DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-17-2014, 12:23 AM
Gold Member

Default Video - My cymbal sets... Paiste 2002, Sabian AAX, and Zildjian Avedis

I just copied and pasted my video description below. Would love to know your thoughts!

************************************************** *************************************

These are the three cymbal sets I currently own. Just wanted to make a quick video showing how each set sounds.

Sets in order are:

Paiste 2002
- 15" Sound-Edge Hi-Hats
- 18" Medium Crash
- 24" Rev Al Big Ride
- 20" Medium Crash

Sabian AAX
- 15" Xcelerator Hi-Hats
- 16" Dark Crash
- 21" Memphis Ride
- 18" Dark Crash

Zildjian Avedis
- 15" New Beat Hi-Hats
- 18" Medium Thin Crash
- 22" Medium Ride
- 20" Medium Thin Crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj3-...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-21-2014, 03:02 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Video - My cymbal sets... Paiste 2002, Sabian AAX, and Zildjian Avedis

I'm selling the 15" AAX Xcelerator hats. Picked up a pair of new AAX Freq hats today and couldn't be happier. I've watched every video of Freq hats online and they always sound great to me.

I got to compare a pair of Freq hats to a pair of HHX Groove Hats that were on clearance. Both were the same price. The HHX were obviously the better deal! But I definitely liked the Freq hats more.

Compared two sets of Freq hats and picked these, which were slightly crispier. Loving them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej4t...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-21-2014, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Video - My cymbal sets... Paiste 2002, Sabian AAX, and Zildjian Avedis

Very nice presentation in the first post.

They all sound good.
I tried to listen through it a few times with an open mind.
I don't know if I'm really biased, or if my ears are just attuned to Zildjians, but when you got to them, it seemed like coming home.
Particularly the hi hats, I felt right in the groove with them.

Lucky guy to have 3 full sets of really nice cymbals. Leaning towards a favorite yet?

Yep - the Freq hats in the second post sound pretty darn good too.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Very nice presentation in the first post.

They all sound good.
I tried to listen through it a few times with an open mind.
I don't know if I'm really biased, or if my ears are just attuned to Zildjians, but when you got to them, it seemed like coming home.
Particularly the hi hats, I felt right in the groove with them.

Lucky guy to have 3 full sets of really nice cymbals. Leaning towards a favorite yet?

Yep - the Freq hats in the second post sound pretty darn good too.
Yes the Zildjians just spoke to me also. All were nice though.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for the comments! I have a hard time picking a favorite set. I do LOVE the Paiste 2002 series and if I could only keep a single set, it would probably be those. But the Zildjians are probably the most versatile. They could easily cover ANY type of music on the planet IMO. They are probably the most versatile of the bunch.

Haven't had much time with the Sabians yet, but I'm digging what they bring to the table!

I do have an affection for Paiste in general... :)
Old 09-22-2014, 11:45 PM

Great playing.

The Memphis Ride, such a wonderful all around ride. I've had one for a while and am constantly impressed by all it can do.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:15 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt2 View Post
Great playing.

The Memphis Ride, such a wonderful all around ride. I've had one for a while and am constantly impressed by all it can do.
Thanks! This Memphis Ride is the real deal! I heard one in a store and that started my recent infatuation with Sabian. Crazy nice sounding ride!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:23 AM
Silver Member

Very cool comparison.

I think they all sound good. I have played sabians and zildjian for a while now but the ones that stood out the most were the paiste. The crashes and ride sound sweet!

The aax dark crashes didnt sound dark to me. Maybe its just me. Idk. But the ride sounds good though

The avedis crashes also sound good. Ive played the medium ones and always felt they were a bit to heavy for my taste. Ive recently played the medium-thins and felt the weight was good.

Strange, i always heard the paistes online or tapped them in the store, but never really owned any. Its definitely a different sound but my ears enjoy them. Maybe its finally time to buy some and properly introduce myself.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

So out of curiosity, are you getting a chance to play these in a band context? During my own adventures thru Paiste/Sabian/Zildjian land, I noticed that they not only sound different perched atop the 'ole kit in the basement, but they also sound different with the band - though, not always in the way you might expect or anticipate after only hearing them solo'd on your kit.

I'm mostly a fan boy of all three, though I do have my preferences. On the versatility issue, you're generally picking rock style cymbals (on the brighter side of things), any of which would do the job in a rock environment. Not to be overly contrarian or nit-picky, but I really don't see/hear any of them being more versatile than another for that type of playing. Kinda gets back the old "what's the best X for Y?" type question.

They're all holding their own nicely for what they're all doing.

If you wanted to run the comparison / experiment to its logical conclusion, pretend you just landed endorsement offers from all three companies for the big high-profile rock act you're involved in and could pick only one. Which would it be?

Having been through this exercise myself, and confirmed after watching your vids, I'd pick (in order of preference):
1. Zildjian
2. Paiste
3. Sabian

Sabian #3 for sure (owing to their relative "softness" and more muted tones), but the other two are *almost* a coin-toss. I really like 2oo2s but they're just a tad too specific for me (read: clean), so I'd end up with the Zildjians. I should also say that I could be happy picking any of the three as full-time sets. Hearing full sets of all three over the years played by me in my various band contexts has been the deciding factor. YMMV.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Gold Member

I have used all sets in a band context, but the Sabians are new and I've only used them with the band at rehearsal at my place (not a different room.) I'll eventually get to use them at a gig (maybe even this upcoming weekend.)

Met a guy from Craigslist last night to sell the AAX hats, so that kinda paid for the Freq Hats. That was the goal. yay for me! :)
Old 09-23-2014, 02:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
...On the versatility issue, you're generally picking rock style cymbals (on the brighter side of things), any of which would do the job in a rock environment. Not to be overly contrarian or nit-picky, but I really don't see/hear any of them being more versatile than another for that type of playing. Kinda gets back the old "what's the best X for Y?" type question...
I do play in a rock band, so I can get lots of use out of each set. But I consider them a little more versatile than you're saying. I think the set of Zildjian As can be used for anything in the world. Country, rock, funk, and yes, jazz. But I realize not everyone agrees with that.

When I think of cymbals that are purely rock, I think of heavy pingy rides, really bright and rude crashes, heavy hi hats, etc...
Old 09-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
I do play in a rock band, so I can get lots of use out of each set. But I consider them a little more versatile than you're saying. I think the set of Zildjian As can be used for anything in the world. Country, rock, funk, and yes, jazz. But I realize not everyone agrees with that.

When I think of cymbals that are purely rock, I think of heavy pingy rides, really bright and rude crashes, heavy hi hats, etc...
Actually, all I meant with the rock cymbal statement was that none of your cymbals are of the specialty thin heavily-hammered wobbler variety. I wasn't trying to conjure images of Pitch Blacks or any manhole covers! Does anyone but the metal cats use those? (metal cats - haha!)

So just to clarify, I think all the cymbals sets you're running are roughly equivalent in the versatility department and any of them will nicely cover the styles you mentioned. Maybe I should have said 'modern' instead of rock?

And Jazz being the broad genre covering so many decades, it's really hard to say that the As would cover jazz any better than the others, but that depends on the type of jazz I suppose. Big band for sure; small lounge-y combos, maybe not so much. But I've seen Tony Williams goin' to town on some 2oo2s so there's that, and there's no shortage of Sabian representation in the field as well.

I think we actually have pretty similar tastes in cymbals, tbh. Medium-Thin-ish crashes, medium rides, and hats with medium top over heavy bottoms. On the Sabians, did you ever get to checking out the Xplosions? Not crazy about what the name implies, but those were my faves by a wide margin. The AAXs in a 18, 19, & 20 were the real deal for me. I had a couple HHX versions, but IME, they always felt heavier and stiffer, which was weird since I'd have expected them to be thinner and more playable, not less. The AAXs felt more like butter - somewhere between an A Med-Thin and an A Custom (regular thin) only warmer.

BTW, our Zildjian sets are very similar:
15" New Beats
22" A Medium Ride
18" A Custom (or 18" K Medium Thin)
19" A Medium Thin
20" K Crash/Ride
Old 09-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Gold Member

Hey mike, yeah that makes s3nse. I see what you're saying.

if I 2 re to take the cymbals I have and assemble the perfect set, the only thing I'm sure about are the 2002 medium crashes. Those are my favorite for sure. The hats and ride are much harder to choose from!