DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-06-2008, 08:43 PM

Default Powdercoating Question

Hey all,

I am buying a keller snare shell to finish for a school project. I wouldn't be going to crazy with the finish, probably a natural glossy or something like that, keeping the wood show. I have the option of buying black lugs and snare strainer if I want to and I think it would look great with the natural wood finish. But I don't think it would look to good if the rest of the hardware was chrome. Nothing can really be done about the tension rods, but I was wondering if I could home powdercoat the rims. I really don't know to much about the powdercoat process, but a quick idea would be just spray painting it flat black, making sure not to clog up the places where the tension rods go.

Any Ideas?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Powdercoating Question

I think spray painting is a bad idea. It might look okay at first, but it'll chip or crack almost immediately.

Powder coating rims might be okay, I just know that you definitely have to be careful about powder coating areas that pivot or screw or otherwise move on account of the fact that the powdercoat will add some amount of mass and change the measurements. Hoops should be okay though I would think. Sounds cool. Post some pictures of your progress.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

If you are planning to spray paint over chrome, I have to tell you that is not a great idea.
You need to blast the chrome off or at least rough it up so the paint holds on to the rims.
You also can buy black rims and tension rods.
Also if you keep the shell in a natural finish then put all black hardware on it, and then use brass plated tension rods that looks pretty good too.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:45 AM

Thanks guys for talking me out of spray painting the rims, it probably wouldn't look good at all. I checked on the websight where I found all the parts I need and they do sell black rims, I guess it just went past me. I'm ordering the parts later today, and starting work when ever it comes in, so i'll be sure to give updates as the project progresses.

thanks,
Cavica