DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 AM
nhzoso

Default What size amp to get for playalong??

Hey guys,
I have an old sony surround system that I play CD's on and play my drums along to. However it does not play burned cd's, so I been thinking about buying a nice amp that I can plug my mp3 player or portable cd player into and play along to songs.

What size amp do you think I need to be able to hear the songs and play my loud acoustic (mapex saturn) kit to.

I have headphones but the wires required can be a pain, plus I have just started playing with other musicians and would like to have a spare Amp here and maybe a microphone too in case anyone decides to sing.

I know nothing about amps so any tips , what to stay away from etc would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 03:34 PM

Default Re: What size amp to get for playalong??

A 100 watt keyboard amp would fit nicely. These are basically a multi channel (lets you plug multiple instrument in at one time) PA system in a box. Unlike a guitar amp these do not color or distort the sound.
Therefore vocals sound correct and you just add a foot pedal before the amp for guitar or bass effects. You can have guitar Bass and vocals run through it at the same time.

Realistically amp placement will play a huge roll if buying a smaller one. You could get away with a little 15 watt amp if it was on a table behind your head.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with the above statement and would add maybe a small entry level PA would be good. I know they start at around $200.00.

I would like to add:

I remember when I was young and used to play to music in speakers, I had them cranked up to hear them over the drums, I am sure I harmed my ears, and pissed off the neighbors ;-) The headphones are a pain but they do offer a safer way to practice. They mask out some of the drum level while giving you the music directly. This means you can turn down and not damage your ears. And I am sure family and neighbors will appreciate it more.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 02-15-2008, 04:26 PM

Earphones are a good call... however, stuff like IPOD diectly over a headphone in my experience DOES NOT provide enough volume... and high volume over earphones might damage the ear more than high volume over speakers.

Any simple PA, as mentioned will do, it's speakers that will be tricky... you'll need something that can handle good bass... anything smaller than an 8" woofer will suffer.

A GREAT alternative is to use a Keyboard/Epercussion amp... it will serve many purposes... first it's more practical... no cables to deal with, speaker is right there... also if you decide to add electronics or get an E kit, it's excellent.

You can use it as a standard amp, with headphones, you can use it loud, and use it with instruments.

I have one that's done the job riht for me for over 8 years now... no fuzz... no trouble over COUNTLESS rehearsals, gigs and stuff. The Peavey KB/60.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

Check this little dude out! I just saw this at GC last week and it looks like what you are looking for. http://www.zzounds.com/item--IONIPA03 . I hope this helps you.....have a good one!
Old 02-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

Hi,

I am using a keyboard amp, an old Peveay. 15" spraker with a horn. Nice and loud.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

I've acquired 3 amps. Two Roland PM-1 (made for e-kits) and a Roland KC-100 (keyboard) amp. The PM-1's are floor monitor wedged in shape, and so can be used in that role. Right now I have them on 18" crates, for almost ear level speaker throw. They handle bass much better than standard keyboard amps because they are drum amps. The KC-100, better suited for a guitar needing a place to plug in.