DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

Default Alan Gratzer

I was thinking about my first ever concert the other day. It was REO Speedwagon who played at the college I was attending in Indiana in the autumn of 1973. I was really impressed with Alan Gratzer. I followed his career since then. I did a search and was surprised that there were no threads concerning him.

My favorite albums by REO Speedwagon are REO TWO, Ridin' the Storm Out, You Can Tune a Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish, the Cowhide album, Nine Lives, and of course Hi Infidelity.

It's a shame that REO had to suffer the "Curse Of The Number One Album". There was definitely a backlash against the power ballads in Hi Infidelity. In reality REO Speedwagon was (and still is, although with different members) a great rock band. And Alan Gratzer was the driving force.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Alan Gratzer

Back in the 70's and very early 80's - I loved listening to him play. Still enjoy listening to some of the stuff he did from time to time in fact.

Two of my favorite albums by them were: T.W.O. and Live: You Get What You Play For.

I recall watching them on The Midnight Special.