DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-08-2008, 02:12 AM

Default Gibraltar v Pearl Hardware

When I bought my Gretsch kit three years ago I also bought the Gibraltar 5600 series hardware pack. This hardware is double braced and is no heaver than the Slingerland hardware I had been using. The 5600 series is great medium duty hardware and doesn’t need to be any heaver than it is.

Now I forward to my purchase of my new Sonor 6 piece shell pack. Along with the drums I ordered a Pearl Export hardware pack that MF had on sale for $149 and I had a 10% off coupon that got me the pack for $135. The hardware was back ordered and arrived today. This hardware will never leave the house. It Too Dam Heavy! Really it’s constructed great but if I put this in my hardware case I will never be able to lift it. Well maybe not that bad but you really don’t need hardware that heavy unless you have people to help carry it for you.

So for me if you want good manageable hardware the Gibraltar 5600 series is the stuff to get. And you won’t get a hernia moving it around.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:59 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gibraltar v Pearl Hardware

I just picked up a Pearl 800W, and yes it is very heavy but on the plus side i could hang a bowling ball from one end and it would remain standing. I guess it just comes down to how much you gig. IMO I think the extra weight is worth it, lets hear what others say...

Old 03-08-2008, 04:07 AM

Hey, I use Pearl hardware and I think its the best hardware you can get. But I do admit my cymbal boom stand is kinda heavey compare to my other pearl stand I have (straight stand).But its still the best hardware, and i know its going to last.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

I gig'd for years with Tama double braced Titan hardware. I had a hardware bag custom made, and yeah, it was a boat anchor to carry. I run all single braced Yamaha 600 and 700 series stands now. No, I don't think the "extra weight" is needed. I show up to a gig with certain sized cymbals, and in 30 some years, never once have I had my cymbals "get bigger and/or heavier" during a gig.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
I just picked up a Pearl 800W, and yes it is very heavy but on the plus side i could hang a bowling ball from one end and it would remain standing. I guess it just comes down to how much you gig. IMO I think the extra weight is worth it, lets hear what others say...
I gig on average about 50+ times a year and have never had a problem with hardware not being well built and doing its job (see 1964 exception). Well built does not mean it has to be heavy to perform well. However “Well Built” does mean it will hold up. I’ve owned Pearl, Tama, Sonor, Slingerland, Yamaha, & Gibraltar. With exception of the early Slingerland stuff, 1964 hardware all that I have owned has been well made. The new Pearl hardware is certainly well made but compared to the Gibraltar and Sonor hardware I currently use there is a noticeable difference in weight. Bottom line is if the lighter hardware performs why carry around the heavier stuff, hell I’m 58. Oh yea I hang a 10 tom off one stand and two cymbals off an other, a 20 and 18 inch and all is well. For the Pearl lovers they have a great product in both their drums and hardware and I was not putting down their product, only commenting on the weight and my preference for the lighter gear. The price was certainly right and will work fine with my practice kit. In fact I would recommend the Pearl Export Hardware Pack to anyone in need of quality hardware at an affordable price.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ack?sku=448976
Old 03-11-2008, 10:41 AM

I own pearl hardware, 70 series and some 1000 series and really its great hardware maybe a little on the heavy side but I dont gig yet so I dont much care, also it might just be me but I think pearl hardware looks the best, most other hardware just dosent look as good to me, of course not saying other hardware isnt as good quality, im just saying I think pearl hardware looks better.