DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 04-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Getting new pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
The eliminators are great pedals, and I'm not just one of those first feel and love people. I have tried each cam and have noticed an incredible difference, and if you have played on the powershifter (the stock pedal) imagine that, but a much smoother feel, dont think looser, but a more inviting feel, like it allows you a more natural feel of dropping and lifting your foot, unlike the powershifter that has that feeling that is like, be careful how you drop your foot on me because I might not come back at the same speed. Anyway if anyone has any other ways I can describe it let me know.
Is it good for high-speed? I believe your a metal drummer, too. So far I think The Axis pedals were the best for high speed with the IC's in close second. I didn't get to try all the upgrades on the Elims so I'm still not sure.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Mystic

Well I am a metal drummer, but I don't focus on speed, I kind of focus on using hand and foot technique as well as using speed, but if your looking for insane speed, axis is probably your best bet, I listened to inferno from Behemoth and he uses axis, and omg........ he is one of the fastest if not the fastest drummer I have heard, the eliminators are good for fast double bass but not out of this world fast like you would get from axis, but they are very nice if you are looking for a more technical and easy to control feeling.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Well I am a metal drummer, but I don't focus on speed, I kind of focus on using hand and foot technique as well as using speed, but if your looking for insane speed, axis is probably your best bet, I listened to inferno from Behemoth and he uses axis, and omg........ he is one of the fastest if not the fastest drummer I have heard, the eliminators are good for fast double bass but not out of this world fast like you would get from axis, but they are very nice if you are looking for a more technical and easy to control feeling.
haha Inferno, love him.

Dave Lombardo uses IC's though, and you haven't heard insane speed until you see his 20seconds of strait blast beat in "Slayer-Angel of Death (download 2005)"
Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 AM

My drum teacher uses axis and he said he doesn't like them because they feel so awkward. He said he can't change because he's so used to axis. But he said if he had the choice he would pick iron cobras. I'm getting them over the summer. I tried the axis they felt totally different form my pdps and i sucked on them.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
So you've decided now? Dang, I'm way behind. I take forever to get my gear.

To quote The Toadies, "Beeeee patient."

To me, buying the pedals is a big damn deal. You go wrong and you lose money and are left wanting. And after all that bad juju, you still replace them with other pedals.

I, too, agonized over my pedal purchase (IC btw) and played the 5002 and the Elims in the process. I never ventured into the Axis or Trick realm, b/c of average size 10 feet and wanting to stay sub-$400. I have no regrets on my IC purchase and hope you feel the same when you pull the trigger on whatever you buy.

All my drum purchases came with much consideration and "field intelligence." The only purchase I've made and had great regret was my Gibraltar UA hi-hat stand. It is, not coincidentally, the only purchase I bought "blind." Keep doing all this hard, yet fun work of soliciting your drumming brethren and do not buy a thing until you have played all your candidates. Good luck.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 04-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

Post #4- my next pedal is going to be the trick because of its ability to change from one double, to two singles.

Axis can also be set up to change a double into two singles.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
... my next pedal is going to be the trick because of its ability to change from one double, to two singles.
Just about any good double pedal has this ability. My 15 year old Gibraltar Intruder double pedal (and yes, some not so good double pedals) has this ability. The tell-tale sign is usually the hoop clamp on the slave pedal.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:26 AM

Bought: Pearl Eliminator 2002c, NIB, complete w/ all bells and whistles for $247 USD.

Will be here on Monday.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:32 PM

I play an Iron Cobra Poweglide pedal, but I much perfer the feel of the DW 5000's, so If I were you I'd add those to your list. They are very nice pedals regardless of what negative sentiment people have against DW.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:53 PM

Hi all,
I haven't been on this thread in a while but glad to see it's still alive and "kickin" (no pun intended). Well, I went to a somewhat local music store this weekend and I had the chance to FINALLY play most of the double-pedals that were on my list....thought I'd share my findings by comparing them to each other and to the pedals I currently play.
I tried the DW5002 (Accelerator), DW9002, Pearl Elims, and a used pair of Axis XL-2 longboards. They had sold the last pair of IC's the night before I got there and didn't have any Axis AL-2's in stock so those were the only two I haven't tried. My local shop has the IC (Power Glides) in stock and I will try those out on Wednesday - will also update this thread with my findings afterward. Below are the prices (in Canadian $) and a little spiel on each:

Yamaha "Flying Dragon" DFP9310 ($385.00) - These are the pedals I currently own. They are definitely solid and definitely smooth. My problem with these is that they offer little power, and speed capability is lacking as well. In addition, they don't have many adjustments that will make them faster and more powerful. I suppose I could try customizing it by throwing on different springs, heavier beaters, beater weights, etc. but that adds cost to an already fairly expensive pedal and all for the HOPE that it will perform better for me. I'd rather buy a pedal that feels great out of the box and includes it's own adjustability options for fine-tuning (I.E. the Elims and DW9002).

DW5002AD3 ($389.95) - Definitely a good pedal....but not a great pedal. And at that price, I'm not sure what all the hype is about. The 9000's, Elims, and Axis all outperformed this model.

DW9002PC ($429.90) - Much better than it's little brother, the 5000. It's solid, smooth and powerful and certainly worth the extra $40.....if you MUST have a DW. I didn't find the springs (mounted inside of the upright bars of the housing VS. on the outside of those bars on every other pedal) to get in the way at all, but I play in socks and have narrow feet. If you have wider feet and play in shoes, this might be an issue for you. If so, the DW8002 might be a good alternative. I didn't play the 8000's but I understand they are VERY similar to the 9000's but with the springs on the outside.
*note - I set the cam to the offset/accelerator end

Pearl P2002C Eliminator ($280.00) - Since I owned the single version of this pedal for about one year, I pretty much knew what to expect. They played great. Smooth, solid feel and plenty of power. It offers more adjustments than any other model of pedal.....AND at a tremendous value. Overall, I admit the DW9000 felt a little more solid than the Pearl, but not THAT much more solid and certainly not enough to justify spending the extra $150 it would cost to go with the 9000's. From a reliability standpoint, I can say that I never had a problem with the single Elim I owned. Some say that a molded/plastic cam would be susceptible to breaking (especially for heavy players), but I disagree. I'm not an overly heavy player, but some songs I play do require more thump and the pedal stood up to that just fine. Also, if a cam were to break it would be both much cheaper and much easier to replace since they pop in and out with the push of a button than a cam that is fixed/attached would be. With other pedals, the cam itself would be costly, availability might be an issue, repair costs (labour) would be expensive, and even if you did it yourself, it would be time-consuming. With the Pearl cams, just swing by a store that carries Pearl pedals, buy the cam-pack, put the new cam in and you're ready to go. If it were to break on you during a gig, at least you can throw in one of the other three cams and finish your set. What would you do in that situation with any other pedal? I know it's rare (hopefully it will never happen to me) and many of you have a back-up pedal that you take to shows, but I don't. I have enough gear to lug around and it's expensive to buy another pair of pedals.
*note - I used the blue offset cam. All other adjustments were left to Pearl's factory settings.

Axis XL-2 Longboards ($570.00) - WOW. These things were awesome! In terms of speed, they were definitely the fastest and easiest to use to obtain rolls, and also very smooth. Until I tried this pedal, I was only able to get the "heel-toe roll" thing going with my right foot (and even then not with a lot of consistency), but I was able to do it with both feet on these pedals - I'm still kinda new to double-pedals. Not sure if my achieving this was an Axis thing or simply a longboard thing, but either way, I loved'em. For power, it was equivalent to the Elims and DW9000's. It felt very solid, but a lighter-weight solid because they are made from aluminum (albeit aircraft-grade according to Axis' website), where as other pedal brands use a lot more steel and feel more "heavy-duty". Oh, and keep in mind that these pedals were used, and from the looks of them, quite used. I can't imagine how good a new pair would feel. My only issues with these are that they don't come with a carry case (and for that price I don't think throwing in a proper carry case is unreasonable since all the other pedals come with one - c'mon Axis). I also didn't like that the wing-nut which fastens the pedal's hoop-clamp to the bass drum's hoop is directly under the footboard. Why not put it off to the side like all the other high-end pedal manufacturers do so it's easier to access? Again, not an overly big deal, but I'd rather not get down on all fours and crawl around my kit (especially on a venue's dirty stage) just to get my hand under the footboard to attach/detach my pedal from my bass drum. Nor do I want to contort my hand and arm and struggle to try and do it while sitting on my throne. Finally, I found that the tops of my toes would hit the bottom of that that bar that comes over the top of the front of the footboard (where the beater and direct drive attach to the pedal) especially when rolling my feet to obtain multiple strokes. I've never experienced this with any other pedal but it does hurt after a while because the bar is square-shaped and has hard, sharp edges. It didn't happen on regular playing though - only when doing rolls. I would likely tape some padding under there if I bought these pedals.
*note - I used the Pearl Quad-beaters on this pedal since the store did not have the Axis beaters

In conclusion, I want to try the Axis AL-2 (and a NEW XL-2 if I could) before I make my decision and will likely end up with one of those or the Pearl Eliminator. I have heard of some reliability issues with Axis so I will do some more research in the meantime. Also, availability with Axis models is a bit of an issue and the only store that has the AL-2 in stock is about 2 hours away. I can't find any store that has the XL-2 new and in stock. The best price I could get quoted for the AL-2 was $680.00

I will try the IC's too but I assume they will fall somewhere around the DW's and Pearls, but with less adjustability and a snappier spring. The best price I could get on the IC's was $319.00

Please keep in mind that my "review" above is strictly my opinion based on my experience. I realize that we all have different styles, strengths, weaknesses, preferences, ergonomic needs, etc. but I thought I'd share it in case any of you find value in it.

Metal Overlord, since you started this thread and since we both have big-@$$ feet, I hope this helps you with your decision. Of course, I still say try them all out yourself and come to your own conclusion.

If this happens to help you or anyone else along the way, then all the better.

All the best,

- Mike
Old 04-15-2008, 05:27 PM

I know everyone says that to pick out a double pedal go to your local music store and try out every pedal you can, due to preferences. But i've never played a double kick before, so should i still go to try out a bunch? Or are there certain pedals that are easy to learn on, etc?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:32 AM

Hey Mathil8,
Yes, definitely. Bass drum pedals are one of the most important pieces of your kit since we drummers use them ALL the time. Even if you haven't played a double kick before I still recommend that you try as many as you can before deciding. When you try them, close your eyes and focus on the FEEL of each pedal. Pay attention to comfort, sturdiness, power, smoothness and vary your speed so you can see how each pedal performs in different scenarios. If after all that you still haven't come to a conclusion on which is the clear-cut "winner" for you, then go with something adjustable so you can make alterations as you grow into playing double pedals and figure out what your own preferences and needs are (I.E. DW9000's, Pearl Eliminators). Hope this helps.

All the best,

Mike
Old 04-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc's_finest View Post
My drum teacher uses axis and he said he doesn't like them because they feel so awkward. He said he can't change because he's so used to axis. But he said if he had the choice he would pick iron cobras. I'm getting them over the summer. I tried the axis they felt totally different form my pdps and i sucked on them.
If he doesn't like them and really wanted to change he could, he just has to take the time to adjust to the new pedals or the IC just isn't the right pedal for him. Axis does truly have a unique feel to them, also if I was you I'd go try all the pedals I could before spending my money on a set because your teacher recommended them. What works for him may not work for you ;-)
Old 04-18-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Dangerous View Post
Hey Mathil8,
Yes, definitely. Bass drum pedals are one of the most important pieces of your kit since we drummers use them ALL the time. Even if you haven't played a double kick before I still recommend that you try as many as you can before deciding. When you try them, close your eyes and focus on the FEEL of each pedal. Pay attention to comfort, sturdiness, power, smoothness and vary your speed so you can see how each pedal performs in different scenarios. If after all that you still haven't come to a conclusion on which is the clear-cut "winner" for you, then go with something adjustable so you can make alterations as you grow into playing double pedals and figure out what your own preferences and needs are (I.E. DW9000's, Pearl Eliminators). Hope this helps.

All the best,

Mike
Thanks man, i'll take what you said to heart. Still going to learn more on single i think (just bought my first kit a couple of months ago), figure it's better to learn on single, then convert to double so i'm not completely dependant on the double for fast licks. I'm pretty sure this is the way to go, but if i'm mistaken please correct me :P.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathil8 View Post
Thanks man, i'll take what you said to heart. Still going to learn more on single i think (just bought my first kit a couple of months ago), figure it's better to learn on single, then convert to double so i'm not completely dependant on the double for fast licks. I'm pretty sure this is the way to go, but if i'm mistaken please correct me :P.
This seems pretty sensible. You can get quite fast on one foot anyway, and if you new-ish - would concentrate on learning the basics etc.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shoes View Post
This seems pretty sensible. You can get quite fast on one foot anyway, and if you new-ish - would concentrate on learning the basics etc.
Yeah, i figured it would be the best approach. I know a few people who basically started out on double kick, and for anything 'remotely' fast, they depend on the double kick.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathil8 View Post
Yeah, i figured it would be the best approach. I know a few people who basically started out on double kick, and for anything 'remotely' fast, they depend on the double kick.

I started out on a double kick. Kinda, not really "started out" more like "got into it".
But what I did was train both feet. I got them both nice and fast, so I can play some fast single bass (on certian gigs when a double bass is too much) Because I don't own a double pedal. What I do now is putting accents and "unique touches" on my double bass work. Although, with my Pearl P-120P, it sounds a bit clanky still.

Anyway though, what's the differance in XL and AL? XL is the one with the mushroom beater head, and AL is the sonic hammer. I know that, but, is there a major differance in playing? I've yet to see a XL-2 anywhere.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Anyway though, what's the differance in XL and AL? XL is the one with the mushroom beater head, and AL is the sonic hammer. I know that, but, is there a major differance in playing? I've yet to see a XL-2 anywhere.
Hey Metal,
Besides the different beaters, the AL also comes with the Variable Drive Lever. The VDL allows you to change the feel of the pedal (for power and speed mostly). Think of it as kind of an adjustable cam - basically it's like an Axis version of DW's Infinite Adjustable Cam found on their 9000 series. By changing the positioning, you can move it from a round-cam feel to an offset-cam feel.
The XL has a fixed point set-up (they call it a Strap Assembly even though it's a metal direct-drive) and the position is not adjustable. Check these links for Axis' description:

http://www.axispercussion.com/longboards.html#v_drive
http://www.axispercussion.com/longboards.html#strap

From the pictures, the XL looks like it would be more solid, even though it's less expensive. The AL's VDL moves across what looks like a pin, and considering the amount of stress and torque that your downstrokes put on that point of the pedal (it's connected right to the direct-drive from the footboard), I'm not sure how it would stand up - especially for heavy players. Again these are pics so I'd have to see it in person. I did play an XL double about a week ago (along with many other pedals that day) - check out my review below. Hope it helps.

To you Axis players out there, maybe you can shed some more light on the Variable Drive Lever. Is it reliable/durable? Is it a good feature in general? If you like the feel of the XL's, is there any advantage to spending the extra $$ on the AL's? Please let us know.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-27-2008, 03:39 AM
Gold Member

Well...I just played some Elims and I loved them. Love the ajustable stuff! But, the footboard was not big enough.
They did feala bit heavy though. But their my neighbors and I don't think he'll let me mess with them at all.

Last edited by metal overlord; 04-27-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:15 PM

I have had both Iron Cobras and DW 9000's. I prefer the DW 9000's. Smooth, light and crazy fast. I've heard great things about those Trick pedals but I can't convince myself that they are worth $739.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobob View Post
I have had both Iron Cobras and DW 9000's. I prefer the DW 9000's. Smooth, light and crazy fast. I've heard great things about those Trick pedals but I can't convince myself that they are worth $739.
The problem I had with them was those big bulky beaters. Would they be better with smaller beaters? Because right now I use the Yamaha wood beaters, and their light and small.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Gold Member

I just played some AL-2s and I think I died and went to heaven.
They require no effort at all! Oh my god, smooth and light, but hits hard.

But they were on display. I have to wait 2 weeks for a "new" model to come in.
I'll just pre-order them. This are the pedals I will get.

No chain or felt drive. Just a metal bar like Yamaha's. They just glide, so smooth, so fast. Best pedal I have ever played, ever.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 AM

Hey Metal,

Glad to hear you finally made a decision and found what you were looking for!!

I think I'm going to go the same way....except in the Classic Black finish.

Enjoy man!!

- Mike
Old 07-30-2008, 01:05 PM

So this thread settled all the questions I had about procuring new pedals, thanks again.

I look forward to trying out some Axis hardware for the record haha.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hey Metal,

Glad to hear you finally made a decision and found what you were looking for!!

I think I'm going to go the same way....except in the Classic Black finish.

Enjoy man!!

- Mike
I wanted those, hopefully the new Axis shipment at Sam Ash will have those.
Those look awesome.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I wanted those, hopefully the new Axis shipment at Sam Ash will have those.
Those look awesome.
For sure man. I like the look of the Classic Black's way more than the regular model. Even better - the CB's are anodized aluminum which strengthens the metal and even makes them more resistant to nicks and scratches.

Oh btw - The best price I've found on these is through Cascio Interstate Music for $519. Not sure but I think Sam Ash charges more. Hope that helps.

- Mike
Old 08-18-2008, 05:55 AM

I tried out everything from the dw9000 to the cheapo's when I went from a double bass to single bass kit. $ was not really an issue, I wanted to feel like I was still playing 2 bass drums.So finally I ended up with a $99 Pulse double pedal. They got horrible reviews but they felt better to me than any of them out there. They are well built with a double chain drive, not the single tiny one some have, plus they had an extra spring for the slave pedal. Think about it....your moving all that extra weight with it, it needs more spring to make it feel like your right foot and not lag behind.It was the only one that had the extra spring.
They aren't built quite as heavy duty as the expensive ones but they are very solid and for $99 if they break in a couple years get a new one.As for feel and speed I can play as fast on them as any pedal.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:29 PM

The AXIS' have arrived!!!!! AL-2CB Baby!!!!!

I played them for the first time last night and they are soooo sweet!!!!!
And...they only took 5 five business days to ship from Buffalo (regular post thru USPS) which was impressive.
Check-em out:
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
The AXIS' have arrived!!!!! AL-2CB Baby!!!!!

I played them for the first time last night and they are soooo sweet!!!!!
And...they only took 5 five business days to ship from Buffalo (regular post thru USPS) which was impressive.
Check-em out:
Way nice!

I ordered those last year from a local drum store and they were taking forever so I cancelled the order. I settled for the Gibraltar 9611-dp. It's okay, but I think the Axis ones you have there are better for sure. Have fun. (I'm still waiting for my Edge snare - lol !).

Kona
Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 PM

ok first off if its speed i dont like iron cobras but pearl makes good pedals axis whats to say we know what they can do also iv heard not to great things on trick but check them out... unfortunatly for me my local gc and got sh** for double pedals
Old 08-28-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONA View Post
Way nice!

I ordered those last year from a local drum store and they were taking forever so I cancelled the order. I settled for the Gibraltar 9611-dp. It's okay, but I think the Axis ones you have there are better for sure. Have fun. (I'm still waiting for my Edge snare - lol !).

Kona
LOL - Thanks, man.......and I will !!!!!
Keep me posted on the DW thing.
If you still want a pair of Axis pedals, I have a contact in the U.S. that can get them to you for a good price.

- Mike
Old 08-28-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacdrummer3 View Post
So ive been looking into these axis pedals and from what i have heard they seem to be quite good. I have a couple questions about them though.
1. Does the direct linkage to the beater from the pedal make it smoother, or is it one of those things you really have to get use to?
2. Do they come in a lefty model?
Anyways if i could get longboard axis pedals lefty then i would be set.
You've heard right. They're fantastic!!

1. I think it's super smooth. Whether it's smoother or whether it takes some getting used to or not will depend on the drummer. This is my first direct-drive pedal and I had no problems just jumping on and going at it.

2. Yes. The below is right from their website, http://www.axispercussion.com/ :
Does Axis make a left hand version?
Yes. All A and X series pedals have a left hand version. What makes the left version different from the right is the axles on the slave pedal and the auxiliary beater are threaded in reverse of the right hand pedal and the bridge is entirely different (much larger on the left version). The auxiliary beater arm is reversed on the left version.

I guess you're all set then. Longboards are available in both the X and A series (X-L2 and A-L2, respectively). I prefer the A because they are more adjustable (especially with the Variable Drive Lever) and come with a better beater, for just a little more money. I tried the X too though and it was awesome as well. Go try them for yourself at your local music store. That's the best way to find out if they really are for you.

Hope that helps,

Mike
Old 08-28-2008, 07:52 PM

Thanks alot. Good to know they come in left. Im going to probaly go buy them as soon as i can. Im going to go with the a series, and reverse thread is awesome. I want all my stuff to be reverse thread because im left and the way i hit always loosens it or eventually goes way to much to the left and falls off. So actually having it being reverse thread is great. Thx for the help. Im going to go out this weekend and order a pair of double axis pedals a series. I will probably change the beater though. I have two really nice ones at home, but im definitely going to see if i like the axis beaters more. Anyways appreciate the input.

here i come axis

keep it thrash

Quote:
You've heard right. They're fantastic!!

1. I think it's super smooth. Whether it's smoother or whether it takes some getting used to or not will depend on the drummer. This is my first direct-drive pedal and I had no problems just jumping on and going at it.

2. Yes. The below is right from their website, http://www.axispercussion.com/ :
Does Axis make a left hand version?
Yes. All A and X series pedals have a left hand version. What makes the left version different from the right is the axles on the slave pedal and the auxiliary beater are threaded in reverse of the right hand pedal and the bridge is entirely different (much larger on the left version). The auxiliary beater arm is reversed on the left version.

I guess you're all set then. Longboards are available in both the X and A series (X-L2 and A-L2, respectively). I prefer the A because they are more adjustable (especially with the Variable Drive Lever) and come with a better beater, for just a little more money. I tried the X too though and it was awesome as well. Go try them for yourself at your local music store. That's the best way to find out if they really are for you.

Hope that helps,

Mike
Old 08-29-2008, 10:12 AM

No prob, nac. Glad I could help. Enjoy!!

- Mike
Old 09-03-2008, 04:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Keep me posted on the DW thing.

If you still want a pair of Axis pedals, I have a contact in the U.S. that can get them to you for a good price.

- Mike
I will keep you posted (I can feel / sense a snare on it's way from DW right now).

I'm happy with my Gibraltar pedals for now, but I'll be buying the AL-2 pedals if I decide to try something else.

I see Carl Palmer is using Axis pedals too........you're in good company!

Kona
Old 09-04-2008, 08:37 AM

My first double pedal was the pearl eliminator. I didn't have any problems what so ever but I heard axis was the smoothest all fastest of all. so for my bday i ordered them. I spend so much time adjusting them, and the screws kept stripping, i was on the phone with there techs more than I was enjoying them. Its all a matter of opinion. I brought them over to my friends and he hated them. Sure they are smooth and quick but u don't get volume. Theses pedals with those who play with triggers. plus u use different muscles for longboards. I sold them and got an iron cobra powerglide.

So far its pretty swift and there are lots of adjustments and no hastle. the slave is reallllyyyyy slow tho. Ive tried everything to fix it. Im still working on the technique but they seem nice and I love the strength they have.

I say go for pearls. I recorded, played shows, and practice tons on them and I didnt have any problems. I miss them.

TRY each out before u buy tho. don't go from pedal that u think is faster. because the most reliable i had was the pearl. and thats the truth
Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumenvy@hotmail.com View Post
My first double pedal was the pearl eliminator. I didn't have any problems what so ever but I heard axis was the smoothest all fastest of all. so for my bday i ordered them. I spend so much time adjusting them, and the screws kept stripping, i was on the phone with there techs more than I was enjoying them. Its all a matter of opinion. I brought them over to my friends and he hated them. Sure they are smooth and quick but u don't get volume. Theses pedals with those who play with triggers. plus u use different muscles for longboards. I sold them and got an iron cobra powerglide.

So far its pretty swift and there are lots of adjustments and no hastle. the slave is reallllyyyyy slow tho. Ive tried everything to fix it. Im still working on the technique but they seem nice and I love the strength they have.

I say go for pearls. I recorded, played shows, and practice tons on them and I didnt have any problems. I miss them.

TRY each out before u buy tho. don't go from pedal that u think is faster. because the most reliable i had was the pearl. and thats the truth
Just out of curiousity...

Which screws were stripping on your Axis pedals? I had no problems with anything like that when I was setting mine up. There are some "set screws" that you aren't supposed to touch but those are clearly marked on both the pedals and also in the instructions. Did you try adjusting those??

I agree that the initial set-up with Axis can be a little bit longer than with "regular" pedals because of all the adjustments they come with, but once you set them the way you like, you're done. Now, I can tear mine down and set them up again in no time because all of the adjustment options are set - it's just the beater shafts and connecting rod to deal with, but that's the same for any double pedal. Actually, if you get the Axis carry-case, you don't even need to worry about the beater shafts. Heck, I've even seen some drummers transport their pedals by just putting one pedal over the other, leaving everything connected, and placing them in a gym bag.

Also, I'm not sure how or why you found you weren't getting enough volume out of them. I find them to be just as powerful if not more powerful than any other pedal I've played.

Regarding the Iron Cobra, I've never owned one myself, but I did try it out for a while and I never found the slave pedal to be slow....or at least not any slower than the slave for any other double pedal, and certainly not as slow as you describe.

Please don't mistake my comments/questions above to be derogatory in any way as that wasn't my intention. I just don't understand how you experienced those problems or came to those conclusions. Drummers all have different personal preferences and needs (especially when it comes to pedals), so I can understand why different drummers choose diffrerent models of pedals as the best for them. What you described above though was more along the lines of problematic issues, not issues related to feel or other types of personal preferences.

I do very much agree with what you said about the Pearl Eliminator. IMO, it's hands-down the best standard pedal out there (by "standard" I mean not a longboard, duallist, Giant Steps, etc. type of pedal) AND it's the best bang for your buck. Great pedal!!

"Try before you buy" is always sound advice...and a recurring theme on this forum :-)

- Mike
Old 09-07-2008, 07:50 PM

It was clear that my axis pedal was a lemon. Everything just went wrong. Even after careful set-up and tech support. They sent me about 3 pairs of screws and had to replace the slave pedal. but atleast they did it for free. My point was that the more adjustments the more hastle. just try before you buy. the axis also does not work with the gibralter practice pad. i found that out the hard way. As for the cobras, Im pretty sure i just have to lube it up. its squeaking way to much.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumenvy@hotmail.com View Post

I liked the Eliminators, too.
And after playing alot of IC's, they never had a slow slave.
Axis pedals, maybe yours was just bad?
Im so far hopefully going to get the Axis anyway though.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:35 PM

I'd suggest the Pearls, Im gonna be getting those when i get new pedals. good things being said about them