DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-13-2008, 03:29 PM

Default the most versatile heads

I have a mapex m birch and I'm still using the remo stock heads on the toms. I don't really like' em coz i have to use drum rings (they sound horrible without the drum rings), so i think they don't make the most outa my drum. I don't really like using those drum rings. I'm thinking about replacing the remos with evans. I've already tried changing my remo stock snare head with evans genera hd dry, and it really improves the sound of my snare. So, what would be the best heads for my toms? I play all-around style, but mostly gospel and pop. So, i'm looking for versatile heads (maybe a bit muffled coz i don't want to be needing any drum rings, but not overmuffled!). I want a warm and a bit focused sound. Any opinion?? Thx before

Cheers
Old 02-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: the most versatile heads

Coated Ambassadors on top, clear Ambassadors on bottom. Very versatile, and the amount of ring can be controlled with tuning -- although if you are playing a lot in un-miced situations, you need that resonance to cut through the wall of sound.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:42 PM

I thought the remo stock heads on mapex are actually remo ambassadors????? ( or am i mistaking here??) I've tried anything and tune in many ways to control the ring, but i can't really get the sound that i want from these heads..
I was thinking about evans ec1 or ec2. Is it a good idea???
Old 02-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

They are most likely the Remo UT heads, not "real" (USA made) Ambassadors.

Coated Ambassadors have a less bright ringy tone to them than clears for the top as well.

I'd go coated Ambassador or Coated Emp. on top, and a Clear ambassador on bottom.

Totally versatile sound, and the amount of ring can be controlled by tuning.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Gold Member

Coated Ambassadors over clear Ambassadors is the most common head combo out there, you'll find drummers of any kind of style using them, from metal to country. If you need versatility, this is it.

As KarlCrafton says, the UT versions of Remo heads are typically poor. The real thing is much better.

Using 1-ply heads from any manufacturer will require skillful tuning to lessen obnoxious overtones. Well tuned, a drum with these heads will have a pleasant ring that cuts through the band when unmiked.

If you need versatility, I've always been of the opinion that you should use unmuffled heads on the drums and add muffling if necessary, because you can always add a moongel or two or throw on some studio rings if the situation calls for it, but you can't unmuffle pre-muffled heads when desired.

If your focus is on just one kind of music or if you always play miked, then you can look for a more specific sound and/or muffling.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:51 AM

Well I have the exact same kit (maybe not sizes, mine is 6piece fusion) and I've got Aquarian Clear Super-2s on the kit. Phenomenal sound. Warm and unplasticky (lol that's not even a word), no need for ANY muffling at all (throw out those drum rings), ridiculously easy to tune. They're probably somewhere in between open and muffled but I think they'd suit you perfectly. Just for my purposes (I play lots of Christian rock and metal) they're a bit too open but not like ringy open, just not quite focused enough for my taste.
Maybe you might want to try Response-2s if you like a more dead sound (what I'm getting next) but Super-2s would be my recommendation
Old 02-16-2008, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

I also recommend the coated single ply over clear single ply, either evans or remo
Old 02-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

The only way for you to figure out what sounds best "to you" is to try out different heads. And listen/look at what other drummers are using. I'm a Remo guy, and your Mapex drums are good drums. I'd start the journey with clear Ambassadors reso. For batter, Ambassador, Controlled Sound, Powerstroke 3, Emperor and Pinstripe heads will all work. Ambassador heads will give you the most live sound...Pinstripe the most muffled. You say you want "a bit" muffled, which would make me lean towards Emperor or Powerstroke 3. The P3 head is an Ambassador head with a built in richie ring, the Emperor is a 2 ply head. The CS head is an Ambassador with a dot stuck on in the center. Pinstripe is the Emperor head with internal muffling fibers between the plies. I ran my Ludwig 15, 16, 18 toms mostly with clear Powerstroke 3s on them, but any of these other heads would work well, and would sound good. Just depends on what sound "you" want.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
They are most likely the Remo UT heads, not "real" (USA made) Ambassadors.

Coated Ambassadors have a less bright ringy tone to them than clears for the top as well.

I'd go coated Ambassador or Coated Emp. on top, and a Clear ambassador on bottom.

Totally versatile sound, and the amount of ring can be controlled by tuning.
How do coated Ambassadors compare to coated Emperors? I want new heads for my Tama Rockstar and have Ebony Ambassadors all over now but they sounds somewhat plastic and I want something more mainstream, for rock, funk, r&b and gospel.

So, should I go Emperor or Ambassador?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
How do coated Ambassadors compare to coated Emperors?
Emperors have a bit shorter decay, less bounce and sensitivity, more bottom-end and more volume potential. That is, if you manage to score a good Emperor. Remo has had some issues with their two-ply heads, so you really need to inspect the heads before buying them.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Gold Member

So Emperors aren't recommended. Evans has those G2 Coated heads, do they compare to Ambassadors or Emperors or are they totally something else? I've heard the coating on Evans is more durable.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

The G2 is comparable to the Emperor, but nothing compares to a coated Ambassador... :-)
Old 02-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
The G2 is comparable to the Emperor, but nothing compares to a coated Ambassador... :-)
so I really have to go with Coated Ambassadors on top and Clear Ambassadors as reso then...
The I guess that will be it, now it's only a matter of saving money and convincing my future wife of the importance..
Old 03-08-2008, 02:01 PM

Well, first of all, i wanna thank u guys for all the replies. okay, now back to the business. As i've said before i really prefer evans than remo, because "original" remo heads are pretty hard to come by in my town. The local music store only has the "made in taiwan" ones. I live in Indonesia, in small city, Balikpapan. So i must go to jakarta to buy remo heads. Ridiculous?! I know. So anyway, another local music store has evans. As anyone said before, emperrors are similar to the ambassadors, and g2s are comparable with the emperrors, but why aren't they comparable with the coated ambassadors?? I'm really thinking of getting coated g2s, but i'm not quite convinced, will it be a good choice??
Old 03-08-2008, 03:37 PM

Coated G1s are equivalent to Ambassadors (one-ply heads). Also get some Moongels so you can easily adjust the amount of ring without messing with the 'rings - say, use 'em at home when you're practicing in a small room, but not when playing out, or however it sounds good to you.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musical_drummer View Post
Well, first of all, i wanna thank u guys for all the replies. okay, now back to the business. As i've said before i really prefer evans than remo, because "original" remo heads are pretty hard to come by in my town. The local music store only has the "made in taiwan" ones. I live in Indonesia, in small city, Balikpapan. So i must go to jakarta to buy remo heads. Ridiculous?! I know. So anyway, another local music store has evans. As anyone said before, emperrors are similar to the ambassadors, and g2s are comparable with the emperrors, but why aren't they comparable with the coated ambassadors?? I'm really thinking of getting coated g2s, but i'm not quite convinced, will it be a good choice??
No, the emperors are not similar to the ambassadors. Here's the deal.

Remo Ambassador = Evans G1 .......these are 1-ply heads
Remo Emperor = Evans G2..............these are 2-ply heads

All of these are available in clear and coated versions. The coated versions will sound a bit drier and warmer than the clears. Those who use 1-ply heads usually use the coated versions.

There is no way we can tell you how these will sound on your drums, nor whether you will like them or not.

Since you have Evans available nearby, why not get a G1 coated, a G2 clear, and a G2 coated for one of your drums, say a 12" tom. Try them out and see what you like before you spring for a whole set. Better to buy a couple of extra heads now than get a whole set of them that you later decide you don't like.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:51 PM

Okay, i just had another experience. Several days ago, I bought evans g2 coated for my 12" tom. It sounded OKAY (at least better than my stock head, and actually I really fell in love with coated heads, they're very durable and i just love the action), but I wasn't that satisfied. IMHO I don't think it is that versatile, I don't think it's suitable for rock. So this afternoon, I was browsing for another drumhead for my 13" tom. I wasn't going for the single ply heads coz i thought a 2 ply head like coated g2 still has too much ring, i want a warm and focused sound. So I bought evans coated ec2 on the local store, I was just curious because I have seen the evans drumhead chart (I'm not sure if that's the right name), and the coated ec2 is categorized as a warm and focused head (I'm not interested on getting hydraulics coz many people said that they sound way too dead). So, I bought them immediately at the local music store and put them on my drums... and VOILA!!!! It is ridiculously easy to tune, it's very warm and has the right amount of focus and punch. I think this is actually the kind of drumhead i've been looking for all this time. Some people said it's not suitable for jazz, but it think it's very versatile. It has the perfect amount of..... everything... from warmth, focus, attack, and even ring and overtones. It controls the ring instead of eliminating it, so it wouldn't sound too dead. I would definitely recommend these to any drummer.

Cheers

Last edited by musical_drummer; 03-24-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:59 PM
KARL MEMBER

Yes, the heads you have on the Mapex are the Chinese version of Remos. Not too bad but not a great option either.
Since I read your last post I`m glad you found the right head. I think you noticed that it`s all about trying and experimenting. Another big factor certainly is tuning! Never forget about that. ;-)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:37 PM

So, anyway how do you control the amount of ring by tuning??? I'm really confused with it, even I have already read the drum tuning bible. I can't control the ring of heads without using muffling tools (moongel, drum ring, duct tape, etc). So far I have found the tone I've been searching for my drums by using evans coated ec2s, but I'm just curious on how you control the ring of a regular head (not pre-muffled like ec2 or pinstripes). Can anyone teach me?