DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Maple Stick fans

Well, I finally found what I like in drumsticks. After trying numerous companies and models, I finally found that the trick was in the wood type. Maple is my new friend. I've had maple sticks in the past but only SD1s, SD2s (concert sticks). Well I got to thinking, and I've got a pair of SD4s and SD7s now and love them. I'm through with the balance and durability issues of hickory and the stiffness of oak. Maple sticks are lightweight, last a long time, have a nice rebound, and offer a broader dynamic contrast. Any other fans of maple sticks out there? Vic Firth even makes models like 5a, 7a, 5b in Maple now, and Vater is catching on as well.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Maple Stick fans

I've been curious about maple sticks since I keep going to thinner hickory models for a lighter feel (currently on Vater Manhatten 7As). Might have to give 'em a shot
Old 03-09-2008, 04:37 AM

I've recently been turned on to Maple sticks because I think they make my cymbals sound more in line with the sound I have in my head. I actually bought some Vic Firth maple SD11 Slammer sticks many years ago and never really used them. I finally used them on my regular gig and it gave me a certain sound on my hats that I've been trying to get for a long time. I think maybe the SD11s are no longer in production, but I probably will try out other various models of maple sticks in the future. I recently got the Vater Sugar Maple 8As and I need to use these a bit more to see what I think.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Pioneer Member

The SD11s are still around. I'm liking the SD7s though for a 'loud stick'. It's about the size of a pair of Zildjian 5Bs I've had for some time but never really use because they are too heavy, but the SD7s weigh about as much as a pair of Promark Jazz sticks I have. They have nylon tips too. I used my SD4s on a gig this morning and my SD5 Echoes for a musical last week. Maple seems to be a lot more friendlier :)
Old 03-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Been using the same type of Canadian made maple sticks since I was 18 when I was first introduced to them by a gentleman by the name of Michael Clapham who turned me onto the great jazz stick sound they gave at the old long gone Drum Village drum shop in Vancouver,B.C.. By the way Michael went on to make make the Milestone line of fiberglass drums.

Back then the particular sticks and model I used were called Powertip CC Canada. Made in Canada maple sticks available in the 70' and early 80's. Another Canadian company named Grooves by Hughes also made a similar type of maple stick back then too which I also used. Springing forward to today the same design of early Powertip maple CC sticks are now made by a company called Rimshot in particular their Pro Tip Canadian Rock Maple model sticks. The model I use is the model CC just like the ones Michael turned me onto back in the mid 70's. My all time favorite sticks for jazz playing and glad they are still around and availble in Canada for this happy dedicated user of them.

Here's the only available info on the net I could find on the Rimshot Pro Tip CC maple model I use and other models they sell:

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAM...imshot-US.html

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
The SD11s are still around.
Thanks Cymbalrider. That's good to know. I guess I'll be ordering some more soon then. I'm really liking these!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:08 PM

The SD9 is another nice vic stick. I used to use it a lot for shows, theatre gigs where I had a lot of sudden or extreme dynamic changes. It's kinda like a maple 5B 16 1/4".
Old 03-19-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomos View Post
The SD9 is another nice vic stick. I used to use it a lot for shows, theatre gigs where I had a lot of sudden or extreme dynamic changes. It's kinda like a maple 5B 16 1/4".

+1
The SD9 Driver is made of rock maple and awesome. 5B girth but plays much lighter
Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Back then the particular sticks and model I used were called Powertip CC Canada. Made in Canada maple sticks available in the 70' and early 80's.

Here's one of my 80's Powertip's.

Its a BBB 15 7/8" with a .75 grip and yes, that's 3/4" at the grip, but very light maple. I remember also playing some CCC's don't have examples though.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Back then the particular sticks and model I used were called Powertip CC Canada. Made in Canada maple sticks available in the 70' and early 80's.

Here's one of my 80's Powertip's.

Its a BBB 15 7/8" with a .75 grip and yes, that's 3/4" at the grip, but very light maple. I remember also playing some CCC's don't have examples though.
Cool pics! The old Powertips live! Found some of old ones recently too in a box.

Love the Rimshot Pro Tip CC rock maple sticks currently with the same great light feel,balance with the same degree of comfort in my hands I get from this larger at the back to hold onto tapered sticks of the same design as my old favorite Powertips.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 03-26-2008, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member

Local shop was out of the CC model so I picked up the B model Rimshot Pro Tip rock maple sticks for a change yesterday. Slightly larger rounded tip but around the same width as the CC model and the exact same length with again as with the CC model the same great feel in my hands with their tapered design. The B model has the added girth and a well designed tip to deliver a totally killer ride click sound and a sharp full tone that I love on the drums for jazz. This maple stick and my 22" Agop Sig 2210g ride is an ideal perfect match to my ear and gives me even greater respect for the quality of a particular dark click ride sound that can be achieved with a well designed rock maple sticks. This B size is now another maple favorite well I wait for my next batch of CC's I just ordered to come in. Big fan of maple sticks for sure!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 03-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Pioneer Member

I recently started using Todd Sucherman's Pro Mark Model. I love the weight along with the thickness, rebound, and that higher rim click. I love them!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:58 PM

I play electronics exclusively and switched to the ProMark SD4 (Bruford). I love the weight (or lack thereof). I don't like the finish (too slick) so I dip the butt ends in high gloss polyurethane.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:00 PM

Pro Mark 2B's maple, all the way.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedZ View Post
+1
The SD9 Driver is made of rock maple and awesome. 5B girth but plays much lighter
Yeah, it's awesome. I took a lesson last week and my instructor turned me on to maple.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:24 AM
Pioneer Member

Maple sticks are great. Im a huge fan of the vicfirth Jazz maple sticks.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:38 PM

Sugar Maple all the way, but can only buy over the phone from one place in the UK so think i gave the old guy a shock when i just order a box of 12 sets just in case a while back. Lovely 5A sticks, they are the stick i have always been looking for... (sounds like a love film).
Old 04-14-2008, 12:53 PM

Yep, love maple. My favourites are Vic Firth SD2s.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 AM

Yep, I'm a maple stick fan, too. I use the Vater Piccolo, when I can find them.

I try to practice using hickory sticks now and then, just to keep the strength in the wrists and hands. (Don't know if this works, but I have noticed the weight difference when I switch back to hickory, so I guess it can't hurt...)
Old 04-16-2008, 05:18 AM
Pioneer Member

I'm going to try Vater maple sticks next, but there just seems to be no where to order them from. I want to try the 5A and Super Jazz. (I have a pair of Super Jazz hickory but they are REALLY heavy for something so thin and they sound that way too...the rim click sound is a sort of dull thwack instead of a nice ''chop'' sound...They are extremely durable though)
Old 04-16-2008, 11:10 AM

SD10's for me. I usually carry about 4 models of stick, from 7a up to the vinnie colauita model, including brushes and chopsticks.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:52 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Well, I finally found what I like in drumsticks. After trying numerous companies and models, I finally found that the trick was in the wood type. Maple is my new friend. I've had maple sticks in the past but only SD1s, SD2s (concert sticks). Well I got to thinking, and I've got a pair of SD4s and SD7s now and love them. I'm through with the balance and durability issues of hickory and the stiffness of oak. Maple sticks are lightweight, last a long time, have a nice rebound, and offer a broader dynamic contrast. Any other fans of maple sticks out there? Vic Firth even makes models like 5a, 7a, 5b in Maple now, and Vater is catching on as well.
Pro Mark says that Maple has quite a bit less durability....but, ....based on this thread, maybe not?! Hmmmmmm

I'd love to try Maple with it's lighter weight, you can get more mass w/ less, but I'm concerned about durability.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Silver Member

I found that Iike wood tip because I get a better blend for buzz rolls on snare drums and liked the sound of hickory tips on cymbals,but one day I found some inexpensive maple sticks(they were called on stage)with a nylon tip and found that I got a nice blend on the snare and the tips sounded good on cymbals too,the maple seemed to feather with use buy by the time they wore out was about the same as when the hickory tips would chip off so durability was about even,plus for me they are a fast stick
Old 09-07-2009, 01:50 AM

I have used maple sticks for a long time. Mostly Vic Firth SD4. Love the feel and the cymbal response with maple. Great for Jazz.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:56 PM

I have used maple sticks and I really like them a lot more than hickory. The lightness just helps out so much. My favorite I've used is the SD4 Combo, but it's pretty short. Does anyone know a long maple stick, preferably the size of a 5A?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:40 PM

I definitely am a fan of maple sticks. Pretty much the only stick I use these days is the Vic Firth American Heritage 7A. Yummy.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'm a maple stick fan myself. You can have a light stick without compromising on size. I never understood guys using 7A. There's too little stick to grab, too little contact for good control.

I like VF AH5A. Give Vater Super Jazz a try.