DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 02-14-2008, 11:13 AM

Default New to electronic drums

So ive been playing drums 6 years.... I recently moved into an apartment and its impossible to play drums anymore. Sadly I haven't played in over a year now because of it. I've been playing guitar for 10 years so I mostly have just been sticking to that as I play guitar in my band. I want to get back into playing drums so I'm looking at some electronic kits. I want the most realistic sound possible for under a grand. I tried some out at guitar center and I tried a kit out that was 599 and I actually thought it sounded better than some of the more expensive ones. But I want to make sure im getting the right thing. one of the most important things is the double bass. It has to have a big enough bass drum for my cobras and pick up double bass well. Also I was wondering is there anyway to add more cymbals as there is only a high hat, crash, and ride. I'd like to have a few crashes.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 PM

Default Re: New to electronic drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranormal5150 View Post
So ive been playing drums 6 years.... I recently moved into an apartment and its impossible to play drums anymore. Sadly I haven't played in over a year now because of it. I've been playing guitar for 10 years so I mostly have just been sticking to that as I play guitar in my band. I want to get back into playing drums so I'm looking at some electronic kits. I want the most realistic sound possible for under a grand. I tried some out at guitar center and I tried a kit out that was 599 and I actually thought it sounded better than some of the more expensive ones. But I want to make sure im getting the right thing. one of the most important things is the double bass. It has to have a big enough bass drum for my cobras and pick up double bass well. Also I was wondering is there anyway to add more cymbals as there is only a high hat, crash, and ride. I'd like to have a few crashes.
Welcome to the world of e-drums!
Under 1000 bucks: Yamaha dtx, Roland TD-3 Recommended: Yamaha DTX
Just a little over 1000: Yamaha Dtxpress IV
ONLY BUY YAMAHA OR ROLAND. DON'T BUY ANY OTHER BRAND NAMES. trust me on that one.
What I recommend is buying a Yamaha DTXpress IV special thats just over 1000 or maybe under if bought used. You can keep expanding. It has 2 crashes a ride and a hi hat, and you can keep expanding (3 inputs) Good luck! Pm if you wish
Old 02-14-2008, 12:43 PM

I'd vote for the TD-3. It depends on how much you plan to expand and if you are okay playing on all rubber pads. All of the Rolands kit componets (except the HD-1) are interchangeable. So you can upgrade the stands, pads and modules as you wish. Even the smallest Roland kick pad can be used with a double pedal (I don't know about the yammie?). If the Roland mesh is a little too spongey there are other brands like Hart that sell stiffer replacements that will work. I started with a TD-3 kit and eventually worked my way up to an expanded TD-12 kit. I love my Rolands.

JMO
Old 02-16-2008, 01:05 AM

Well the only thing about spending to much on this, is that I use my acoustic drums when it comes to playing with anyone or anything. basically this is just a practice set for my apartment. My acoustic set is a pearl export, iron cobra double bass, I use sabian AA metal x cymbals. I'd like to expand but I guess I could go without it considering it's just a practice kit. But in a way I would like to be able to record and it sound really good. Like I said in the title, I'm new to electronic drums. How close does a good set like the ones recomended come to sounding like acoustic drums on a recording? My friend has a Roland V set and it's really nice. It picks up every single double bass hit and thats really important for me being a metal drummer.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:11 AM

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Set?sku=490069 What do you guys think about this one? I know it's not a roland but for my needs do you think this would be okay or should i spend the extra 400?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:33 AM

Like the reponse you were given earlier. I'd stick to Roland or Yamaha, especially if you're only looking at spending $1000. Like I said, I prefer Roland but the Yammie would probally get the job done. The reason I mentioned the upgrades is because some people can't get use to the rubber pads. If you buy the TD-3 and decide you want mesh, no biggie. With the Yamahas, mesh isn't an option. Stay away from Simmons, Alesis and the rest.

JMO
Old 02-16-2008, 06:24 AM

Your best and cheapest bet is to get a Roland module (the new TD-9 out next month looks incredible) and then do some DIY drums. Buy some used Hart or Roland cymbals (the cymbals are the most difficult things to DIY). Check out www.vdrums.com the DIY and classified threads. Lots of helpful folks and great info.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
With the Yamahas, mesh isn't an option.
JMO
I don't see why not. A module is a module and a trigger is a trigger. A Pintech or a Hart mesh pad will work with a Yamaha. So should a Roland mesh pad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranormal5150 View Post
... I'd like to expand but I guess I could go without it considering it's just a practice kit. But in a way I would like to be able to record and it sound really good. Like I said in the title, I'm new to electronic drums. How close does a good set like the ones recomended come to sounding like acoustic drums on a recording?
Basically for under $1K, you're stuck between a rock and a hard spot. Yamaha uses samples from their drum line in their e-kits, Roland has good drum sounds, but maybe a little more "generic". But with you're budget, you're relegating yourself to entry level, either way. If you want more drums or cymbals, then you'll need to add another module. Plenty of cats record with e-kits, but certainly without the budget restraint also. Otherwise, every cymbal crash is gonna sound the same, every snare and kick, ditto. Best to play your acoustic kit if you want an acoustic sound, an e-kit if you want that sound. I play a hybrid kit, the best of both worlds. http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...9-3912_IMG.jpg
Old 02-16-2008, 07:15 AM

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38129

This is a cool example of a DIY that looks acoustic. A great price too. You would need to put some sort of rubber padding on the cymbals to make them more stealth and then get a module.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:34 PM

You're looking for a Yamaha. The Roland TD-3 does not offer any sound editing with sounds, when the Yamaha's offer sound editing (tuning, decay, filter, snare tension etc.) You can also turn the snares off on Yamaha's. Thats for about 800 bucks too (Standard set) If you want a more realistic snare and one more cymbal, then it is worth your money to buy the Special set which is a little bit more, but pretty good.
Either way, stay away from the TD-3, you will get bored of it.
And also, stay with Roland or Yamaha. Do not buy that simmons set. Do not buy an Alesis set. Do not buy the Hart Dynamics Prodigy set (All other sets are fine. Caution:NO MODULE INCLUDED)
Thats my advice to you =]
Old 02-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak22thegoat View Post
ONLY BUY YAMAHA OR ROLAND. DON'T BUY ANY OTHER BRAND NAMES. trust me on that one.

not even hart percussion?

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 02-16-2008, 05:23 PM

No, the Harts are good but stick with the higher end stuff. I have the Gigapro and it's great, but as Tak said, the stuff like the Prodigy (entry level) don't get great reviews.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:03 PM

go to myspace.com/childrenofthesunmetal that was recorded with my drummers 400 dollar e-drums. not the best by any means but sounds good for our demo songs. Which is bascially what im looking for. On our real recording and album we will use our acoustic drums. It's just hard for me to justify paying 2 grand for something im only practicing on you know?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:51 PM

To be honest with u man...ur really better off going on craigslist and buying a used pintech kit...or roland kit....u can find a 1500 to 2000 dollar kit on there from pintech for like 800 or 900...i lucked up and found a 1500 one for 750...hadnt even been used but like 3 times...and i upgraded the module to a roland td6v...

ive played on the rolands, yamaha, alesis, and pintech
and let me tell u the pintech with the roland td6v....is the best one ive played...the rolands drums are not made as well as the pintech's are...
the pintech shells are either cast aluminum or steel depending on how high of series u buy and a lot of rolands are plastic and cost twice the money the pintech's do...

Ive talked to people at places like sam ash and guitar center and they've told me the reason that pintech's are not sold in those places are that they have to meet a quota with roland and yamaha....they pretty much told me that they thought the pintech's would probably outsell the rolands if they allowed them to buy them so thats why they dont sell them..