DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Have an Iron Cobra now

My band mate and I went in together to buy an Iron Cobra double kick pedal from a friend for like $70. So far it is pretty fun, but it has kind of whacked out the whole arrangement of my kit. I need to strip everything and start from the ground up again.

I know these pedals give people the urge to just play constant 16th notes, but I've found it really useful in slower grooves. I'll use it to just throw in an extra 8th/16th here and there to relieve my right foot from so much work. I've used a single pedal for over ten years, and have gotten pretty good at popping quick doubles with my right foot (not heel toe technique mind you). Being able to trade duty between my two feet is so much easier. The dynamics and timing in my slower grooves is getting better because of it.

I'll post pics soon. I'm going to try and reset the kit up today.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Have an Iron Cobra now

Congrats on your purchase. I have a Iron Cobra strap drive double pedal with matching Hi Hats stand, I've had them for 6 years more or less and nothing has broken yet, not even the straps. I think the Iron Cobra's are the best pedals out there period, and I've tried them all!
You're going to have many years of happiness with your IC's.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Nice! Good to know they hold up over the years. The only thing wrong with the one I have is that a pin for the connecting shaft (between the pedals) is missing, but our friend put a little nail in there and it works great. One of my good drumming friends has been using an IC for a while now, and he really loves it. Off to rearrange my kit! lol...
Old 03-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Well I've got the kit arranged around the pedal nicely now. It was very fun to use at practice yesterday. I can't believe I've gone so long without a double kick pedal! Comparing it to my hands, it would be like trying to play my toms and snare with one hand. Sure it's not a necessary thing and I've done without one for a long time, but it makes things so much easier.

We pretty much finished the arrangement to a new song yesterday and I use the double for just a couple fills, but it makes the difference I think. After we spent a few hours working on that song, we messed around for a bit and I got pretty silly with the thing. It will definitely take some practice, but the transition has been pretty smooth so far. I made a few small adjustments to the pedal last night to give it a smoother, more responsive touch (lowered tension and shifted weights toward the bottom of the shafts).

I'd really love to get a couple of round wood beaters for it though. I've got a walnut beater for my single pedal, and it's great to record with.