DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-11-2008, 01:36 AM

Default Bonham & Remo P3s?

Hi,

OK. I have just been watching the 2003 Zep DVD for the first time in about 18 months (oh, the shame!) and I was wondering if anyone else had noticed the P3-style heads visible on both Bonzo's Green Sparkle and Vistalite kits? I have seen this before in some photos, but always thought they were shadows as it has always been claimed that Bonham never used damping in his bass drums. Also adding to my confusion is Jeff Ocheltree's claims in the book 'The Thunder of Drums' that Bonham never used any damping at all, yet on his DVD 'Trust Your Ears' tells us that Bonham always used felt strips on the front and back of his bass drum to get that 'focused' sound.

Now, this got me wondering about the invention of the P3 head. Who suddenly thought, "Wait a minute! I've got a great idea that'll mean the end of putting half your laundry in the bass drum!"?

Cubbydrummer

P.S. Before anyone lays into me about slagging Bonham, I am a huge fan of his and Zep and also have huge respect for all Bonham's techs (Glen Colson, Mick Hinton and Jeff Ocheltree). I just wondered if anyone else had noticed this 'damping' that apparently was never used...
Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bonham & Remo P3s?

The Remo Controlled Sound head was introduced in 1968. The Pinstripe head was born around 1973. (best dates I've found so far). An "old dog" drummer trick was to make a richie ring out of an old drum head, which is all the Powerstroke 3 basically gives you, a factory made richie ring attached to an Ambassador head. Can't find an exact date on the birth of the Powerstroke 3, but I'm sure it was after 1973.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Remo Power Stroke came out in the 80's as a response to removable rings on the tops of head's. Bonham would not have used one.

"Bonham always used felt strips on the front and back of his bass drum to get that 'focused' sound."

Keep in mind Ocheltree was B's tech for only a year, maybe two late in Bonzo's career. The felt strip blip may be a reference to recording. Ocheltree confirms the 70' green sparkle kit was Bonham's favorite to record with. If green set made it to a live stage, the felt strips probably would not have been touched/removed.

Last album Bonzo recorded on (In through-) reportedly no front-head was used, hard to tell by the sound.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:53 PM

I have noticed that myself, especially on the Royal Albert Hall section, but it is an old technique. Harryconway is right, it's a "richie ring" and it's probably why remo invented the powerstroke heads. They see a big drummer like Bonham doing it, they can make some money right?

I am going to try a coated powerstroke 4 soon to see what it sounds like on my bass.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:12 PM

I could be wrong but as I understood it on Ocheltree video I believe he says he used the felt strips for a bit of muffleing only in recording not in live situations...because he very rarely used the Green Sparkle drums live.