DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Default Effects for drums

HAS ANYONE USED AN EFFECTS BOX TO ALTER THE DRUM SOUND FOR DIFFERENT SONGS ETC.. IN LIVE APPLICATIONS LIKE A COMPRESSOR OR SOMETHING?
IN LIVE APPLICATIONS I TRIGGER MY BASS DRUM AND MIC EVERYTHING ELSE. I THEN RUN INTO A 6 CHANNEL BEHRINGER SUB MIX OVER TO THE BANDS MAIN MIXER TO THE PA. I WAS WONDERING FOR DIFFERENT SONGS HAS ANYONE RAN THE DRUM MIX THROUGH A SIGNAL PROCESSOR LIKE YOU WOULD A GUITAR? IS IT POSSIBLE? AM I JUST OVERTHINKING THIS? WHY DOES THIS TORMENT ME?
I DON'T REALLY WANT TO TRIGGER MY WHOLE KIT WHICH SHOULD BE SOMEONES FIRST RESPONSE, SINCE I LIKE MY HEADS NICE AND OPEN (VERY LITTLE MUFFLE)
Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: EFFECTS FOR DRUMS

Everything sure is big in Texas...
Old 02-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Everything sure is big in Texas...
You just made my day, thanks!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jon View Post
HAS ANYONE USED AN EFFECTS BOX TO ALTER THE DRUM SOUND FOR DIFFERENT SONGS
Yes.
Quote:
I WAS WONDERING FOR DIFFERENT SONGS HAS ANYONE RAN THE DRUM MIX THROUGH A SIGNAL PROCESSOR LIKE YOU WOULD A GUITAR?
Yes.
Quote:
IS IT POSSIBLE?
Yes.
Quote:
AM I JUST OVERTHINKING THIS?
Probably.
Quote:
WHY DOES THIS TORMENT ME?
I don't know.
Quote:
I DON'T REALLY WANT TO TRIGGER MY WHOLE KIT WHICH SHOULD BE SOMEONES FIRST RESPONSE, SINCE I LIKE MY HEADS NICE AND OPEN (VERY LITTLE MUFFLE)
Then don't. Why are you yelling?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:52 PM

Sorry about the caps. I do allot of drafting work and when using CAD we type in caps for the drawings to be clear. I sometimes forget the caps lock is even on. I was not yelling at you. I just could not constrain my thoughts quickly enough.
I also appreciate all of yall's kind words and ridicule. YOU GUYS ARE A TRIBUTE TO BOTH ROCK AND ROLL.
I'm doing some Tool songs and thought since DC probablly recorded the song Aenima with the electric kit which gave him a great sound, maybe I could run my kit through a compressor to try and mimic the sound he got.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Well, to mimic Danny Careys sound, buy the Mandala drum http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp...a-Mandala.html With the V1 and V2 versions out, both units are simply amazing. Danny and Vince http://www.synesthesiacorp.com/ have put together an awesome product. A good drummer bud of mine has two of each. Dannys sounds are proprietary to him, as opposed to Roland, Yamaha, Alesis, etc. As far as the Anima drum sounds, that was pre-Mandala pads. But regardless of what type of trigger/pad you use, his sounds are his sounds. At the recording of Amima, Danny was using those big Simmons pads and a Sonor kit, I do believe.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 PM

I'm really not sure if this is what you would consider an "effect", but I read an interview with Carmine Appice featured in it and he explained how he used a Wah Pedal on his snare to make a "Snare Wah".
Old 02-12-2008, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the input fellers.
The mandala is out of the price range with the herd of chillrens I have and all but I think I'm going to work on some set up's and try and come up with something a lil different. I like the pedal though. I think I have one laying around I could experiment with.
Aenima has one of the most unique drum sounds. Sometimes I'm convinced he recorded his own midi sounds using like a practice pad and then added some depth but I'm not sure. got some guys down here in Houston wanting to do a TOOL set and some bars willing to pay big bucks for it so what the hell.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sometimes I'm convinced he recorded his own midi sounds using like a practice pad and then added some depth but I'm not sure.
That's what I meant when I said "Dannys sounds are proprietary to him". He has created, sampled and owns his sounds. I run a Roland SPD-S sampler in my hybrid kit, in stereo. One side "dry" into a Roland PM-1 and the "wet" side thru a Electro-Harmonix 16 Sec. Delay (loop station) and Ernie Ball Jr. vol. pedal (for fading the loops in and out) and into a second PM-1. Then I have my 1985 Tama Techstar drums. 6 channels of analog synthesizer/drums. In one of it's "most basic" forms, I run my kit with rack, floor and kick sounding more like tablas than "traditional" western drums.
Attached Images