DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 02-09-2008, 04:01 AM

Default Roland td12 or td20? help!

Hi guys and (gals). I'm thinking seriously about purchasing a higher end Roland td kit but have a few questions on the td12 vs the td20. I know that the td12 has smaller and less pads, less cymbals etc. but what do you get with the td20 that cost $2000 more than the td12? Is the module that much better on the td20? or is it in all around quality of sound? I'd like to have the td20 but if theres no need to spend the extra $$$, I will settle for the td12. Hope you guys can help me out. Thnx.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Roland td12 or td20? help!

the roland TD20 is a little over priced in that like you say it isn't much different in the sound quality but on the other hand the TD20 does have more sounds to play with and more overall playability and not to mention nicer and easier to play.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Gold Member

TD12 is great...plenty of kit and sound. I just added an addition cymbal and have been VERY happy. TD20 is much larger set up....not what you want for a tight stage or a small dorm room or anywhere that space is at a premium. Three toms is plenty and unless you are a total spazz, the smaller pads are not an issue. If both kits cost the same, I would still go with the 12....better suited for what I need.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:02 PM

FWIW - aside from the forthcoming expansion card for the TD-20 this year (unknown specs as of yet), the folks at vexpressions.com (http://www.vexpressionsltd.com) have figured out how to unlock some of the hidden features in the TD-12 (note that the TD-20 and TD-12 have the same core sound engine within) such as:

Mic Position (all drums and cymbals)
Beater Type (bass drum)
Sizzle Type (chain cymbal)
Level of Snare Buzz (toms)

You need to use MIDI cable connection from the computer and a software utility to unlock and control these TD-12 features.

Steve
Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 PM

(hiya sshu; how are ya? Long time no chat!)

here is a comparison chart on the two module's in question, from Roland:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_s...82&dsp=1&ln=en

this might help in narrowing down what you'd need.
the 20 has more effects, inputs, outputs, faders, and expansion capabilities.
they both actually have the same number of tones, you'll note, but the TD20 can get more permutations from said sounds with the deeper COSM capabilities (though what sshu mentions might close that gap a bit)
the 12 has more preset sequencer patterns than the 20.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

First let me say I have owned, TD-8 and TD-10 kits and I now have a TD-20 kit. I have been playing the Roland kits for years.

It just depends on what you are going to do with the kit. If simply playing and practicing is what you want it for then the TD-12 is great. You will find that you will play with the kits and tweak things for a while but once you get things the way you want then you will not change much unless you have a specific sound for a specific tune. So all the adjustments are cool but you really can get great sounds out of any of the Roland kits.

If you plan on getting serious about recording then the TD-20 is the only way to go.

It is all about outputs

The TD-12 has:

Master Output Jacks (L/MONO, R): 1/4 inch phone type
Direct Output Jacks (1, 2): 1/4 inch phone type

This means with the TD-12 if you re-assign outputs the most you can have is 4 separate outs and will have to mix on the brain for recording and you can not change or mix on the recorder once you record it beyond those for tracks.

The TD-20 has:

Master Output Jacks (L/MONO, R)

8 Direct Digital Output Jacks

Snare - Mono
Kick - Mono
Hi-Hat - Mono
Ride - Mono
Crashes - Stereo
Toms - Stereo

So you now can record separate tracks and mix as you need to after recording. This give you the ability to great great quality recordings and mixes with complete control.

I hope this helps
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 02-10-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xush View Post
(hiya sshu; how are ya? Long time no chat!)

here is a comparison chart on the two module's in question, from Roland:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_s...82&dsp=1&ln=en

this might help in narrowing down what you'd need.
the 20 has more effects, inputs, outputs, faders, and expansion capabilities.
they both actually have the same number of tones, you'll note, but the TD20 can get more permutations from said sounds with the deeper COSM capabilities (though what sshu mentions might close that gap a bit)
the 12 has more preset sequencer patterns than the 20.
xush, good to cross paths in cyberspace man!

I agree with what xush and what rmandelbaum have said. Generally a big difference comes down to the number of separate audio outputs coming from the module and what you want to do with recording, gigging, etc. I am typically the hobbyist so I've taken the TD-7, TD-8, and TD-12 paths as opposed to the TD-10 and TD-20 paths which have more outputs (among other things to varying levels).

All said, if you want to go down the recording path even after having purchased a cheaper module, I have found that the Roland gear maintains its value pretty well over time (I used my TD-7 module for like 5+ years and sold it later for like $50 less than what I got it. Probably can sell my TD-8 for like $150 less than I got it for after 5+ years of use). If you find you grow out of a module, you can sell it and replace it with a new one and still maintain the other gear. Also, there are some people that trigger external software like Drumkit from Hell Superior from their module (via MIDI) and record that way as opposed to using the internal sounds of the module and the module's audio outs.

Steve
Old 02-10-2008, 04:08 PM

thnx for everyones input. looks like all i'll really need is what the td12 has to offer. I'll probably be adding another pad and cymbal to the set-up. I definately wont be doing any professional recording/mixing with the kit so why pay the extra $$$. thnx again guys
Old 02-16-2008, 06:00 PM

You might want to wait another six weeks and seriously check out the new TD-9. It has some cool features that the TD-12 doesn't and is a lot more affordable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqgZx_eKU2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC4SDqH55as
Old 02-21-2008, 05:09 PM

Anyone know how much the TD-9 module itself is going to be, and when it comes out?
thanks
Old 02-22-2008, 02:21 AM
Gold Member

The Direct outs are the main difference, which makes a huge difference in a studio.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:21 AM

Hi, I'm Sam - This is my first post although I have been lurking here for some time.

I use my TD-12 for recording alot of the time. I find it fine as writing midi drums on cubase will never be as good as the TD-12.

You said about the direct out. I have yet to record with that I have just been using the master out as it has volume control, the sounds dont get distorted once I have turned them down on the module.

Would the direct out or the MIDI interface be the best to record with my TD-12, putting in the extra effects you get with the MIDI interface, which I am also yet to try out :)

If i'm honest I want some advice for how to use the direct out and midi outs properly :) might have to make my own thread once i have used the forum a while.