DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-09-2008, 05:01 AM
Silver Member

Default Playing with Screwdrivers III.

...Hola dot comrades.

I had today off, so I decided to punish my children by taking them to my favorite drum shop. I was looking for a nice thin dark crash, but I could not find one that I liked. What I did find was a used DW 13x5" snare in a red sparkle laquer with black hardware. The little angel on my right shoulder told me that I did not need this drum, but I could not hear it as the collective voice of Drummerworld was telling me to take the thing home. (thanks guys)

Of course I could not justify buying this drum unless it was a part of another one of my evil plans. I have a 13x5.5" Craviotto in an ebony satin finish with chrome hardware, so I thought that I would do the old hardware mind meld.

This is how they turned out.

I think that both drums will be a lot happier now.

Barry
Old 02-09-2008, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Playing with Screwdrivers III.

Great success! Good idea you had there, both are much better in my opinion
Old 02-09-2008, 06:33 AM

they look nice man!! nice idea!!!!!
REMO
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20270
Old 02-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Gold Member

that looks killer!000000000
Old 02-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Pioneer Member

sweet! never listen to the angels! hehe..
Old 02-09-2008, 01:27 PM

Great snares! I love the red one.. it looks MUCH better with the chrome.

I've always wanted a Craviotto... I've heard so many good things about them.. But I think my next one will be a custom job just for me.. but after that... who knows.

Peace!
Old 02-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

...thanks guys.

I have had the Craviotto for about five years. I used to use it a lot, but since I got my white marine pearl kit, it has pretty much been sitting on my shelf. I tried to sell it locally, but could find no takers, unless I was willing to practically give it away. When I found the red sparkle, I would not have given it a second look, if not for the price, and the thought of doing the hardware swap. I like the way they both turned out, and I especially like the way they both sound. As one evil plan often leads to another, I am afraid that I will either have to sell them, or build a kit around each of them.

Once again, thanks for all of your replies.

Barry
Old 02-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Gold Member

Hey Barry,
Nice score, the drums both look much better with the hardware swap. Mission Accomplished!
p.s. If that Craviotto is still going to sit on the shelf, I would be interested in giving it some attention.
Greg

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 02-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

You are evil, Barry... playing god to these poor unsuspecting snare drums!

..but you're right . They do look happy- ier.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Pioneer Member

hahah very cool. Either way, they both look awesome. It took me a solid 10 seconds to realize what you had done.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

I totally agree, the switch is for the better for both drums. Oh, and about that crash cymbal... check out Paiste Traditionals thin crashes, they should do quite nicely. That is, if you still have the cash to pick one up.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, they both look much better. What a simple, no-cost mod - great idea.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
... The little angel on my right shoulder told me that I did not need this drum, but I could not hear it as the collective voice of Drummerworld was telling me to take the thing home. (thanks guys)
What is this "little angel" of which you speak? I only have a choir of economy-boosting, wallet-draining devils shouting in shoulder stereo. Sorry, Barry, for I can not relate. I never considered they could be drowning anything out. I can't walk into my music store without at least buying a bucket of moongel or something.

Oh, and what a great find on the snare. The hardware switch was genius. I love the black on black.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 02-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
What is this "little angel" of which you speak? I only have a choir of economy-boosting, wallet-draining devils shouting in shoulder stereo. Sorry, Barry, for I can not relate.
...Ten Past.

I checked out your kit and your story from the link on your post. No wonder you can't relate. That angel voice on my shoulder sounds surpisingly similar to the voice of She who must be obeyed. It looks like your dearly beloved sides with the minnions of master card. You have a very nice kit, and you are very lucky to have a Wife that appreciates your need to make loud loud noise. Whenever I make a drum purchase, I usually end up feeling a little guilty. Nice thing is that I always get over it.

To the rest of you all, thanks once again for the replies. The more that I smack these two snares, the more I like them.

Aydee.

Namaste my friend. I am not sure if I owe you an apology, but most of my Indian friends are from the Punjab, so Sat Sri Akall is the greeting that they have tought me. I just assumed that it was a pretty standard greeting.

Barry
Old 02-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Aydee.

Namaste my friend. I am not sure if I owe you an apology, but most of my Indian friends are from the Punjab, so Sat Sri Akall is the greeting that they have tought me. I just assumed that it was a pretty standard greeting.

Barry
Hola , Barry! No apologies necessary as long as were talking greetings ; )

You are right Namaste is generic Indian, and Sat sree Akall is specifically Punjabi. Most North Indians get it, so no sweat.

I'm half American, quarter North Indian, quarter Kashmiri ( way North Indian ). Throw in a couple of Newfie buddies, so all of it works..
Old 02-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

Great ! Look very good but what Mrs Baz think of it ? You still need the cymbals that you were looking for ! Ah Ah AH !!!

My Kit Latest Update
Old 02-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Great ! Look very good but what Mrs Baz think of it ? You still need the cymbals that you were looking for ! Ah Ah AH !!!
...She will be tres fache' (sp)

But not as mad as when the bass drum and rack tom show up.

I am going to have a lot of sucking up to do.

Barry
Old 02-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
...She will be tres fache' (sp)

But not as mad as when the bass drum and rack tom show up.

I am going to have a lot of sucking up to do.

Barry
Ah Ah Ah !

DW I presume ?

Pay her a nice trip shopping, some massage & spa and everything will be alright...

My Kit Latest Update
Old 02-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

they look great! I prefer what you did to them man, they look so much better!

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 02-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
...Ten Past.

I checked out your kit and your story from the link on your post. No wonder you can't relate. That angel voice on my shoulder sounds surpisingly similar to the voice of She who must be obeyed. It looks like your dearly beloved sides with the minnions of master card. You have a very nice kit, and you are very lucky to have a Wife that appreciates your need to make loud loud noise. Whenever I make a drum purchase, I usually end up feeling a little guilty. Nice thing is that I always get over it.

Barry
Thanks for the compliments. I find myself very lucky to have "a" drum much less a whole kit. I seriously thought I would be a widower before I had drums of my own. As much as I am lucky to have the drums, I am luckier to have a wife that sacrificed a great deal of hearing, comfort, etc for little ole me. Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, when I put a cymbal or stand or pedal or heads or anything on my gift lists, I am met with a crystal clear "what else could you possibly need" look. But with my powers of persuation (at least I can kid myself) and moreover my wife's incredible quality of selflessness, I have convinced her that no one has bought his last drum, or cymbal, or head, or....

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 02-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
Thanks for the compliments. I find myself very lucky to have "a" drum much less a whole kit. I seriously thought I would be a widower before I had drums of my own. As much as I am lucky to have the drums, I am luckier to have a wife that sacrificed a great deal of hearing, comfort, etc for little ole me. Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, when I put a cymbal or stand or pedal or heads or anything on my gift lists, I am met with a crystal clear "what else could you possibly need" look. But with my powers of persuation (at least I can kid myself) and moreover my wife's incredible quality of selflessness, I have convinced her that no one has bought his last drum, or cymbal, or head, or....
Ha ha, sounds like you appreciate your wife and that is good.

Women often think men don't like to shop, but we love to shop as much as they do. We just like to buy different things. I think wives get freaked out about how husbands think about a new dress or something they got and we get freaked out about how they might respond to a new instrument or power tool.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

...I have bought and sold so many drums, kits, cymbals, hardware that my wife can not keep track.

A lot of my purchases are parts of evil plans moreso than any real honest to golly drumming needs. I have the one kit (soon to morph into two) that I consider "my kit". The rest of my stuff will come and go.

I love to tinker with gear, and I have a hard time leaving things as is.When I bought my tiger ash kit, I was not thinking that I needed another kit, I was thinking that I needed a home for the brass hardware that I had swapped from a black oyster kit to my white marine pearl kit because I knew that when I eventually added to that kit, there might be no brass hardware to keep things together. To my eyes, the tiger ash kit looks way better with the brass than it did with the chrome.

Also, when I bought the tiger ash kit, I was able to weasle a really good price, a DW double tom stand, snare stand, and a wrecked double pedal, that I had the missing pieces for in one of my rat piles.

Same thought with the two snares. My first thought when I saw the red sparkle was how ugly the black hardware looked on it. After I saw the price, I thought how nice the black hardware would look on my black Craviotto, and how it may be more appealing if I decide to sell it. I did not count on both snares sounding so good, which may lead to another evil plan.

I do not have an unlimited drum budget, so for every thing that I buy, I eventually have to sell something. Being patient is the key, for as long as I can wait, somebody will buy the gear that I want to get rid of, at a price that allows me to break even at the very least. In the meantime, I have a lot of cool stuff that I can tinker with, and many more evil plans a foot.

Barry