DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-04-2008, 01:38 AM
fourstringdrums

Default My new Taye Pro-X w/ Audio

--> MP3 - I'll take another once I change the stock batters. www.handidrummed.com/tayeprox.mp3

I'm on the verge of getting into a band (just waiting for the drummer they're auditioning tonight to not go well ;-) ) so I wanted to have a cheaper kit for leaving at the rehearsal space and taking on gigs. Even if I don't get into this particular band it's still a good idea. Musicians can't always come to me and I won't want to take my Unix (once it arrives) to certain places, I'm sure of it.

So thanks to Shane (Just Drums) at www.JustDrumsOnline.com I now have a Taye Pro-X in Blue Crush. The sizes are:

16x20
9x12
14x14
5.5x14

I got a great deal at $600 shipped and again I want to thank Shane and give a shameless plug for them. WWW.JUSTDRUMSONLINE.COM! :-) For anyone who was interested in these drums, let me just say that these drums are phenomenal for the price. First, they are as gorgeous in person as they are in the picture. I wasn't quite sure if I'd like the lugs before I saw them in person, but once I did I was hooked. The bass drum spurs especially are a favorite of mine because they have a vintage vibe to them. The kit came with a bass mounted tom holder and a RIMS for the 12" but I'm not using it.

I didn't go over the kit with a fine tooth comb but I did inspect the bearing edges on the bass drum and 12" tom and they're at least on par with any set in the $700+ price range. Nice and sharp and not the least bit rough. Not as smooth as my New Classics of course, but still very nice. The heads that came with the kit are Dynatone heads and Shane warned me before hand that they're not that great (even for a stock head) and I'd have to agree. They just feel cheap and the bass heads (typical pre-muffled) have a few small wrinkles no matter what I do. But I fault the heads for that and not the bearing edges. I have new batter heads coming in soon so for the time being I'm using the stocks. But amazingly regardless of how cheap they are, the drums tune up very easily and they sound VERY nice. Perhaps the best sounding kit in this price range that I've owned. Judge for yourself on the MP3 below. I did have to tweak the bass drum for about a half hour but I suspect it's because I've been playing an 18" since August and I'm not used to it, and again, stock heads. I know that once I even replace the batter heads it will improve the tone even more.

The snare is by far the best stock snare under $1000 that I have played. Usually I find them really hard to tension high, the lugs are creaky and sticky and the tone is just blah and boxy. Not so with this snare. It has nice sensitivity, a good amount of ring and overtone and a nice rimshot sound. It doesn't hold a candle to my McKenzie Steambent of course but I would have no problems using this snare on a regular basis. The snare strainer is interesting. It's just a simple (and I mean simple) drop lever strainer, which I think they refer to as a Flip Strainer. A lot of guys over at Ghostnote actually use them and they're highly praised. I like it for the most part, although it has a longer throw for the snares to be off, so that takes getting used to. Also the butt side is very strange. I didn't take a picture but it is one bent piece of metal that is connected to the shell and then curves upward. So, the snare strap (which is black nylon which I thought was a nice touch!) goes through the butt and follows this curve back to the shell, which makes positioning a nightmare. I wound up taking off the snares and putting the strap so it follows the curve up instead of down toward the shell. I don't know if that's how you're supposed to mount it, but the way it was was not working.

So without further a-do, here is there MP3 with pictures below. Let me know what you think!

--> MP3
- I'll take another once I change the stock batters. www.handidrummed.com/tayeprox.mp3
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My new Taye Pro-X w/ Audio

You're right, that snare does sound great, better then great. Not to fond of the tom sound, but for $600 that is a superb sounding kit, steal. So what happened to the Gretsch? And the Unix that's coming. If you still had your Oak Customs you could have a little drum museum going.

I'm waiting for sound clips after the head change, lol

Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Silver Member

While I'm not a huge fan of this particular kit, I really have to commend you for a FANTASTIC post. This is the way ALL posts in this topic should be posted, with links to sounds of the kit, and many quality pics. Your description is top-notch to boot. You are indeed the man.

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 03-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Silver Member

It's nice to see Taye getting some more of the love they deserve. As far as your MP3 goes....

"You go booooyyyyyeee".

=)
Old 03-04-2008, 02:03 AM
Silver Member

I aslo don't really like the tom sound but it's probly because of the stock heads, they seem to have a good potential. I can't wait to see your Unix

And chapins book is a great book, very fun
Old 03-04-2008, 02:11 AM
Silver Member

They sound good and will sound really great with good heads. I really like your grooving too I love that kinda drumming. That snare is really supprising I totally agree with you, does that have a stock batter too?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:26 AM
Platinum Member

just one thing I wanted to add, on top of my other post, fantasic playing!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:12 AM
Silver Member

They look sweet and sound, even the tom, great to me. Maybe those awesome cymbals are tricking me! On the other hand, Chapin's book looks like it's never been cracked. Your playing leads me to believe otherwise ... your getting your money's worth out of that new digital recorder, aye? Congratulations. Hearing this kit makes me wonder if there is any kit worth 4 - 6 times the price. Joey
Old 03-04-2008, 03:23 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
You're right, that snare does sound great, better then great. Not to fond of the tom sound, but for $600 that is a superb sounding kit, steal. So what happened to the Gretsch? And the Unix that's coming. If you still had your Oak Customs you could have a little drum museum going.

I'm waiting for sound clips after the head change, lol
The Gretsch's are up for sale. I'm actually putting them on Ebay right now.

Not too many fans of the tom sound. Hmm. What is it about the tone that isn't that liked? They are a tad brighter than what I've recorded with my Gretsch's, but I am putting coated G1's on the batter so that will warm up the sound a bit. The snare does have the stock heads as well.

I've used Jim's book a bit, but not as much as I could. I have a habit of buying books and dvd's and forgetting I have them.

Glad you guys like the playing too. I was thinking that it, like most of what I record is too busy. I watch a guy like Bernhard Purdie and wish I could just lay back like he does :)
Old 03-04-2008, 03:25 AM
Silver Member

well to me, they sound a bit too boingy, like all clear heads.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:29 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxido View Post
well to me, they sound a bit too boingy, like all clear heads.
Yeah I can hear that. Definitely not perfect, but so many times I've played a kit with single ply clear heads and absolutely loathed the sound. I was surprised when I tuned these up and didn't cringe.

I plan on changing the resos out too eventually...I actually should have just ordered them when I bought the batters but decided to hold off. I'll probably put either coated G1's or resonant glass on.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Administrator

Sound great to me Rob. I think most people are use to hearing the dull thud of recorded toms that seem to be the fad these days, but the set sounds great and it looks great.

Since I own the same set in the 5 piece, what else would you expect me to say.

Its also for sale if anyone is interested. Good job Rob.

The big brother.
Attached Images

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 03-08-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 AM

How do these compare these to your old Gretsch WMP Catalina set? Just curious...
Old 03-04-2008, 05:22 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenGarbageCan View Post
How do these compare these to your old Gretsch WMP Catalina set? Just curious...
Hmm...well quality wise they're both fairly close. The lugs and spurs just strike me as a bit more sturdy for some reason. The bearing edges are about the same, although I think the screw holes may be drilled a bit cleaner.

Tonally, they're two different sets. This set is birch-basswood and the Catalina Club Jazz was Mahogany. Also I had coated heads on that set. Judging by the tone so far though they both equally sound great, though the Taye snare wins over the Catalina by a slight margin.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:38 PM
KARL MEMBER

Looks and sounds great! Seems to be a very valuable kit for the price...even with those stock heads it sounds cool. Though I`m really excited how it sounds with the new heads!

PS: Nice playing, as well...nice ideas.

Have fun playing this one at home or with your band!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.