DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-12-2008, 08:18 PM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Anybody interested in vst drumming in this forum? Please post anything from your works, experiences, knowledge and questions to advices and tips&tricks.
__________________
My kit
MySpace
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-12-2008, 08:25 PM
sticksnstonesrus's Avatar
sticksnstonesrus sticksnstonesrus is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Virignia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 762
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

VST?

20 characters
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2008, 06:03 PM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

VST - Virtual Studio Technology. :) to be more precise I would like to share any kind of knowledge about electronic drumming and edrumming related issues, recording&editing electronic drums, midi drumming, drums plugins (fxpansion's bfd, toontrack's dfh superior, native instrument's battery etc), home recording, professional recording gimmicks, all sorts of gear, protools, ableton live, cubase tips&tricks and so on...
__________________
My kit
MySpace
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Jeff Almeyda's Avatar
Jeff Almeyda Jeff Almeyda is offline
Senior Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,191
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

I'm just getting into this in a big way. I currently trigger BFD2 from my Roland TD-12. The sound quality from the wav. files just blows the Roland native sounds out of the water. BFD2 is loaded on my mac.

I am considering taking my mac out of the loop and getting Muse's Receptor. That's really the most reliable method of using this stuff live.

I am new to this so any input on this would be appreciated.
__________________
Either you have a purpose behind your expression... or you don't.
JoJo Mayer
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2008, 01:26 PM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

hey there!

it is really nice to have some sort of feedback to the thread so that i don't feel alone any more. :)

it is true that fxpansion's bfd and toontrack's dfh superior blows the native samples of not only the td12 even the td20 or lets say all trigger modules of any manufacturer in the market.

that kind of software (namely bfd2) has some sort of a very powerful software engine to make all the calculations of the dynamics of the sample to be triggered so that's why you will need a decent performance in both your computer and your sound card to be able to cope with realtime acoustic dynamics of the instrument and the playing physicality of the drummer.

i understand you are a mac user so it shouldn't be a problem for you but for myself i needed an upgrade of my entire hardware so now i am using a core 2 duo 2,33MHz pc with 2gigs of 800MHz ram on a quad core supported mainboard with a 1333MHz FSB.

Normally the sampling process is a pain in the ass but the guys that produced those software already handled that for us. I have been amazed by the toontrack guys showcasing the new superior drummer 2.0 in namm 2008. In the video somewhere he mentioned that sample any hit 20 times left and 20 times right stroke (for instance for the snare drum and knowing the fact that even the most proficient drummers left and right hands vary in terms of stick control) at every single midi velocity. And the engine only does trigger the same sample after 20 consecutive hits with same dynamics and velocity so there is no chance to have a machinegun sound with this one. just amazing

Muse receptor is an awesome solution to bypass the computer in terms of it's performance and being standalone but if you don't need those samples and features with you on stage or if you are not touring a lot, i don't quite see the necessity to invest $2500-3000 to a midi host. :)

So anyway i think there is some good videos you might be interested in. I am including the urls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCVkBP4O0LU - about bfd, muse receptor and drumkat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-riu6QZ7xE - about bfd and zendrum and guru
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roLX4ZW2Ldk - the namm 2008 showcase i was talking about

Cheers!
__________________
My kit
MySpace

Last edited by tolgapala; 02-21-2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: just felt like editing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Red Hawk's Avatar
Red Hawk Red Hawk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 255
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

i just started messing around with vst stuff in Cubase. I don't have any kind of drum controller (yet) but i think with my limited amount of space i'm just going to get a MPC type unit with USB connectivity.

At the moment i just have a 4 octave M-Audio midi controller that does the trick nicely for entering in midi notes. I have absolutely no knowledge of actually "playing" keyboards, so my fun factor with this thing is getting pretty limited.

I don't think i could ever trust a computer enough to use VST as a live rig... too much can go wrong... it would be like putting a beater through your kick drum head, except that happens to every drum and cymbal at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2008, 02:07 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,229
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

For my home recording I use my iMac with Garage Band.
My M-Audio Oxygen8 V-2 Midi Controller which also serves as my keyboard/synth using the various instruments and loops in Garage Band,
And my M-Audio USB Pre Amp with 2 Mic inputs. Then I use 2 overhead mics or one overhead, one in front of bass drum.
Attached Images
   
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2008, 02:26 PM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

i also use the same midi controller (m-audio oxygen 8 v2) for entering the midi notes for laying down a bass guitar line. once i get that down with a decent tempo and with minimal erorrs on note lengths and timings (i don't quite like to use quantizing, i was never pleased with the end result somehow. (cause once you use quantize then you spend some time to humanize it :) so why the effort, right? ), then i get the drumline straight with my yamaha dtx. it feels more like the real deal compared to finger playing on the keyboard or using the pencil tool in the key editor for the drums so my challenge is to lay down the drum track with most possible few takes and errors. i do some editing for sure afterwards if needed. (i always do to be honest). i use m-audio fast track pro usb 4x4 24bit/96Khz audio interface. here are some pictures of my playground. :)


This used to be the layout previously.


This is now how my gear looks like

__________________
My kit
MySpace

Last edited by tolgapala; 02-22-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-22-2008, 09:01 PM
spleen's Avatar
spleen spleen is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 704
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Great thread gentlemen!

I've long been interested in and involved in (to some degree) the electronic side of drumming and I would absolutely love to buy a Muse Receptor. However, Mrs. Spleen would not be fond of me shelling out that kind of cash right now (can you believe it????), especially since I've spent lots of money over the past year on new drums, cymbals, etc.

Anyway, a new computer might be a possibility and I'm curious Jeff and Gruntersdad, having gone the way of Mac, would you still agree they are worth the higher cost (i.e., compared to a similarly equipped Windows-based machine)?

And Tolgapala, are you satisfied with your computer's performance now that you've made the upgrades you mentioned?

Thanks for the input guys,

spleen
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Definitely worth it with the Mac. I've had mine for a year and three months and I've never, ever been happier with any system I've used. I use it as a general computer and as an audio editing facility and it's great.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-22-2008, 11:00 PM
spleen's Avatar
spleen spleen is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 704
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Definitely worth it with the Mac. I've had mine for a year and three months and I've never, ever been happier with any system I've used. I use it as a general computer and as an audio editing facility and it's great.
Hey MFB,

Thanks for the feedback! If you don't mind, which do you have and what are the specs? Also, do you use yours for e-drumming as well?

Thanks!

spleen
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-22-2008, 11:56 PM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

hi all!

well i actually had serious doubts before investing on a new computer system whether it should be a mac or a windows powered pc and checked my options carefully before buying my recent system. and for sure my answer is a yes, i am satisfied with the performance. if you are looking for a reasonably economic solution for a home recording system i strongly recommend investing money on a pc. it really has not let me down in terms of realtime triggering/monitoring(playback)/recording. if you happen to have a high performance computer you really do not have to worry that much about whether your sound card is a low latency sound interface or not.

i have been asking a lot about the very same issue and fortunately i happen to know some very proficient engineers&producers that are also using performance pcs on a daily basis that gave me advice of the optimum configuration. i am not a great fan of pcs and i am very well aware of the benefits of using a mac (performancewise compared to a pc) but most of the time economics come first as mr.spleen have elegantly put.

there is no chance of having a mac for $980 plus tax and that is almost the exact amount that i have spent for a seriously decent performance pc including two 19" wide tft screens for working more efficiently.

i have to mention aside from the board and the cpu, the amount of ram and it's clockspeed is the very parameter that drives the performance. do not purchase rams with clock speeds lower than 800MHz. 2gigs of ram will do the job for starters. when your needs and rig grow you can always upgrade it to the maximum that your motherboard supports.

a stable running computer system is important and it is for sure that you would regret it if you start cutting corners to save a few dollars but that also doesn't necessarily mean that we should piss our wives off for spending a lot when we could have spent a lot more reasonably. :)

i strongly recommend modern drummer magazine's jan 2008 issue including an article about vst drumming by john emrich.

cheers!
__________________
My kit
MySpace
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-23-2008, 12:11 AM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolgapala View Post

Muse receptor is an awesome solution to bypass the computer in terms of it's performance and being standalone but if you don't need those samples and features with you on stage or if you are not touring a lot, i don't quite see the necessity to invest $2500-3000 to a midi host. :)

So anyway i think there is some good videos you might be interested in. I am including the urls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCVkBP4O0LU - about bfd, muse receptor and drumkat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-riu6QZ7xE - about bfd and zendrum and guru
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roLX4ZW2Ldk - the namm 2008 showcase i was talking about

Cheers!
i am quoting myself weirdly enough... :)
__________________
My kit
MySpace
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-23-2008, 01:56 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen View Post
Hey MFB,

Thanks for the feedback! If you don't mind, which do you have and what are the specs? Also, do you use yours for e-drumming as well?

Thanks!

spleen
I have one of the first-generation Intel Duo Core iMacs (late 2006). 2.0Ghz Processor with 1GB RAM, 150GB HDD and a 20" Screen. I'm actually running a dual-screen setup right now which took precisely one minute to set up. Buy the right lead, plug it into the designated output, then plug it into the other monitor. Sorted.

I don't actually do much virtual drumming, but I've done all sorts of other things on this computer including some fairly intense sampling work and I have run MIDI drums before although it's not something that I like doing or like programming. Luckily right now I'm working in the ambient field which doesn't have much in terms of percussion and anyway I tend to record audio more onto mine. Right now I'm using Logic Express 7.0 (I could buy the new Logic Studio 8 when I have the money, I use it at college and it's excellent) which is really very good indeed. Right now I'm in the process of recording a band's EP for them, which I may link if and when I get recordings I'm happy with. Sooner or later I'm going to have to record their drummer's Roland Kit, so I'll give you more feedback when that comes.

What's astounded me is that you really don't tend to notice the computer. It just works and you never feel like you have to switch it on and wait for it to start working. Although mine 'only' has 1GB of RAM it's never felt underpowered, although another gig would perhaps make it a little faster, but it's very fast as it is. This isn't even the most up-to-date Mac either, it's got the old OSX and it's been superseeded by subsequent generations; but I don't feel the need or want to upgrade.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-23-2008, 02:05 AM
spleen's Avatar
spleen spleen is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 704
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolgapala View Post
hi all!

well i actually had serious doubts before investing on a new computer system whether it should be a mac or a windows powered pc and checked my options carefully before buying my recent system. and for sure my answer is a yes, i am satisfied with the performance. if you are looking for a reasonably economic solution for a home recording system i strongly recommend investing money on a pc. it really has not let me down in terms of realtime triggering/monitoring(playback)/recording. if you happen to have a high performance computer you really do not have to worry that much about whether your sound card is a low latency sound interface or not.

i have been asking a lot about the very same issue and fortunately i happen to know some very proficient engineers&producers that are also using performance pcs on a daily basis that gave me advice of the optimum configuration. i am not a great fan of pcs and i am very well aware of the benefits of using a mac (performancewise compared to a pc) but most of the time economics come first as mr.spleen have elegantly put.

there is no chance of having a mac for $980 plus tax and that is almost the exact amount that i have spent for a seriously decent performance pc including two 19" wide tft screens for working more efficiently.

i have to mention aside from the board and the cpu, the amount of ram and it's clockspeed is the very parameter that drives the performance. do not purchase rams with clock speeds lower than 800MHz. 2gigs of ram will do the job for starters. when your needs and rig grow you can always upgrade it to the maximum that your motherboard supports.

a stable running computer system is important and it is for sure that you would regret it if you start cutting corners to save a few dollars but that also doesn't necessarily mean that we should piss our wives off for spending a lot when we could have spent a lot more reasonably. :)

i strongly recommend modern drummer magazine's jan 2008 issue including an article about vst drumming by john emrich.

cheers!
Thanks for the rundown tolgapala! The information is helpful and I'm impressed that you were able to put together your system for $980 plus tax. Very cool indeed.

And yes, I did read that article in Modern Drummer--that's actually what got me interested in the Muse Receptor! I did see someone selling one for a great price on the V-Drums forum a while back--unfortunately, I didn't have the extra cash at the time to take advantage of the deal. ) :

thanks again,

spleen
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-23-2008, 02:14 AM
AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 535
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

I've been thinking of VST recently b/c I have grown to despise Roland and want to work around using my overpriced module.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there for MIDI drumming. So I'm not really clear what the best investments would be to get into this. Right now I have everything plugged into my just-barely-functional SoundBlaster MIDI port (edrums -> Roland TD-20 -> SoundBlaster MIDI board). 'Monitored' triggering is understandably delayed, about 0.5-1 second. Gets worse if I try to record while playing.

Can anybody give an idea of what basic equipment would be necessary to turn an average PC into a 'drum module' capable of live monitoring with no delay? For example I know there are devices like the Alesis Trigger I/O that take edrums as inputs and convert that to MIDI or USB, but I don't know what people think of it. There's the Megadrum module you can make yourself but that requires some serious EE knowledge.

And there's something I don't understand about both: will I still need to buy a high-end MIDI-capable soundcard to use either? And is there any solution out there that handles stuff like hi-hat variation or position sensing?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-23-2008, 02:28 AM
spleen's Avatar
spleen spleen is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 704
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I have one of the first-generation Intel Duo Core iMacs (late 2006). 2.0Ghz Processor with 1GB RAM, 150GB HDD and a 20" Screen. I'm actually running a dual-screen setup right now which took precisely one minute to set up. Buy the right lead, plug it into the designated output, then plug it into the other monitor. Sorted.

I don't actually do much virtual drumming, but I've done all sorts of other things on this computer including some fairly intense sampling work and I have run MIDI drums before although it's not something that I like doing or like programming. Luckily right now I'm working in the ambient field which doesn't have much in terms of percussion and anyway I tend to record audio more onto mine. Right now I'm using Logic Express 7.0 (I could buy the new Logic Studio 8 when I have the money, I use it at college and it's excellent) which is really very good indeed. Right now I'm in the process of recording a band's EP for them, which I may link if and when I get recordings I'm happy with. Sooner or later I'm going to have to record their drummer's Roland Kit, so I'll give you more feedback when that comes.

What's astounded me is that you really don't tend to notice the computer. It just works and you never feel like you have to switch it on and wait for it to start working. Although mine 'only' has 1GB of RAM it's never felt underpowered, although another gig would perhaps make it a little faster, but it's very fast as it is. This isn't even the most up-to-date Mac either, it's got the old OSX and it's been superseeded by subsequent generations; but I don't feel the need or want to upgrade.
Thanks for the info MFB! You know, I've seldom heard a Mac user say anything negative about them and I like how you said that "you really don't tend to notice the computer." Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the people who are most happy with their PC rigs are guys that have to customize the components to optimize performance. But based on tolgapala's response, this can apparently be done for a very reasonable price, a prospect that really appeals to the cheap b@$t@rd in me!

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback--please let us know if you decide to post some of your tracks, as I'd like to check them out.

spleen
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-23-2008, 02:37 AM
hawk9290's Avatar
hawk9290 hawk9290 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ/Columbus, OH/Punta Gorda, Fl
Posts: 1,054
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Well, if brand appearance isn't a concern but cost is, you can build yourself a mac (or more appropriatley, a hac) if you know what you're doing with computers. I've seen guides that build a decent mac based system for around $400. And then you can either buy the OS at an Apple store, or whatever other method, though if you're already kind of screwing them, you should at least give them a couple dollars imo.
I definitley find macs to be far and away the better system for audio, video, and related apps. I would take them any day- you WILL have Windows crash at least once on an important audio file, and corrupt its backup and you'll have to start it all over (personal experience count: 3 times)

As for VST, I'm just starting to really get into, but its quite fascinating. Normally I've just relied on the plugins and decent mics, or just using directs from my Roland, but I am discovering that it is much easier and more fun to work with VST software
__________________
"When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe."- Henry Thoreau
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-23-2008, 02:41 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,229
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen View Post
Great thread gentlemen!

I've long been interested in and involved in (to some degree) the electronic side of drumming and I would absolutely love to buy a Muse Receptor. However, Mrs. Spleen would not be fond of me shelling out that kind of cash right now (can you believe it????), especially since I've spent lots of money over the past year on new drums, cymbals, etc.

Anyway, a new computer might be a possibility and I'm curious Jeff and Gruntersdad, having gone the way of Mac, would you still agree they are worth the higher cost (i.e., compared to a similarly equipped Windows-based machine)?

And Tolgapala, are you satisfied with your computer's performance now that you've made the upgrades you mentioned?

Thanks for the input guys,

spleen
This is my second one, and I am more than happy. Expensive yes, but they don't come loaded with tons of software that you will never use. I had a PC for 8 years, one Gateway and one Dell. The machines were ok but windows is a joke compared to OS X, in my opinion. I love Garage Band, and the fact that so many applications are so easy to download and install it is amazing.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-23-2008, 03:25 AM
xush's Avatar
xush xush is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 211
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

I'm a recent Mac convert; played my first gig with my macbook and M-audio Axiom 25 keys next to my drums last monday, and was very happy with the results. Our bassist also uses a Macbook for his keyboards and midi footpedals- we're both running "Mainstage."

I haven't really explored it for drumming yet, but I'm curious to. Once or twice, we ran my V-drums through Logic in the studio and tried some of the VST applications. It mapped out pretty well, but without a really healthy application (like DFH or something) it fell a little short.
I hope to explore it more, but have been leaning back towards acoustic drums for performing lately.

I think the Axiom line of keyboard controllers is pretty nice. My bassist has the full-size unit and really likes it. The appeal of the 25 key small model, to me, was the drum pads-
I really want to dig in and see if I can incorporate them while playing live. So far I've only been playing left-hand keys while drumming, but I think this unit could be pretty convenient for covering multiple parts during a show. I originally tried one of those Oxygen 8 units, but it wasn't compatible with the Mac Leopard OS



Also REALLY enjoying using Macs now; for years I used PCs, and even built and repaired them for a while, but I am taking to the Mac pretty quickly- very intuitive and transparent, as mentioned elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-23-2008, 01:00 PM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
I've been thinking of VST recently b/c I have grown to despise Roland and want to work around using my overpriced module.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there for MIDI drumming. So I'm not really clear what the best investments would be to get into this. Right now I have everything plugged into my just-barely-functional SoundBlaster MIDI port (edrums -> Roland TD-20 -> SoundBlaster MIDI board). 'Monitored' triggering is understandably delayed, about 0.5-1 second. Gets worse if I try to record while playing.

Can anybody give an idea of what basic equipment would be necessary to turn an average PC into a 'drum module' capable of live monitoring with no delay? For example I know there are devices like the Alesis Trigger I/O that take edrums as inputs and convert that to MIDI or USB, but I don't know what people think of it. There's the Megadrum module you can make yourself but that requires some serious EE knowledge.

And there's something I don't understand about both: will I still need to buy a high-end MIDI-capable soundcard to use either? And is there any solution out there that handles stuff like hi-hat variation or position sensing?
hey all!

i do agree with all the people talking about mac is the ultimate, seamless and a much more reliable solution regarding vst definately needs a stable computer system with a stable os. using a pc running on a win xp service pack 2 with all the critical&vital updates installed has not let me down so far. i am pretty sure it might have some day though. :)

anyway i would love to have a mac but it sure is ridiculously expensive in turkey considering the fact that i bought all the parts and put together my pc for almost $1000 without tax.

for the quote AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken, i could recommend an external audio interface (most m-audio models are worth their prices) with usb connection. a firewire connection might not work as fast as it works with the mac on a pc so that's why i went for a usb device considering the fact that i could take my audio interface with me let's say to my bass player's house to record his parts and not all the pc systems come with a firewire port. usb is a lot more common.

a basic equipment configuration you need might be as well close to my gear if you are a pc user interested in midi drumming/recording/editing and that is something like below: (an average pc unfortunately won't do the trick. i am saying this because i struggled to much with my old system)

Home Recording Equipment and Software

PC
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz CPU,
GIGABYTE Bearlake S3 Quad Core Compatible 1333 MHz FSB Main Board,
Seagate 7200 Rpm 250 GB SATA HDD,
Kingston 2 GB 800Mhz RAM,
LG Dual Layer 20X DVD Writer,
Audio Interfaces and Equipment
M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB 4x4 24bit/96KHz Audio Interface,
M-Audio Oxygen 8 v2 MIDI Controller Keyboard,
YAMAHA DT20 Triggers,
Vintage SONY Receiver and 3-way Speakers to use as reference monitors,
Wharfedale DD-1 Headphones,
Various Cabling,
Software
Steinberg Cubase SX,
BFD
__________________
My kit
MySpace

Last edited by tolgapala; 02-23-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-23-2008, 04:45 PM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen View Post
Anyway, thanks again for the feedback--please let us know if you decide to post some of your tracks, as I'd like to check them out.

spleen
here's a very sloppy and quick realtime recording demo for you to listen to spleen. no editing whatsoever. i truly apologize i have not laid down a decent groove but it might give you an idea of using midi recording capabilities with a pc using bfd in realtime.

hope this helps. i am surely going to post better examples soon.

cheers!

bfd test played realtime with yamaha dtx
__________________
My kit
MySpace
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-23-2008, 06:40 PM
spleen's Avatar
spleen spleen is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 704
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolgapala View Post
here's a very sloppy and quick realtime recording demo for you to listen to spleen. no editing whatsoever. i truly apologize i have not laid down a decent groove but it might give you an idea of using midi recording capabilities with a pc using bfd in realtime.

hope this helps. i am surely going to post better examples soon.

cheers!

bfd test played realtime with yamaha dtx
Hey, thanks for that tolgapala! I'm at work now so I'll check it with some good cans when I get home.

spleen
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-25-2008, 07:44 PM
AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 535
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolgapala View Post
i could recommend an external audio interface (most m-audio models are worth their prices) with usb connection. a firewire connection might not work as fast as it works with the mac on a pc so that's why i went for a usb device considering the fact that i could take my audio interface with me let's say to my bass player's house to record his parts and not all the pc systems come with a firewire port. usb is a lot more common.

a basic equipment configuration you need might be as well close to my gear if you are a pc user interested in midi drumming/recording/editing and that is something like below: (an average pc unfortunately won't do the trick. i am saying this because i struggled to much with my old system)

Home Recording Equipment and Software

PC
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz CPU,
GIGABYTE Bearlake S3 Quad Core Compatible 1333 MHz FSB Main Board,
Seagate 7200 Rpm 250 GB SATA HDD,
Kingston 2 GB 800Mhz RAM,
LG Dual Layer 20X DVD Writer,
Audio Interfaces and Equipment
M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB 4x4 24bit/96KHz Audio Interface,
M-Audio Oxygen 8 v2 MIDI Controller Keyboard,
YAMAHA DT20 Triggers,
Vintage SONY Receiver and 3-way Speakers to use as reference monitors,
Wharfedale DD-1 Headphones,
Various Cabling,
Software
Steinberg Cubase SX,
BFD
Thanks for the info. I've never owned a Mac for two reasons - their irritating, smug image campaign and the fact that I'm a programmer, which means I'm pretty much a slave to the PC :-P

But I'm actually considering getting a Mac just for musical needs. Not sure if building a PC or Mac would be cheaper. Can anybody outline what a bare-bones Mac would run?

One thing I'm still unclear on is the drum-to-PC interface. From your listing above it looks like you mainly use it for your keyboard which has a MIDI out, so you go keyboard MIDI -> M-Audio -> computer. There's another link in the chain for drums, something that will convert the trigger signals to MIDI (or whatever format the PC needs). Anybody have recommendations for that? Like I said before I've been looking at Megadrum, the drum-to-MIDI thing you can build yourself, but my EE experience isn't too great. Some people have halfheartedly recommended the Alesis Trigger I/O, although that apparently has some issues with Roland drums.

And I've heard from a lot of MIDI drummers that there's no way to handle hi-hat positioning at this time, or position sensing of any type. Given that position sensing on my Roland module isn't that great I'm not worried too much about that, but the ability to open/close hats is kind of a big issue.

I listened to the Toontracks samples and I'm actually excited about e-drumming again, they sound so much better than Roland's samples. Work makes me have to practice on my e-kit more often than my acoustics so it would be great to get this up and running.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-25-2008, 09:10 PM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
Thanks for the info. I've never owned a Mac for two reasons - their irritating, smug image campaign and the fact that I'm a programmer, which means I'm pretty much a slave to the PC :-P

But I'm actually considering getting a Mac just for musical needs. Not sure if building a PC or Mac would be cheaper. Can anybody outline what a bare-bones Mac would run?

One thing I'm still unclear on is the drum-to-PC interface. From your listing above it looks like you mainly use it for your keyboard which has a MIDI out, so you go keyboard MIDI -> M-Audio -> computer. There's another link in the chain for drums, something that will convert the trigger signals to MIDI (or whatever format the PC needs). Anybody have recommendations for that? Like I said before I've been looking at Megadrum, the drum-to-MIDI thing you can build yourself, but my EE experience isn't too great. Some people have halfheartedly recommended the Alesis Trigger I/O, although that apparently has some issues with Roland drums.

And I've heard from a lot of MIDI drummers that there's no way to handle hi-hat positioning at this time, or position sensing of any type. Given that position sensing on my Roland module isn't that great I'm not worried too much about that, but the ability to open/close hats is kind of a big issue.

I listened to the Toontracks samples and I'm actually excited about e-drumming again, they sound so much better than Roland's samples. Work makes me have to practice on my e-kit more often than my acoustics so it would be great to get this up and running.

hey there! thanks for the reply.

i am using a yamaha dtx and it has a midi out so i connect my yamaha drum --> m-audio fast track --> which is connected to the pc so that way i am using fast track pro's midi in in my host software. (which is cubase in my case) midi signals from the drum set comes to the audio interface and then to my computer and there is nothing else in between. the midi controller keyboard(oxygen) i am using is connected directly through a usb port just like my external sound interface(or sound card in other words) is. hope this clears the grey area.

i don't quite know which equipment the midi drummers you've mentioned are using but what they have said is not true about hi-hat positioning and sensing. nearly all the trigger modules come with hi-hat positioning and offset adjustments so the same goes for the known drums software that could be used on pc. such as bfd has another control in the drum map section that is all about hi-hat pedal position. it also has a learn function so you don't quite have to adjust it manually. you would just need to tweak a little to the correct setting that would please you. even the midi devices like drumkat can support the function so that you can actually hear the rattling sound or the chick sound depending on your controllers ability. it is either handled by the stroke velocity or the hi-hat controller pedal's position. same goes for the other samples as well. just like a snaredrum sound output could have snare, drag, flam and rim even if you are not using a multiple-zone trigger pad to trigger each sample separately. that is all handled by the midi (or your stroke velocity for that matter) velocity.
__________________
My kit
MySpace

Last edited by tolgapala; 02-25-2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: some bits i had to edit to clear up. :))
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-14-2008, 02:06 PM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Some upgrades to my equipment are:

PreSonus BlueTube - Tube Amp
CME Matrix Earphone Amp with 2 in 2 outs and 4 controllable earphone outputs
And a very nice condenser microphone. nothing fancy but works perfectly fine.

i finally upgraded to ezdrummer also and the samples and dynamics are killer i have to say. i finally realized i was in agony using bfd folks! i didn't know it back then. now i know how huge a mistake i had made trying to finetune bfd's stupid errors and put up with it for such a long time.

there's this competition if you are interested in getting a copy of SD 2.0 (Superior Drummer from Toontack) for free in their web site. If i don't make it and get one of the three free copies i think my wife and i are getting a serious fight. She would probably shove the dvds down my throat when she realizes i spent approx. 180 on a piece of software. anyway if you are interested just check it out.

cheers to all!
__________________
My kit
MySpace
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-17-2008, 10:23 PM
spleen's Avatar
spleen spleen is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 704
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Hello tolgapala!

Thanks for the update--curious to hear the "blue tube" so let me know if you ever get a chance to post a recording.

Hey, have you had a chance to try out a Mandala drum? http://synesthesiacorp.com/

The specs sound pretty incredible--128 velocity levels and 128 strike positions from center to edge. It comes with a sound library that has over 3000 sampled strikes on a Black Beauty snare. Too cool!

spleen
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-18-2008, 07:34 AM
MusiQmaN's Avatar
MusiQmaN MusiQmaN is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 963
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Anyone tryed the new Yamaha Dtxtreme III allready?





Live theres no need for a (unstable) laptop anymore (though its still possible with the 2 usb connections and midi connections) with its internal (expandable) ram memory, sequencer, sampler etc. Also samples of real drums (not that electronical sounding drums of other companies) recorded by great drummers such as Akira Jimbo, Dave Weckl, Zacky, Russ Miller, J.R. Robinson and Tommy Aldrigde.

http://www.dtxperience.com/dtxtremeIII.php

Quote:
Tone Generator Tone Generator AWM2
Polyphony 64 notes
Wave 205MB (when converted to 16-bit linear format)

Voice Preset 1,115 drum voices, 211 melody voices (GM)

Drum Kit Presets 50 kits, User 50 kits (in the Flash ROM), External 1584 kits (or 99 x 16, in the external USB storage device)
Effects Reverb 9 types, Chorus 19 types, Variation 51 types, Insertion 51 types, Master Effect 9 types, Master EQ 5 bands

Trigger Trigger Setup Preset: 7, User: 5, Pad songs play, chace, cutoff. 4 songs (max.) can be played simultaneously.

Sequencer
Note Capacity Approx. 152,000 notes
Note Resolution 480 ppq (parts per quarter note)
Song Recording type Real time
Song tracks 2 tracks
Songs Demo 3 songs
Practice songs 44 songs
Pad song 40 songs
User 50 songs
Sequence Format DTXTREME III Original Format, SMF format 0
Click Tempo 30 – 300 , Tap tempo
Beat 1/4 – 16/4, 1/8 – 16/8, 1/16 – 16/16
Timing Accent Quarter note, Eighth note, Sixteenth note, Triplet

Click Voices Preset 8
Training Functions Measure break, Groove check, Rhythm gate
Sampling Samples 1,016 (for the User Voices)
Sampling Sources Audio input signals via AUX IN/SAMPLING IN, Audio output signals via OUTPUT (Resample)
Sample Data Bits 16bit
Sampling Frequency 44.1kHz, 22.05 kHz, 11.025 kHz, 5.5125 kHz (stereo/mono)
Sampling Memory Optionally installed, expandable to 512 MB (256 MB DIMM x 2 slots)
* DIMMs are not installed to the instrument when shipped from the factory.

Sample Length Mono: 32MB, Stereo: 64MB
Sampling Time 44.1kHz: 6 min. 20 sec. 22.05kHz: 12 min. 40 sec. 11.025kHz: 25 min. 20 sec. 5.5125kHz: 55 min. 40 sec. *Mono/Stereo

Sample Format DTXTREME III Original format, WAV, AIFF
Controllers ■ Sliders MASTER, PHONES, CLICK, ACCOMP., KICK, SNARE, TOM, CYMBAL, HI-HAT, MISC.
Displays 240 x 64 dot graphic backlit LCD, 7-segment LED (3-digit)

Connectors MIDI IN/OUT
USB TO DEVICE/TO HOST
OUTPUT L/MONO, R (standard phone jack)
DIGITAL OUT (EIAJ CP1201, IEC60958, S/P DIF)
INDIVIDUAL OUTPUT 1 – 6 (standard phone jack)
Trigger Input jacks 1 – 9, 12 – 15 (Standard stereo phone jack, L: Trigger Signal, R: Rim Switch)
Trigger Input jacks 10 and 11 (Standard stereo phone jack, L: Trigger Signal, R: Trigger Signal)
AUX IN/SAMPLING IN (Standard stereo phone jack)
PHONES (Standard stereo phone jack)
HI-HAT CONTROL (Standard stereo phone jack)
DC IN 16V

Power Consumption 18W
Dimensions, Weight 334(W) x 285(D) x 96(H) mm, 3.6kg

Accessories AC Power Adaptor (Yamaha PA-300B, or an equivalent), Module stand, Module stand fastening screws (4; included)


This state of the piece blows modules like a TD-20 away hands down.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 PM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen View Post
Hello tolgapala!

Thanks for the update--curious to hear the "blue tube" so let me know if you ever get a chance to post a recording.

Hey, have you had a chance to try out a Mandala drum? http://synesthesiacorp.com/

The specs sound pretty incredible--128 velocity levels and 128 strike positions from center to edge. It comes with a sound library that has over 3000 sampled strikes on a Black Beauty snare. Too cool!

spleen
hey spleen!

i actually do have a recording but it is right now on a very scale model state of the actual song and probably not a very good performance demonstration of the tube. i am posting it anyway. :) i never tried the Mandala Drum but it looks interesting as far as i can see.

my friend (who used to be the lead singer and guitar player of my band) and i are taking things kinda slow to make it as good as we can and the fact that we can find so little time of our own to make music is another reason. this recording is the export of the cubase project as it was couple of weeks ago. working on it as we speak.

it is basically a very crude mixdown. the channels are all to be dumped one by one and replaced with the final performances as the project grows eventually. so nevermind the guitar tone, the vocals etc. they are all temporary and recorded in 3 am in the morning roughly for laying down a basic picture of the traffic. i played the drums live (using my dtx connected to ezdrummer software via midi) to see if what i think fits the overall spirit of the song. no editing whatsoever and this is take two for the drums. :)

i did play the song from beginning to end without any pause and restart, rather than laying down the midi notes from the screen cause it feels more like the real deal and i never liked the editing process. it's the main thing with home studio recording for a musician, either you learn to play flawlessly or you become a very swift cubase editor. :) you know if i blunder i start over again. time is mine since it is my little recording studio i am not pressurized by a tight production schedule or a producer pushing me and reminding me of the budget&deadlines.

you will probably notice the bass stops playing just around the end of the solo because i haven't finished writing it. i was laying down the bass line. i just applied some effects for the vocals to make them bearable at this stage. and some overdrive to the guitar.

i had to give a link for the song because of the constraints for the file size in the forum.

i said too much already. :) hope you enjoy it. i sincerely do. i will post the final version as soon as we two part time musicians (with different professions for daily bread) find sometime of our own and get up our lazy butts and get together to finish the song. :)

cheers!

Dinle - by:Uygar&Tolga

p.s.here you can find my first ever try to record drums at home
thread : my "not so special" kits
__________________
My kit
MySpace

Last edited by tolgapala; 07-25-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-03-2008, 07:00 PM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

hey all!

there's something i would like to share with all you guys. actually it's a difficulty that i have come across and asked a pro about it if you already have not figured out.

so if any of you would like to record midi drums i would strongly recommend to split channels after recording all the midi notes with the desired map and lay down kick drum, snare, hi-hat, crashes and other cymbals and toms to different channels for easy eq ing and editing and exporting if you are working on a project that needs to be done in different locations and share it with other band members.

you can cut and paste different elements to a different channel but remember to paste what you have cut from the source channel to the origin (paste at origin function) otherwise the host would paste it at the locator's position and you would need to second edit it by hand.

cheers.
__________________
My kit
MySpace
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-10-2008, 10:00 PM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

hey all!

her are two examples of a bo diddley shuffle variant. one is from the ezdrummer nashville set with no room selected on the eq settings. the other one is exported by hand to separate channels (kick, snare and hi-hat) and were applied a multiband compressor and some eqs.

the shuffle was played directly by myself through my dtx and repeated. no edits were applied. 90 bpm. here is how the sound changes especially on the snare (you would naturally notice the overtone or the ring to it) when you export it to a separate channel and use compression on the audio. i am not even close to a pro on the stuff, i merely try to figure out the basics on the subject. namely the compression technique that i had the chance to ask about, to a pro.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 shuffle_midi.mp3 (475.6 KB, 279 views)
File Type: mp3 shuffle_audio_compressed.mp3 (475.6 KB, 252 views)
__________________
My kit
MySpace
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-11-2008, 09:50 AM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

any comments anyone?
__________________
My kit
MySpace
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-11-2008, 06:37 PM
spleen's Avatar
spleen spleen is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 704
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Hey Tolga!

I've been meaning to get back to you for a while now--hope you are well!

Nice playing, and wow, what a difference when you split to separate channels! It's very exciting to realize all the possibilities available when doing this kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing, sounds great.

I also had a chance to check out "Dinle" which is very cool as well. You're definitely much farther along with this than I am so I'll probably have many questions for you once I find the time to do more of my own recording.

spleen
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 AM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen View Post
Hey Tolga!

I've been meaning to get back to you for a while now--hope you are well!

Nice playing, and wow, what a difference when you split to separate channels! It's very exciting to realize all the possibilities available when doing this kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing, sounds great.

I also had a chance to check out "Dinle" which is very cool as well. You're definitely much farther along with this than I am so I'll probably have many questions for you once I find the time to do more of my own recording.

spleen
hey!

it is very nice to hear from you as well. i am doing ok, spending my quality time reading on subjects regarding sound engineering. i am at the very beginning actually, but when you start digging in, you find yourself within endless possibilities and information to digest.

it is a total different subject with regard to playing an instrument but i thought "hey i am a drummer, why not become a drummer with some sound engineering knowledge under his belt." :)

i am glad you liked "dinle". as far as being farther along with this stuff, i unfortunately disagree. i am merely trying to figure out things. pros on this subject can determine whether the room they mix and master in, absorbs certain frequencies, how they should place certain instruments in the frequency window to leave let's say vocals a broader gap in order not to boost gain and be able to record every intonation, every detail in lower gains.

i think, the user mediocrefunkybeat is into that kind of stuff also. but you're more than welcome to ask any questions that i might hopefully be able to answer.

take care!
__________________
My kit
MySpace
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-13-2008, 03:22 AM
toddy's Avatar
toddy toddy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: isle of wight/london
Posts: 1,634
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Hi, just thought I'd post here.. I'll probably ask random questions later anyway!
I'm new to these E-drum/VST shenanigans but I have just had a studio built in my back garden, so I figured I would invest in a nice e-drumkit. Not really sure which to pick yet, it's either a TD20, DTX III or a high end Hart or R.E.T kit.
I've had a go on my friends TD20 for a while hooked up to DFH and I must admit the sample quality really surprised me, it was extremely good, nothing "fake" sounding about it in the least.

Already got a macbook setup with BFD/Pro tools along with a Alesis I/O so I just need the E-kit now :)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-13-2008, 11:05 AM
tolgapala's Avatar
tolgapala tolgapala is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Istanbul, TURKEY
Posts: 178
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
Hi, just thought I'd post here.. I'll probably ask random questions later anyway!
I'm new to these E-drum/VST shenanigans but I have just had a studio built in my back garden, so I figured I would invest in a nice e-drumkit. Not really sure which to pick yet, it's either a TD20, DTX III or a high end Hart or R.E.T kit.
I've had a go on my friends TD20 for a while hooked up to DFH and I must admit the sample quality really surprised me, it was extremely good, nothing "fake" sounding about it in the least.

Already got a macbook setup with BFD/Pro tools along with a Alesis I/O so I just need the E-kit now :)
hi toddy!

well it is nice to see people of the same interest grow day by day.

i am a yamaha dtx user for a couple of years now and pretty much figured out every gimmick about it. roland dt20 is a masterpiece but as far as the price issue goes it is a killer. same goes almost for the yamaha dtextreme IVs. pricy kits.

there are a number of manufacturers out there but pintech could be a solid option or the hart dynamics. yamaha produces vinyl pads so a mesh pad could be a lot convenient to play with.

you are absolutely right about the sound quality. most of the recording is done by midi technology nowadays even world recognized bands record drum parts electronically. i has numerous advantages for the sake of the production efforts.

as far as the reality of the samples go, it is almost crazy right now. i have not been able to lay hands on superior 2.0 from toontrack but as far i have heard it has 14 gigs worth of only sampled hats. so i guess they have covered pretty much every dynamic involved. i am using dfh also and loving it a lot better then bfd.
__________________
My kit
MySpace
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Redboy's Avatar
Redboy Redboy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Hey Team,

Great thread. I'm real new to the digital stuff but I've been making some good headway in a short time.

I run a Macbook Pro with Logic and a Motu Ultralite. I'm pretty happy with Logic now that I am unraveling stuff like the ESX24 and the Mac takes all the punishment I can give the thing. I would think twice before buying an Ultralite though. They have heaps of ins and outs but in hindsight I would have gone for something with better/more mic pre-amps.

My latest toy is a DTXplorer. This kit was the right price and I'm glad I bought it but I've already started to Mod the thing. So far I've connected it to the ESX sampler and multi-tracked the kit in Logic. I'm using a bunch of sampled kit sounds a mate built and it's sounding HUGE. I use Midipipe to change the trigger sounds.

My band jams out in my room and we all forget we are playing with headphones on. It sounds like an AC/DC concert.

So far I've got a bunch of Sennhieser mics and one SE2200A. Love the Sennies and the SE has great tone - though it picks up EVERY bit of back ground noise.

For guitars U mic up my Engl and we use guitar rig.

Also running Yamaha HS80 speakers. Again I would probably buy a different set should I get to turn back time but they do give a very honest tone.

Short term plans are building a vocal booth so I can get my scream on, upgrade the snare and brain on the DTX and add a few more cymbals (already running three) and record killer album in my bedroom.

I do have one question though. I'm not getting a smooth hi hat closing with Logic. The pad triggers an open tone, then the pedal triggers an open tone when pushed. Sort of two tones bleeding into each other.

Suggestions?



__________________
Hell Yeah!

Last edited by Redboy; 06-15-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Images didn't take
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Probably just a case of re-assigning the MIDI events in Logic to apply to different samples. It's very difficult unless you're using a very advanced sample library to get it 'right'. I love what you can do with a relatively cheap electric kit these days. Logic is also my DAW of choice and it's just fantastic.

SE Mics are fantastic. I used a couple of them when I was at college and was very impressed. The model we had wasn't quite as nice as the Neumann I used to record a Tibetan Singing Bowl with (which was just stunning, lovely smooth sound). I'm also quite fond of Yamaha monitors in general. Sure, they're harsh, but if you can mix on those, you can mix on almost anything - everything comes out on them!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Redboy's Avatar
Redboy Redboy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

Cheers for that Funkybeat.

I've been bugging everyone I can think of about the midi hat issue and I reckon i'll solve it one way or the other. It's so unsatisfying to not get any clutch action. I think the "links" between the samples is my issue though but I can't find any decent info on midi and hat clutching. Each time I think I've got a fix I learn something new and unexpected so at least I'm not wasting time.

Still you are right about what you can do with a cheap kit. I spent a few hours tweaking today and it's sounding very organic and drum like. Very pleasing as I hate over processed drums. At some point I'm going to take a bunch of drums into a big old concrete building and make some real booming samples.

Anyone in Melbourne or Australia wanna recommend a good snare pad? One that's very snare like?
__________________
Hell Yeah!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: VST Drumming (Share opinions, howtos, knowledge and discussions)

The only way I can think of doing it the way you want would be to have two MIDI plates that each send out a signal, in an analogue of the way an acoustic hi hat works. That or a more complex sample library.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com