DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 03-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Gold Member

Default Getting new pedals

Ok, so now the new kit thing and the cymbals all over with (Thank god..). I'm going to need new pedals. I was going to get Iron Cobra's, but seeing how I'ved saved more, i'de think i'de take it a little farther.

I'm not looking to spend over $700.

My first choices are:
Iron Cobras (yes, they're still on my list)
Axis Al-2 (double pedal longboards, the one with the "sonic hammer")
Pearl Eliminators
Trick Pro 1-V Detonators (bit to expencive, but it could be worth it)
DW 9002 turbo (I think that was it)

Anybody have input, ideas, or suggestions? So far, after playing nearly all of them, the AL-2 and the IC were the best. But with the 9000s, they had big bulky beaters on them. So I don't know how'd they feel with wood ones.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:41 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Getting new pedals

Ide say go for the pearls, they are priced well and are a great pedal.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:47 AM

I remember seeing a thread on the pearl forums about 9000's breaking a lot, specifically the footboard itself. Personally I would probably go for the Eliminator or IC, but I have always wanted to try an Axis pedal. If you buy an Axis or Trick I would make sure to try one out first because I have heard they feel much different from anything else.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

the tricks are godly, but the pearls and tamas have much better bang for the buck. my next pedal is going to be the trick because of its ability to change from one double, to two singles. try it out and you will fall in love

Old 03-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp View Post
Ide say go for the pearls, they are priced well and are a great pedal.
I'm thinking about getting a Pearl Dbl pedal system. I have large feet and, after much thought and looking at them, ordered the Axis AL-2 - it was taking forever to arrive so I cancelled the order - maybe I shouldn't have, but it was to be a Christmas gift from my wife to me and it was ordered months before Chirstmas and it wasn't here by January.

Now I have to find a pedal that will reasonably accommodate my size 15 feet!

I have a Pearl H-2000 hatstand and it's working fine for me - I like the little grippy-things on the foot plate.

All those high end pedals look great. But I must say Pearl has some nice stuff and I'm leaning to them so far.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONA View Post
I'm thinking about getting a Pearl Dbl pedal system. I have large feet and, after much thought and looking at them, ordered the Axis AL-2 - it was taking forever to arrive so I cancelled the order - maybe I shouldn't have, but it was to be a Christmas gift from my wife to me and it was ordered months before Chirstmas and it wasn't here by January.

Now I have to find a pedal that will reasonably accommodate my size 15 feet!

I have a Pearl H-2000 hatstand and it's working fine for me - I like the little grippy-things on the foot plate.

All those high end pedals look great. But I must say Pearl has some nice stuff and I'm leaning to them so far.
See, I can buy them from my local store. Although I can't try them, I can buy them right there. There behind the glass case =(

I need longboards because, like you, my foot doesn't fit on normal ones. I'm a size 14 1/2

Last edited by metal overlord; 04-01-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post

So far, after playing nearly all of them, the AL-2 and the IC were the best.
Then I think it's either one, or the other. Unless you try out more and find one that wins out over these choices.
Quote:
See, I can buy them from my local store. Although I can't try them, I can buy them right there. There behind the glass case =(
And if you've been able to try "nearly" all of them out somewhere else, I'd give THAT store my business. Sounds like your local isn't really doing you, or any other drummer, any favors. Sounds like a Spinal Tap skit... "you can look at the pedals, but you can't play them. Actually, you can look at the boxes. We can't take them out of the boxes."
Old 03-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

Yeah...what's up with that...can look but don't touch?

I'd go with what "felt" best...but in the case of not being able to test drive, tat seems like a taller order than most. I'd try and spend some time working whoever into letting you test em' out. Go from there. Just no sense in ordering something, taking a gamble on if you're going to like what you get and then being disappoinited.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Hello my big-footed brothers.
I wear a size 13-14 shoe and I had a Pearl Eliminator single pedal for a while. I absolutely loved it!! I only sold it due to getting a Yamaha Flying Dragon double-pedal with my new kit. Now that I've used those for a few weeks, I'm strongly considering selling or trading them and going back to the Pearl (this time a double pedal). They're so adjustable, they can be custom fitted to anyone, yet I like mine pretty much as is out of the box, but with the blue offset cam.
I also want to try the pedals mentioned below (especially anything with a longboard like Axis) but Pearl has set the bar pretty high IMO.....and at a very competitive price.

Metal Overlord, I can't believe that store won't let you try the gear out. I've never heard of that before. Maybe you should see what their return policy is. If they offer money back, then just buy them all and return them all except the one you like best. That'll teach'em, hahaha.

They're all good pedals and it's just a matter of personal preference, but try the Pearls out and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Plus with all the $$ you'll save, you can get some other cool stuff for your drums. Just a thought...

Best of luck,

- Mike
Old 03-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Dangerous View Post
Hello my big-footed brothers.
I wear a size 13-14 shoe and I had a Pearl Eliminator single pedal for a while. I absolutely loved it!! I only sold it due to getting a Yamaha Flying Dragon double-pedal with my new kit. Now that I've used those for a few weeks, I'm strongly considering selling or trading them and going back to the Pearl (this time a double pedal). They're so adjustable, they can be custom fitted to anyone, yet I like mine pretty much as is out of the box, but with the blue offset cam.
I also want to try the pedals mentioned below (especially anything with a longboard like Axis) but Pearl has set the bar pretty high IMO.....and at a very competitive price.

Metal Overlord, I can't believe that store won't let you try the gear out. I've never heard of that before. Maybe you should see what their return policy is. If they offer money back, then just buy them all and return them all except the one you like best. That'll teach'em, hahaha.

They're all good pedals and it's just a matter of personal preference, but try the Pearls out and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Plus with all the $$ you'll save, you can get some other cool stuff for your drums. Just a thought...

Best of luck,

- Mike
See, the thing with the Pearls are that every single little gadget on them is changable. So if I didn't like them at the store, I could always change the cams and stuff around to get a good feel. I don't think this 19 yr old Guitar Center drum rep will let me do that.

And your idea of return, nice. Haha. The Pearls are pretty much (give or take a buck or two) the same price as the AL-2s. And the Tricks are $700.

And the Axis pedals are machine-made. Meaning if a part breaks, you don't just mosey onto your local store and buy that part. You have to send it back to Axis and get it fixed (like the Xbox 360, lol).
Old 03-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

And the Axis pedals are machine-made. Meaning if a part breaks, you don't just mosey onto your local store and buy that part. You have to send it back to Axis and get it fixed (like the Xbox 360, lol).
Um...don't know about that.

Fortunately, I haven't had that problem with my Axis pedals. Not even a sign of wear. I'm a big footed guy too...size 13's and I'm a leadfoot.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

This is wack. Most music stores don't have parts for ANY pedal on the market, they have to order and it could take weeks. Wih Axis, first off, there's nothing to break except maybe a beter shaft.

Its much easier dealing with Axis for parts should you ever need them. You call an 800 # and they mail you whatever you need, not like any of the major drum companies, where you have to go through a dealer (music store) who may or may not even get the part right, or have to wait weeks till they put in an order big enough etc. etc.

Axis is the eaisest pedals to work on and 'all' the parts on them are easily changeable by the user.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post

This is wack. Most music stores don't have parts for ANY pedal on the market, they have to order and it could take weeks. Wih Axis, first off, there's nothing to break except maybe a beter shaft.

Its much easier dealing with Axis for parts should you ever need them. You call an 800 # and they mail you whatever you need, not like any of the major drum companies, where you have to go through a dealer (music store) who may or may not even get the part right, or have to wait weeks till they put in an order big enough etc. etc.

Axis is the eaisest pedals to work on and 'all' the parts on them are easily changeable by the user.

Oh nice! Because the guy at Sam Ash told me that. So, I didn't exactly know.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
And your idea of return, nice. Haha. The Pearls are pretty much (give or take a buck or two) the same price as the AL-2s.

I live in Canada so I've never been to a Guitar Centre store and I could be wrong, but according to their website the Pearl P2002C Powershifter Eliminator sells for $329 and the Axis AL-2 sells for $599. Maybe they have different prices in-store??

Check out their link:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Double-Pedals.gc

ALSO, I heard (don't know if this is true) from a local music store that DW is coming out with a 5000 Longboard model which may be of interest to you since you have larger feet. I couldn't find any info on it on DW's website, but this store is an authorized DW dealer and it's strictly a drum store (called "Just Drums" in Toronto) who I consider to be a reliable source. If it is true, I don't know when they will be available but I assume sometime in the summer.....if you can wait that long, hahaha.

Maybe I'll start a new thread on this and see if anyone else on Drummerworld can confirm one way or the other whether this is a real thing from DW.

Last edited by Mikey Dangerous; 03-13-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I live in Canada so I've never been to a Guitar Centre store and I could be wrong, but according to their website the Pearl P2002C Powershifter Eliminator sells for $329 and the Axis AL-2 sells for $599. Maybe they have different prices in-store??

Check out their link:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Double-Pedals.gc

ALSO, I heard (don't know if this is true) from a local music store that DW is coming out with a 5000 Longboard model which may be of interest to you since you have larger feet. I couldn't find any info on it on DW's website, but this store is an authorized DW dealer and it's strictly a drum store (called "Just Drums" in Toronto) who I consider to be a reliable source. If it is true, I don't know when they will be available but I assume sometime in the summer.....if you can wait that long, hahaha.

Maybe I'll start a new thread on this and see if anyone else on Drummerworld can confirm one way or the other whether this is a real thing from DW.
MD
Thanks for the heads-up on the DW longboard - I haven't heard anything on that issue.
As I was stating in an earlier post here, I'm thinking of going with the Pearl dbl pedal, but after your post I think I'll wait to see what happens with the DW. I'll be looking around on this forum for more info on that - thanks!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
the tricks are godly, but the pearls and tamas have much better bang for the buck. my next pedal is going to be the trick because of its ability to change from one double, to two singles. try it out and you will fall in love
Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive double pedals do the same thing. I recommend you try those out, I bought a set and love them. I threw Gibraltar Wood Beaters on there for 10 bucks a piece and they are extraordinary.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

New DW pedals here, perhaps: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=36124
Old 03-15-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
MD
Thanks for the heads-up on the DW longboard - I haven't heard anything on that issue.
As I was stating in an earlier post here, I'm thinking of going with the Pearl dbl pedal, but after your post I think I'll wait to see what happens with the DW. I'll be looking around on this forum for more info on that - thanks!
Hey Kona,
No problem man. Glad I was able to help. That's what this forum's all about, right? - Drummers helping drummers. The link below provided by harryconway shows the pedal I mentioned (it's the pic on top). Check it out if you get a chance....and thanks harry for posting it.
I did see your earlier post about you thinking of going with the Pearl pedals. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I used to own the single-pedal version from Pearl and loved it. I only sold it due to FINALLY getting a double (Yamaha Flying Dragon dual chain) with my new kit. Now that I've used those pedals for a while, I'm looking to switch and will likely go back to the Pearls (a double this time) because they felt awesome and didn't hinder me despite my big feet. I will try out all the other options first but the Pearls are a favourite going in.
Keep us posted on what you decide.

All the best,

Mike
Old 03-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hey Kona,

I did see your earlier post about you thinking of going with the Pearl pedals. As I mentioned earlier in this thread

Now that I've used those pedals for a while, I'm looking to switch and will likely go back to the Pearls (a double this time) because they felt awesome and didn't hinder me despite my big feet. I will try out all the other options first but the Pearls are a favourite going in.
Keep us posted on what you decide.

All the best,

Mike
Thanks for the comments.

I was in a local drum store today and they can get the 2002b (I like the strap drive) Pearl double pedal for $299 cnd.

I'm definately leaning to the Pearl pedals - even though I have tramendous (lol) large kippers - they feel good to me.
CHECK IT OUT .....................
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the comments.

I was in a local drum store today and they can get the 2002b (I like the strap drive) Pearl double pedal for $299 cnd.

I'm definately leaning to the Pearl pedals - even though I have tramendous (lol) large kippers - they feel good to me.
CHECK IT OUT .....................
Yeah that's them all right!!
And WOW, $299 CDN is a really good price for those pedals. The cheapest place I've found in Canada sells them for $339.50. What's the name of the store where you're getting them from? Maybe I can get my local shop to price-match if I go that way.

I definitely prefer supporting the local music stores, but check out the link below for this place I've found on ebay called "miscmusicstuff". I've seen them sell the same pedal (the dual chain model but it'd be the same price as the strap-drive) last week for $219 USD plus $25 shipping to Canada and there's another auction up right now. If you can get around the customs fees, that's only $244 total. In Canada, $299 plus taxes will run you about $339 total. Just thought I'd give you another option because that's almost $100 in savings. Take a look:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Pearl-P2002C-Elim...QQcmdZViewItem

All the best,

- Mike

Last edited by Mikey Dangerous; 03-16-2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Incorrect link
Old 03-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Gold Member

I'm still playing pedals. I went to Midwest Music and tried the Pearls there. I tinkered with them, and it was very easy to switch and swap. But, they aren't longboards. But, there could be a bigger version. I'm still waiting to try out the Axis and Trick
Old 03-20-2008, 12:59 AM

i've got iron cobras at the moment and in my opinion their too heavy, im currently about to try out some diff pedals sell my double cobras and get a new one.. from what i've tried, (dw500) (pearl elims) i'd go with the pearl elims they're worth it!
Old 03-20-2008, 04:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprock View Post
i've got iron cobras at the moment and in my opinion their too heavy, im currently about to try out some diff pedals sell my double cobras and get a new one.. from what i've tried, (dw500) (pearl elims) i'd go with the pearl elims they're worth it!
Too heavy? what do you mean?

Anyway though, I really liked the speed king. I wonder how it'd be with wood beaters.

Although, the speed king seemed kind of flimsy at the store. Possibly because it's a floor model?
Old 03-20-2008, 04:59 AM

There really is not any one pedal that is any better than the others when you are talking about high-end gear.

The issue is which one has the action that works and feels best to you? Everybody is built differently, and everybody will have different ergonomic needs with regard to drum pedals.

Buying a pedal without a test drive is like buying shoes without event trying them on, except is can be much more costly. Don't even deal with a shop that won't let you try the gear.

They don't have to open a box every time somebody wants a test, but there is no excuse for not at least having a test model on the floor on a display kit. Most Guitar Centers have a metal bar about 10 feet long bolted to the floor with 6 or 8 pedals side-by-side for you to test, in addition to several playable display kits.

Test drive the ones you are interested in and can afford, and buy the one that plays and feels best to you.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:08 AM

I have the pearl Eliminators across the board (hi hat and double pedal)
I absolutely love the combination. There sooo adjustable and you can even buy 2 more sets of cams after market. There very sturdy and i chose them over the 5000s and the cobras because of that.

Good luck with what ever you decide on, in the end you'll still get a ballin' double pedal

-Wes
Old 03-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Mystic

Well I just ordered the Eliminators without even trying them, hahahaha but when they get here I'll tell you what I think of them, I did try the cobra single pedal and I didn't think too highly of it, maybe it's meant to be used for double bass mainly, but I could be wrong, the GC didn't have a double set up and i didn't have time for them to set one up, but I have heard a lot of good things about the eliminators and about how adjustable they are so hopefully I made a good choice.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yeah that's them all right!!
And WOW, $299 CDN is a really good price for those pedals. The cheapest place I've found in Canada sells them for $339.50. What's the name of the store where you're getting them from? Maybe I can get my local shop to price-match if I go that way.
Yes - that is a good price because I checked yesterday at Tom Lee in Victoria, BC and they are $399 there.

I got the quote from Island Drum in Nanaimo last week. He would have to order it in and I heard he may be closing his store, but I didn't here that from him.

Where in Canada can you get the pedal I described below for $340? I would probabley order one from them just because I wouldn't want to take the chance of ording it at $299 and then having the store close or go into receivership (heaven forbid!). It's only $41 difference and a good buy at $340 considering the price of some of the other pedals out there that arn't as good (for me anyway).
Old 03-21-2008, 05:58 AM

i got my pearl elim double pedal at guitar center used for about $250.

its was a pretty good deal apart from a little dirt and a little wear on some of the cams they were as good as new.

i oiled them up and i was ready to play.

before i bought them though i made sure the guy let me try them out on the floor.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Too heavy? what do you mean?

Anyway though, I really liked the speed king. I wonder how it'd be with wood beaters.

Although, the speed king seemed kind of flimsy at the store. Possibly because it's a floor model?
the plates when pressing down i find them heavier to play with than some other pedals.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:57 AM

Hello fellow Sasquatch.

I was debating between IC and Elim. double pedals, have pretty much settled on the Pearls although I am really hoping to audition Trick before I buy. Just a matter of finding a dealer within a reasonable distance.

I'm curious as to why you never see Sonor pedals mentioned much. I play their drums and you can't beat their hardware for being built like a tank but the pedals seem to get lost in the mix.

Anyone here ever play them?
Old 03-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewdwerkz View Post
Hello fellow Sasquatch.

I was debating between IC and Elim. double pedals, have pretty much settled on the Pearls although I am really hoping to audition Trick before I buy. Just a matter of finding a dealer within a reasonable distance.

I'm curious as to why you never see Sonor pedals mentioned much. I play their drums and you can't beat their hardware for being built like a tank but the pedals seem to get lost in the mix.

Anyone here ever play them?
I really liked those Sonor pedals with the duel beaters, the single pedal that is a double. Although, I don't think i could get 4 beaters on 1 bass drum.

And there was another pedal, it was the pedals out to the right and left, with the 2 beaters in the middle. Looked nice, probably would cut down on hi-hat problems. Never played it though.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

If I had to briefly describe my experience with each, I'd say...

Tama IC - Cheap and effective. I don't feel like I'm going to break mine.
DW - Well, I had my single 5k for over ten years and it still works and feels great. 5k series are cheap and effective, but go for the 9k if you want more adjustments.
Pearl Elim - In my opinion, they seem to be a great price for a lot of adjustments.
Axis - I could definitely tell the difference in feel between these and all other kick pedals.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonor4life View Post
rewdwerkz

Imo Trick is not in the same category with IC or Elim for it is a much more advanced and expensive pedal.

Nothing wrong with Sonor pedals. The cheaper 400 series pedals are good reliable basic stuff. Giant steps are just overpriced.
I agree 100%. Just wanted to try out Trick for giggles ... like shopping for a new car and driving a Ferrari just because you can. Of course you never know.

The guy a bought my kit from swore by his 600 series single pedal, but that line is high as well, especially for a double.

A store I was in had a new GS twin effect with a slave attached as well. Said he'd sell it for $495 ... I fiddled with it a bit but couldn't get the hang of the heel/toe action on the twin effect. Add the slave and I was a mess, lol. I like the quality and the feel of the GS but I could have two Elims for one of them.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 PM

Yeah, I'm currently recording for our new EP and there is a couple of songs that I will definetly need a double-pedal. I'm a fan of the single speed-king from ludwig for the fast feel is has but, two or three songs needs to be steady fast stomping bass drum some time and i don't want to rush and get exhausted just after a couple of takes and a shitty sound in the end. The songs has a metal-harcore feal like Underoath, so its not for non stop double bass drum its just for some steady roll at some places and a better sound. What are the suggestion because I'm about to borrow at the local music store the DW 9000 and because the springs are inside I heard bad comments, I tried a little but it wasn't a problem to me, other suggestions, its not to buy just to borrow, I'll see if they are available at the store.

Thx
Old 03-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Silver Member

I've totally changed my mind on what I'm buying. I thought I was sold on the Pearl double pedals but I just ordered Gibraltar 9611SD-DB pedals from Sam Ash through Amazon.
The reason I didn't buy locally is it takes so darn long to get anything.

I have a single Gibraltar 9611SD that I bought new when I started playing again last year (after 31 years of being away from drumming) and it's working okay for me and my klunky huge feet - so I figured why change now. After all - I'm not going to ever be a Bonham or Rich or anywhere close to those guys. The pedals out there now are far superior to anything I ever played when I started. I feel very happy I'm getting these pedals...........thought I'd share.

Cheers,

Kona
Old 03-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Gold Member

So far, I like the axis the most. But I still haven't played the Trick yet. So I'm not completely sold.

But since the IC's are cheaper, I could get a Cobra Clutch along with them. Which is nice because I don't like my paperweight tape and string contraption I made, which held the hi-hat for like 6 1/2 seconds.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Gold Member

I tried out the Flying Dragons, I also even got to put wood beaters on them!
Nice, but I wasn't in love. Still haven't got to try out the Trick pedals yet, though.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Mystic

alright I got my eliminators, and I've gotta say, well done Pearl. Those things are so adjustable, and so much more powerful than the cobra I tried. I would highly recommend these pedals.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
alright I got my eliminators, and I've gotta say, well done Pearl. Those things are so adjustable, and so much more powerful than the cobra I tried. I would highly recommend these pedals.

So you've decided now? Dang, I'm way behind. I take forever to get my gear.

How do you like them? Is it worth it to pay the same price as the Axis? Because the Axis's were like...totally differant from what I expected. Beautiful pedals! But, i'm still in a slump because I'm me and take 4 months to decide on what I want. =(
Old 04-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Mystic

The eliminators are great pedals, and I'm not just one of those first feel and love people. I have tried each cam and have noticed an incredible difference, and if you have played on the powershifter (the stock pedal) imagine that, but a much smoother feel, dont think looser, but a more inviting feel, like it allows you a more natural feel of dropping and lifting your foot, unlike the powershifter that has that feeling that is like, be careful how you drop your foot on me because I might not come back at the same speed. Anyway if anyone has any other ways I can describe it let me know.