DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-09-2008, 07:06 AM

Default Axis Bass Pedals?

Any good? Im thinking about getting some. But they are kind of expensive. I need to know if they are worth it.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:19 PM

Default Re: Axis Bass Pedals?

They are worth it if you are trying to play as fast as you can at a comfortable rate. Really only useful if you play metal, punk, thrash, etc. Do not just get a single pedal. Double pedals are really only worth it.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:05 AM

I've used many pedals over the years and my current weapon of choice is Axis Longboard.

The pedals I've played are; Olmpic 'fishform' (1st ever!), Rogers Swivo, Premier 250S, Tama King Beat, Premier 252, Pearl Eliminator, DW5000, Premier EDP and finally, the Axis.

All pedals were products of their 'time' and offered the best for me and my pocket. Most recently the DW5000 was a big leap forward from the frankly AWFUL Eliminator (just like a guitarist; put it under pressure and it falls apart). Reliable, well built, functional and a pleasure to own!

Some years after the EDP fell from production, I managed to assemble a twin pedal from various sources and it was immediatley promoted to top pedal position. The adjustment on these pedals was/is mind blowing inasmuch; it's far more then any single drummer would need but - it offers the potential to satisfy the needs of many drummers (if they have the time, patience and application to fiddle with it). Sadly, with the EDP going out of production and Premier ceasing spares availibility, along with a couple of common component failures, meant I had to look a similarly spectacular pedal!!

Thankfully, I found the Axis. Straight out of the box, factory 'settings', perfect! I should mention that I use Bigfoot Beaters that IMHO make the 'run-of-the-mill' beaters supplied as standard with most pedals look like the afterthought many probably are. The combination of Axis and Bigfoot gives me the control and power (when needed) so often absent from the more popular and cheaper alternatives.

It really depends on what you want and what you can afford, but if the best is in your crosshairs, then go for it!!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:26 AM
Silver Member

I have size 15 feet and I ordered the Axis AL-2 from a local retailer about two months before Chirstmas this last year. It still hadn't arrived in January. I got impatient and cancelled the order - I was reluctant to do so but did it anyway. Now I'm still stuck with my Gibraltar 9611SD single pedal - which is adequate and I'm adapting with my large "kippers."

I was thinking of going with Pearl double pedals - I'm not playing gigs or anything like that, I'm just wood-sheddin - getting my chops up after being away from it for 31 years!

Mikeellis:
In your opinion would you think there is "no other" pedal comprable to the Axis Longboard given my foot size (15USA sizing)? The pix are me on the Gibraltar pedal and the Pearl H-2000 hatstand.

There are no Axis pedals nearby for me to check out.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Platinum Member

Kona,

Check out Indoor Storm music shop:

http://www.indoorstorm.com

They sell Axis pedals and, in my experience, will NOT jerk you around with delays or anything. They're reliable and professional people who know their instruments. Call or e-mail the store and ask for Barry--he's the drum manager. I think he'll be able to hook you up rather easily with an Axis pedal to suit your feet. (FYI: He's gotten equipment for drummers like Gavin Harrison and other pros, so he's very well thought of.)

Hope that helps!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Kona,

Check out Indoor Storm music shop:

http://www.indoorstorm.com

They sell Axis pedals and, in my experience, will NOT jerk you around with delays or anything. They're reliable and professional people who know their instruments. Call or e-mail the store and ask for Barry--he's the drum manager. I think he'll be able to hook you up rather easily with an Axis pedal to suit your feet. (FYI: He's gotten equipment for drummers like Gavin Harrison and other pros, so he's very well thought of.)

Hope that helps!
Yes - I did check them out. $525 is about the same as I can buy it locally given shipping and brokerage fees I would be paying if ordered from Indoor Storm and the wait there is still 1-3 months. So I would be just as well off ordering again locally and not be so impatient this time. I cancelled the first time because I was told it would be here before Christmas and it wasn't. If I order the next time I'll just wait and when it gets here it gets here.

Connorcor1 :Let me know if you get one and if you're satisfied with the outcome.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc's_finest View Post
They are worth it if you are trying to play as fast as you can at a comfortable rate. Really only useful if you play metal, punk, thrash, etc. Do not just get a single pedal. Double pedals are really only worth it.
You have to be kidding? Do have Axis pedals?

I guess that the Ludwig Speed King is for playing led zeppelin only?

I have Axis A's and I love the direct drive. I aslo have the Trick Bigfoot.
If I where you I would hold on for a while Trick is coming out with a new pedal that will be cheaper then both and still direct drive.http://www.trickdrums.com/ watch the vidio at the bottom of the Pro 1v bass pedal link.

The problem with most drummers trying a direct drive pedal is that they don't take the time to adjust to playing them. Yes it takes some time to get use to the direct drive but in time you will love them. They are not pedals you just go to the local store and try and fall in love with them.
Trick PRO1-V and Axis - pedals
Old 03-10-2008, 03:49 AM

KONA, They are no longer on back order. If you order them now everyone should have them in stock. Axis got a little ( well about 3 months ) behind on there orders. They are or they where the last time I called all filled and shop stock was sent out.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:55 AM

Heyyy. Thanks for the advice guys. Im definately getting the doubles. Most of the music i play is modern death metal (Aside from the occasional prog rock coheed and cambria, rush, or sometimes ill try a bit of Dream Theater)
the longboards look fantastic. And i just noticed Chris Adler, one of my idols, uses them. And yeah, KONA, ive got pretty much the same pedal as you right now. except its the double version.

Last edited by Connorcor1; 03-10-2008 at 03:55 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 AM

Chris Adler does not play Axis pedals anymore. He is in the process of finding new pedals.

Just to let you know.
Don't base your descision on who is playing what pedal. You really need to find what works for you. Direct drives are not for everyone.

If you do get them make sure you can return them in 30 days if you don't like them! There are a lot of top pedals out there.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connorcor1 View Post
And i just noticed Chris Adler, one of my idols, uses them. .
Might want to check that one....seems that Chris made the drop a little while back. Unless he's back..but I hadn't heard as of yet.

Anyways...I play the AL-2's and like was said above...giving it time to settle in is the best medicine for procument of a set of your own.

I'm a size 13 and the longboards make it nice nice.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
Might want to check that one....seems that Chris made the drop a little while back. Unless he's back..but I hadn't heard as of yet.

Anyways...I play the AL-2's and like was said above...giving it time to settle in is the best medicine for procument of a set of your own.

I'm a size 13 and the longboards make it nice nice.
I saw a advertisement in DRUM! magazine for axis and it had chris on it. I'm confused as to why he would leave in the first place. They are the best pedals I have played on besides trick and he hasn't joined with them to my knowledge.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

I just checked out those Trick Pro V1 pedals and watched the promo NAMM video via sickdrummer.com. The Trick rep in the video, JP, says that the pedal will cost more than a Tama Iron Cobra but less than a DW 9000.

I did a random check at West Coast Drums: The single pedal seems to run about $325, but the double bass pedal is around $730!! (Indoor Storm also lists the Trick double bass at over $700, and that's after discount.)

The Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedal is $340. The DW 9000 double bass pedal is $529.

Am I missing something here? Even the Taye XP-1 pedal, which won some awards at last year's NAMM, is $460 for double bass.

$700+ for a Trick double bass pedal seems very excessive.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

We do well with the Axis products. I'm currently playing with a set of Pearl Elims. They're very nice and get the job done but they're a little too heavy for my taste. I've been thinking heavily about upgrading in the near future and my top choices were DW, Taye XP1's, or an AXIS double pedal. Given those choices, I have to lean towards the AXIS heavily simply because they're made in the USA. ;-)
Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 PM

Alright thanks guys. And yeah i saw him on the magazine too. Thats where i got my info from. But im gonna check. Hes not on their website though, so im not sure. Either way. I like the petals i have now (Gibraltar)so if i dont like the axis, i can ust sell them and use my other ones.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Drums View Post
We do well with the Axis products. I'm currently playing with a set of Pearl Elims. They're very nice and get the job done but they're a little too heavy for my taste. I've been thinking heavily about upgrading in the near future and my top choices were DW, Taye XP1's, or an AXIS double pedal. Given those choices, I have to lean towards the AXIS heavily simply because they're made in the USA. ;-)
Hey, I checked out the sight. Think ill start buying from you probably. And that Nick dude is pretty sick. And his kit sounds amazing.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
I just checked out those Trick Pro V1 pedals and watched the promo NAMM video via sickdrummer.com. The Trick rep in the video, JP, says that the pedal will cost more than a Tama Iron Cobra but less than a DW 9000.

I did a random check at West Coast Drums: The single pedal seems to run about $325, but the double bass pedal is around $730!! (Indoor Storm also lists the Trick double bass at over $700, and that's after discount.)

The Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedal is $340. The DW 9000 double bass pedal is $529.

Am I missing something here? Even the Taye XP-1 pedal, which won some awards at last year's NAMM, is $460 for double bass.

$700+ for a Trick double bass pedal seems very excessive.
The new dominator is not out yet! It's the all black pedal at the end of the vidio. Trick has not yet put it on the market. You are looking at the Pro 1V pedal it's not the same pedal!
Old 03-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhitter View Post
KONA, They are no longer on back order. If you order them now everyone should have them in stock. Axis got a little ( well about 3 months ) behind on there orders. They are or they where the last time I called all filled and shop stock was sent out.
Thanks for that hardhitter.
Part of the problem too is ordering through the local retailers. The ones where you can usually get the best prices take so freakin long to get stuff. I live on the West Coast (Canada) and, for instance, when I order something from Long & McQuade it has to come from their warehouse. I usually end up waiting 2-3 months of stuff.

Aside from this - I've tryed a Pearl Eliminator Powershifter dbl pedal (2002b) recently. I may just go with that pedal - it feels okay. But I might just order online if they can get it here in 10d - 2wks.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

From the pic's in post # 4 Kona, it looks like you're only missing a couple of inches at the heel. Standard pedal boards are 10". Axis longboards (and others) are 12", so the Axis long may just do it for you.

Seems like a big leap just to get you're whole foot on the pedal and it sounds like you might not even know what that's like, or if'n you'll even like it. Too bad there's no Longboard around to 'have at it'.

I've suggested this before. Axis will sell you a heel block. This is the heel hinge that supports their longboard. You can design and build a long board for your existing pedal.

This may be easier for some, since it will require working with metal. Machine shop rates aren't cheap either, starting anywhere from $50 p/m min. If you have a kid in school (or are a kid in school) this is a dope metal shop project.

You'll need a custon bottom plate, a simple foot plate, a few holes drilled and your in.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:58 PM

Les Ismore,
There is a video on you tube that I found with a guy making longboard pedals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNCcMV8sh3o

The only problem with this is you don't get the best feature of the Axis, Trick, (new) PDP or the Yamaha. That is the direct drive! I could never go back to a chain or strap. In my opinion it's the drive that makes the pedal not the longboard!

I have bigger feet and I can still do heel toe on the any pedal. The trick to heel toe is learning how to drop your heel with your toes still on the board. It is not the heel producing the hit it's the drop of the heel. I know that the heel hitting the board is the easy way to learn this! I would bet that most drummer use the heel toe or a slide technique and don't even know they are doing it.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
From the pic's in post # 4 Kona, it looks like you're only missing a couple of inches at the heel. Standard pedal boards are 10". Axis longboards (and others) are 12", so the Axis long may just do it for you.

Seems like a big leap just to get you're whole foot on the pedal and it sounds like you might not even know what that's like, or if'n you'll even like it. Too bad there's no Longboard around to 'have at it'.
Les I
When I played drums in the 60's I used an Asba pedal - it was great, but I did have to adapt to it with my large feet - it was a large pedal and one of the better ones, if not the best, 'in-the-day' for people with large feet like myself. I quit playing in 1976 (went to congas) and just took the 'habit' up again last year. I will adapt to any pedal with my 15's. I did try a double Axis of some kind out just about the time I was thinking about buying my shellpack last May and I seem to remember it being a little too "industrial" feeling for me. I think I will be going with the Pearl 2002b - it feels not too bad for me and "not-too-bad" in my case is a winner.

Thanks