DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default slave pedal: inside? / outside?

I'm basically a single Bass drum pedal player who uses the slave pedal for color and occasional flourishes.So it stands to reason that the Hat pedal should be in its most natural position and the slave pedal on the outside and not inside of the hi-hat. ( having it on the inside pushes the hi-hat too far away )

So today I switched the pedal positions. What happened is that the hi-hat postion felt really good by the muscle memory started playing funny tricks on me whereby I'm playing the hat but my foot thinks its playing the slave pedal and vice versa. Am I doomed?

question1
: Is this switch a logical one?

question 2
: This is a switch I've made after many years of the slave pedal on the inside. Is it too late?
Old 02-14-2008, 04:59 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: slave pedal: inside? / outside?

I don't play double bass, but when I've given it a shot, and if I ever did it again, outside is logical for me. The hi-hat to me is more important and more of a central part of the kit than the double bass, so why move that position to compensate for the slave pedal?

It's never too late. You'll get used to it.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:21 PM

I don't play much double either even though it's been part of my kit for a while. I've tried it both ways and both positions seem to have their pros and cons. I agree that HH pedal on the inside is more natural for most drummers but I find it affects the consistency of my slave esp. since I prefer my legs to be closer together for double kick playing. The kind of equipment you own also affects how flexible your positioning can be.

But, like 4SD said all is takes is practice.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Having been born in the "dark years", where if you wanted 2 kick pedals, you needed 2 kicks, the hi-hat was always far left. Before the "legless" hi-hat was invented, even "farther left". So for me, the big advantage of the double-pedal was not having to lug two kicks around. And so the "slave" has always been inside, and to the immediate right of my hats. Now that I'm using a center pedal design http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...4-3415_IMG.jpg even more freedom of placement opens up. And having seen Charlie at the NAMM show (father of the Off-Set), he now has drive shafts that are 1/2 length. So where the distance COFB to COFB (center of footboard) would normally be 30", the half length drive shafts will make that 22". His 1/2 length shafts should fit a variety of pedals also. If I buy one more pedal in my life, it'll probably be a Sleishman. Also at the NAMM show this year (last year was their first), I got to put my feet on these babies. They will give "any" other chain drive pedal a good run for the money. No drive shaft in the design. Sweet.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 PM

I'm also a single pedal player and I use double on specific parts.
I use it on the inside and my hi-hat the closest posible which is not the exceptional place thoug, but what I did was, a few months before I bought the double-pedal I moved the hi-hat far left and I got used to using it that way. :)

www.sensorama19-81.com
Old 02-15-2008, 04:05 PM

What about the Double Pedal Hihat Aydee?
http://www.dwdrums.com/hardware/5520-2.htm

Would that work for you? This was the first thing I thought of when reading your post.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks a lot Harry & Fett, great ideas but a bit expensive for me at this point, having sunk a few buck into my Elims already.. I need to make em work for me. With the Sleishmans, I guess the snare sits in the middle..so how are they powered ,Harry, if no drive shafts..

Fett, that a cool hat, but I guess I can configure my gear to work the same way? Unless I'm missing something..
Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Thanks a lot Harry & Fett, great ideas but a bit expensive for me at this point, having sunk a few buck into my Elims already.. I need to make em work for me. With the Sleishmans, I guess the snare sits in the middle..so how are they powered ,Harry, if no drive shafts..

Fett, that a cool hat, but I guess I can configure my gear to work the same way? Unless I'm missing something..
That is the exact same thing that you can do with a regular db pedal and hi-hat. Why they made it into a IMO, more bulky package, is beyond me.

You can do the exact same thing, the only difference might be if you have a hi-hat with 3 legs that don't swivel, the placement might be a little trickier but you can definitely do it.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
With the Sleishmans, I guess the snare sits in the middle..so how are they powered ,Harry, if no drive shafts..
Double chain. Each footboard has a wing type extention directed towards the center. Will Calhoun has been using one for a few years now. Patented in 1972 or 73, it's the oldest production double pedal, but never quite made it off the continent of Australia until just recently. As far as the DW thang, it addresses all those drummers who complain that their pedals move during gigs. With the hi-hat and slave sharing the same floorplate...Pearl Eliminator pedal, great feeling pedal. I almost bought one. I'd run the slave inside of the hi-hat. Running the drive shaft thru the hi-hat works just seems like more erector set work, for the advantage of having my feet 6" closer together, when playing hat and kick.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:42 AM

I have positionned my slave pedal outside of the hi-hat (a la Billy Ward) last week and in just 1 or 2 days i was ok to play any kind of pattern that i play the other way. I have always have my slave pedal on the inside since the 80 but i was feeling for a little change. I'm much more confortable that way.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:09 PM

Whenever I use a double pedal setup, I have the slave on the inside of the hi hat. I place them so I can have my heel on the hi hat and ball of my foot on the slave. That way I play closed hi hat and open when I need while playing the double pedal. It works for me anyway. I rarely play with a double setup now since I bought my Pearl Eliminator single pedal. I am trying to master heel toe instead.