DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-09-2014, 05:58 AM

Default Picked up my Ludwig Centennials today!

New to me Ludwig Centennials that I picked up today. Made the 3 1/2 hour trek to Charlotte, NC with a buddy and had an awesome time. They are in excellent condition. Found one scratch on top of the bass drum about 2" long but nothing else. The 18" floor tom had not been played much if at all. The 13" and 16" had the heads replaced but the 18 did not.

I put new Coated Emperors on all the toms batter side and a new Coated Ambassador on my 1968 LM400. I'll get them tuned up tomorrow since my little guy was asleep tonight. I am really excited about these. They have a really deep and fat sound and I love the finish.

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Picked up my Ludwig Centennials today!

Is that a 24 bass. They look cool and look like they could be deep and loud. Nice road trip for the drums.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:57 AM

Congrats. They look real nice.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:01 PM

Thanks guys. Yes 24" bass. The kit is so much louder than my old exports.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 PM

Beautiful kit! Love the Luddys!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Gold Member

Great looking drums Bub
Old 03-11-2014, 07:17 AM

Location: Deerfield, MA/goes to boarding school in Squaw Valley, CA

Yo, that's a sweet kit. I love my Centennial kit. Its so loud and the 18" floor tom is like a cannon. However, I'm going to warn you, the tension rods get loose while you play. They are fine once you get use to it. The other down side to it is, well, there isn't one, except its too damn loud... oh wait, we are drummers, who gives a poop whether its too loud? I have the same kit except red sparkle, as you can tell.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarwonable View Post
Yo, that's a sweet kit. I love my Centennial kit. Its so loud and the 18" floor tom is like a cannon. However, I'm going to warn you, the tension rods get loose while you play. They are fine once you get use to it. The other down side to it is, well, there isn't one, except its too damn loud... oh wait, we are drummers, who gives a poop whether its too loud? I have the same kit except red sparkle, as you can tell.
Nice looking kit in Red! I've noticed that about the tension rods as well. I'm not an overly aggressive player and actually need to play a little quieter with my bandmates so hopefully that will help some.

I'm still tweaking the tuning on the 18" some. The 16 sounds fantastic and the 13 is real close. I don't have much experience with 18s so I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for in a sound yet but regardless it is LOUD!
Old 03-11-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bub72ck View Post
Nice looking kit in Red! I've noticed that about the tension rods as well. I'm not an overly aggressive player and actually need to play a little quieter with my bandmates so hopefully that will help some.

I'm still tweaking the tuning on the 18" some. The 16 sounds fantastic and the 13 is real close. I don't have much experience with 18s so I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for in a sound yet but regardless it is LOUD!
My experience with 18's is limited but more than once I used a 2 ply reso head to control the thunder just a bit
Old 03-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Centennials are a good bargain if you an find them. Ludwig blew them out a few years ago when they discontinued. USA maple but assembled in Taiwan if I'm correct. Anyway congrats. Yeah those are a nice upgrade.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Centennials are a good bargain if you an find them. Ludwig blew them out a few years ago when they discontinued. USA maple but assembled in Taiwan if I'm correct. Anyway congrats. Yeah those are a nice upgrade.
It still surprises me that Ludwig has not continued to sell these kits or something like them stateside. I know the Signet 105 is in a similar pricepoint but they are a very unique looking drum. Not saying good or bad but the finish on them is definitely different than traditional lacquer or wrapped drums. Going from the Element to Keystone leaves a huge gap in pricing markets and I would think the $800-$1,200 range would be a sweetspot for a lot of weekend giggers and hobbyists. I'm definitely happy I snagged my set of Centennials. I had my last kit for 25 years so these probably will be in the stable for quite a while.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:

I'm a weird person. I have a different heads set-up. I have pinstripes on the batter and coated ambassadors on the resos. It gives more punch than tone, but you have to tune it just right or you get too much reverb. As for the bass drum, you'll need to put a hole in the reso head, it sounds so much better. It gives more punch.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

There's another thread about Centennials here,and about their availability in the USA.Although the Ludwig website states otherwise,new Centenials are being sold at Guitar Center,exclusively.Our own Bermuda called Ludwig a short time ago,and they verified this info,so ...yes,you can buy then in the US ...brand spanking new.:)

Steve B
Old 03-12-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
There's another thread about Centennials here,and about their availability in the USA.Although the Ludwig website states otherwise,new Centenials are being sold at Guitar Center,exclusively.Our own Bermuda called Ludwig a short time ago,and they verified this info,so ...yes,you can buy then in the US ...brand spanking new.:)

Steve B
Musicians Friend is also carrying them.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarwonable View Post
ALL OF THIS.

I use the 26 inch bass drum. I have been noticing they loosen up on me and I am not thrilled with that. Especially the 14x10.

As far as the other guys in the band... the bass player sat in the other room because he says they are too loud. The guitar player complained he had to turn up too loud and the singer says he cant hear himself. I have the silver sparkle version of these.

Complainers.

We ripped out Achilles Last Stand and it told me exactly why I wanted the kit and how much it was worth the heads and how long it took me to fine tune the kit. Then the lugs got loose and some of the kit detuned on me.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member

Oh Yea Man, have fun hitting those beautiful silver babies!
Old 03-12-2014, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeelDrummer View Post
ALL OF THIS.

I use the 26 inch bass drum. I have been noticing they loosen up on me and I am not thrilled with that. Especially the 14x10.

As far as the other guys in the band... the bass player sat in the other room because he says they are too loud. The guitar player complained he had to turn up too loud and the singer says he cant hear himself. I have the silver sparkle version of these.

Complainers.

We ripped out Achilles Last Stand and it told me exactly why I wanted the kit and how much it was worth the heads and how long it took me to fine tune the kit. Then the lugs got loose and some of the kit detuned on me.
Tell your bandmates to f*** off and that they are jealous. My guys are fine with it, it's hella loud, but its awesome. We practice in a dorm room and everyone gets pissed off, but I don't care?

Last edited by aarwonable; 03-12-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeelDrummer View Post
ALL OF THIS.

Complainers.

After playing these at practice, the guys said it sounded like the kit was mic'd. so loud and clean, great drums.
Pearl 2002C
Guru supporter
Andy Nemesis
Old 03-12-2014, 04:17 PM

These kits look so awesome. I'm saving now to grab the red sparkle from musicians friend before they're out of them for good.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b80 View Post
These kits look so awesome. I'm saving now to grab the red sparkle from musicians friend before they're out of them for good.
They are probably rare but keep an eye on GC Used Gear. I got these for $769.00 out the door.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:43 PM

I've got an open boom stand in need of a cymbal. Trying to decide what do add next. What do you guys think?

Currently have:

13" hats
16" crash x2
18" crash
20" Ride
10" splash

My initial considerations are:

Large crash 20"
Crash Ride (Love the K Constantinople 19")
China 18"-20" Will need to listen to a few to determine what I like

I also have the Pearl fixed hi-hat adapter that I plan to move my 13" K/Zs to at some point. I will probably transition my main hats to a 15" Pair. Just don't have the money saved to do this yet.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I've got an open boom stand in need of a cymbal. Trying to decide what do add next. What do you guys think?

Currently have:

13" hats
16" crash x2
18" crash
20" Ride
10" splash

My initial considerations are:

Large crash 20"
Crash Ride (Love the K Constantinople 19")
China 18"-20" Will need to listen to a few to determine what I like

I also have the Pearl fixed hi-hat adapter that I plan to move my 13" K/Zs to at some point. I will probably transition my main hats to a 15" Pair. Just don't have the money saved to do this yet.
It all depends on your style. If I were you, I would definitely go for a China. My suggestion is a Wuhan China. For the price, you can't beat it. I'm looking to get a 14" or 16". I play pop-punk/post-hardcore in my band, so the smaller the cymbal, the trashier and the more it cuts through. If you don't know the genre, examples are, pop-punk: Green Day, blink-182, All Time Low; post-hardcore: A Day To Remember, Pierce the Veil, Bring Me The Horizon.

Back to the cymbal, go for the China! You have three crash, so you don't need another. You have a ride, and you can use your 18" as a crash ride, and you don't have a China. My suggestion for a placement is to move the crash on the far right over, and have the China lowered and placed in between the two crashes.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b80 View Post
I got those drums over summer. I got them at the Drum Center of Portsmouth in New Hampshire. The guys there are awesome, he gave me a free Ludwig drum key! The drums were pretty much new. They were bought from the store a few weeks earlier, and the guy thought that he would play the drums more, but since he had like 5 other kits, he needed the money. He played them only twice and brought them back! They were originally for like $1200, and I got them for $800! The worst part was that the guy forgot to give me the tom arm, and it was a three hour drive away! So DIY!

Overall, they are great drums. For the price, they are amazing. I'm very picky with my drums, I'm a big fan of virgin bass drums, I like the 1-up/2-down, I like the punch and the boomyness of drums. I also like the different sizes of the drums. The only problem with the Centennials for me is that they aren't available in acrylic.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've got an open boom stand in need of a cymbal. Trying to decide what do add next. What do you guys think?....

Big drums call for big cymbals - a 24" ride would work.

Then - 15 or 16" hats.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Big drums call for big cymbals - a 24" ride would work.

Then - 15 or 16" hats.
I think the 24" ride will be next on the list. Just to decide which one I want.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:48 PM

If anyone has more pictures of the silver and red sparkles, I'd love to see more. I have a choice between the two and can't figure out which looks better. Leaning towards the red. But silver looks pretty classy as well. Thanks all!