DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-24-2005, 01:36 AM
OZjazzer

Default Alex Riel here!

We don't get a zillion great jazz drummers touring Australia but seeing and hearing Alex Riel as part of the Niels lan Doky trio backing the sensational Lisa Nilsson was a great privelage. This whole package was so much better than the very dissapointing (and somewhat indulgent) Dianna Krall tour earlier this year, and swung much much harder (wow was she ever missing a Hamilton or Erskine in the drum chair?)
With the Doky/Nilsson group it was great to hear see musos actually enjoying playing. Alex sounded fantastic on a borrowed kit with his own cymbals and snare. His excitement level was the thing that seems to be missing with a lot of the earnest young men coming out of the jazz courses these days. Fabulous! (There are 2 videos of him here).
Cymbals? I know he plays Paiste, but what are they, particularly the rides? The Paiste site lists him as an endorser but doesn't show his set-up. Does anyone know? His cymbal sound was marvelous. If you get the chance to hear this great player, don't hesitate.

Alex Riel page on DrummerWorld

Last edited by DogBreath; 10-24-2005 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Edited to add link to DrummerWorld
Old 11-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Default Re: Alex Riel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZjazzer
We don't get a zillion great jazz drummers touring Australia but seeing and hearing Alex Riel as part of the Niels lan Doky trio backing the sensational Lisa Nilsson was a great privelage. This whole package was so much better than the very dissapointing (and somewhat indulgent) Dianna Krall tour earlier this year, and swung much much harder (wow was she ever missing a Hamilton or Erskine in the drum chair?)
With the Doky/Nilsson group it was great to hear see musos actually enjoying playing. Alex sounded fantastic on a borrowed kit with his own cymbals and snare. His excitement level was the thing that seems to be missing with a lot of the earnest young men coming out of the jazz courses these days. Fabulous! (There are 2 videos of him here).
Cymbals? I know he plays Paiste, but what are they, particularly the rides? The Paiste site lists him as an endorser but doesn't show his set-up. Does anyone know? His cymbal sound was marvelous. If you get the chance to hear this great player, don't hesitate.

Alex Riel page on DrummerWorld
Hi OZjazzer

First of all thank you very much for your kind words. I'm very flattered!
I'm glad you appreciate Lisa Nilsson as well, cos in my book she's one of the best singers around. It's a great pleasure to accompany such a unique talent.

AND it was a wonderful experience to visit Australia too! My first time there, hope it's not the last. Loved the Aussies and their sense of humour!!!

Now, you ask what kind of cymbals I played at that gig:
20" flat ride Paiste Formula 602 with rivets
22" Paiste prototype (not in production)
20" Chinese crash ride
14" hi-hat Paiste Dimension Light

(btw it wasn't my snare)
I'm usually playing a Gretch kit ..

Best wishes
Alex (Riel)

........... Hello Bernhard!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Pioneer Member

Here I was going to try and answer the questions about Alex and I scroll down and see that Alex did!!! Thanks Alex!

I'd also chime in and say that I really like your stuff Alex, particularly your solo cds, 'DSB Kino', 'Rielatin', 'UnRiel' and the Trio recording 'Emergence'. I first heard your playing on the Steeplechase Dexter Gordon recordings ( Cheese Cake, King Neptune,
Billie's Bounce, Love For Sale, It's You Or No One ) and have been hooked ever since.

I also second the motion that those of you who have not heard Alex, GO LISTEN. Always swinging, always musical and playing that is full of wit and intelligence. Not something that you find that much today, to my ears. Every time I hear something Alex has done, I too hear an excitement and joy that we should all try to capture!
Alex also has a really refined and musical way of playing with a bassist, in particular (at least my favourite pairings) Jesper Lundegaard, Mads Vinding and the late NHOP.

Alex's website: www.alexriel.dk

Alex, I have some other questions for you, if I can email or private message you, let me know.

Thanks,
Gregg
Old 11-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Hi Alex

So great to hear from you, my friend - what a pleasure!!!

To all Forum Members:

Alex is the great European Jazz Drummer - from Danemark. Played with Bill Evans, Ben Webster, Eddie Gomez and all the other Greats. I had the chance to meet him and his lovely wife Ane here in Switzerland. He even came down into my drum-room in my house - after dinner of course - tried out some drums and suddenly felt in love with one of my cymbals that I received from Michael Paiste himself - a flatride.

I had the idea, that this cymbal is in better hands with him and so he accepted my present. After some time I see a video with Alex - and he really played my cymbal on it.... the video is here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/alexrielsolo.html

Again Alex and Ane, take care and hopefully see you very soon again in Switzerland...

Bernhard
Old 11-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Senior Consultant

Mr. Riel- You sound fantastic... You should come and do a Canadian tour! We'd love to have you- you're a remarkable jazz drummer.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Hello Gregg,
Thank you to you too for the compliments. It's always so nice to hear when people outside this tiny spot called Denmark are aware of your work. Makes me very proud, thanks! Good to see that my records made it all the way to Canada!
As for Dexter I can only say it was an honour to work with this man. He was the one who taught me how to play a ballad (he would actually call me up in the middle of the night to teach me!!!)

The three bass players you mention are my absolute favorites too. And of course I love playing with Eddie Gomez. And Bo Stief (another Dane). I'll miss NHOP for sure!

Feel free to email or pm me (but be patient cos it may be a few days before I'm online again)

Best wishes
Alex

Hey Mr. Duke
Great to hear from you too. I would LOVE to come to Canada again. Maybe with my new trio ... we'll see! Thanks.

Best wishes
Alex

Last edited by Alex Riel; 11-20-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
Hi Alex

So great to hear from you, my friend - what a pleasure!!!

To all Forum Members:

Alex is the great European Jazz Drummer - from Danemark. Played with Bill Evans, Ben Webster, Eddie Gomez and all the other Greats. I had the chance to meet him and his lovely wife Ane here in Switzerland. He even came down into my drum-room in my house - after dinner of course - tried out some drums and suddenly felt in love with one of my cymbals that I received from Michael Paiste himself - a flatride.

I had the idea, that this cymbal is in better hands with him and so he accepted my present. After some time I see a video with Alex - and he really played my cymbal on it.... the video is here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/alexrielsolo.html

Again Alex and Ane, take care and hopefully see you very soon again in Switzerland...

Bernhard
Aw, thanks Bernhard. It's a pleasure to be here. What a friendly bunch of people you surround yourself with in here. I might get addicted ...

Ane and I often talk about our visit at your place which was soooo nice. We are probably the only married couple in the world who included a visit to the Paiste factory and the founder of Drummerworld .... in our honeymoon!!!! (priorities, right)

For all of you out there who haven't met Bernhard let me tell you he is a GREAT guy with the most lovable and wonderful family ... and well, a BEAUTIFUL flat ride! I can never thank you enough for that, Bernhard. I love it!
Oh, and one more thing about this guy: He's a great drummer!!!!!

All my best to you and the family
Alex (and from Ane too)
Old 11-20-2005, 10:26 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

I just watched the video Bernhard linked to and I must say I am INCREDIBLY envious. Wow, what a truly great drummer you are, you're inspiring me to pick up sticks. The finesse, the skill that you possess is truly awesome. Like Peter Erskine, but with perhaps even more swing.

Fantastic.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Ah it's fantastic how you're here! I always loved your style and appraoch to jazz drumming ... definitely one that I would love to have myself haha

keep up the fantastic work!
Old 11-20-2005, 11:00 PM

I love how you play jazz! A bunch of drummers in Jazz Band I try to learn what you do.

My Kit
Old 11-21-2005, 06:12 AM
Administrator Emeritus

A great story about the flat ride. If I ever come over to anyone's house for dinner, please feel free to give me any of your drums or cymbals. I will accept them with great humility.

That was a fantastic solo, too. Subtle stick work and beautiful sound from the drums.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Senior Administrator

i agree. there is a beautiful moment when the time stalls - almost like breathing in - sort of one third into the solo before launching into the swing again. lovely to have you here Mr Riel.

and welcome to any other master drummers who are thinking about joining.
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 12-02-2005, 12:03 AM

Hey Alex.
I have seen you in Danish Drum Legends, and that was bretty cool stof you are playing.
Some day i will go to one of you concert.
I live i Vejle, and i just find out that you playd in vejle for just 2 mounths ago :(.
But some day I'll se a concert.
Do you know www.trommeslagern.dk ?? Kom ind og kig hvis du har lyst.
-Kent Poulsen
Old 01-13-2006, 02:14 PM

I rate Alex Riel as a musician,. I have been playing a few of his CD's over the last few days, he is a drummer that can really take care of business.

I would recommend his albums, "What Happened" and "Celebration."

If you read this Alex, How many rivets do you use in your Flat Ride.?

Chris.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:55 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Hi guys,
I just read the latest replies to this thread. Your very kind comments on my drumming make me very proud. Thanks!!!

If anyone with the name Dogbreath ever shows up at my doorstep I'll make sure to serve him a hot meal (and a tooth brush) and provide him with cymbals, drums etc. No problem!

Kent, yes I know of "Trommeslageren.dk" but haven't checked it out for some time. I'll take a look at it again. Too bad you missed the concert in Vejle. See you some other time over there.

Chris ...good to see you here! ...and thank you for recommending those cd's. I'm glad you like them. As for my flat ride (formula 602 Paiste, 20") there are 4 rivets in it (placed 4 cm from the edge).

Best wishes
Alex
Old 01-19-2006, 10:59 AM

Hi Alex

I love your work.... Rock and jazz i have heard alot of your danis records with "Sebastian" he is a personal freind and i enjoy the old sound that you had aswel the sound that you have today...

Great work on the Danish Drum Legend DVD...

Keep it up...

Nicolaj Sejer..
KBH. Denmark.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Alex Riel here!

Alex,
Hi - I wanted to ask you a few questions:

1)what recordings were particularly influential on you as young drummer?

2)What are you listeing to these days?

3)regarding the video clips on drummerworld...
a)what is that snare it? It sounds fantastic.
b)What are those cymbals....especially the flatride with multiple types of lathing?

thanks
Ren
Old 04-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejer
Hi Alex

I love your work.... Rock and jazz i have heard alot of your danis records with "Sebastian" he is a personal freind and i enjoy the old sound that you had aswel the sound that you have today...

Great work on the Danish Drum Legend DVD...

Keep it up...

Nicolaj Sejer..
KBH. Denmark.
Hey Nicolaj

Thanks!!
Please say hello to Sebastian from me next time you see him ...

Best wishes
Alex
Old 04-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato
Alex,
Hi - I wanted to ask you a few questions:

1)what recordings were particularly influential on you as young drummer?

2)What are you listeing to these days?

3)regarding the video clips on drummerworld...
a)what is that snare it? It sounds fantastic.
b)What are those cymbals....especially the flatride with multiple types of lathing?

thanks
Ren
Hi Renato,
Thank you for your interest. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can ...

1)
I think these recordings would be the ones that have influenced me the most:
- "When The Saints Go Marching In" with the Dutch Swing College Band
- "Moppin' & Boppin'", "Ain't Misbehaving", Blue Turning Grey Over You" etc with Fats Waller / Zutty Singleton on drums.
- "Drum Face" with Zutty Singleton
- "Sing Sing Sing" weith Benny Goodman / Krupa on drums.
- various recordings with Armstrong and Big Sid Catlett on drums.
- "Basin St. Blues" with Armstrong / Kenny John on drums.
- "Africa Brass Sessions" with John Coltrane / Elvin on drums.
- "Impressions" with Cotrane / Elvin
- various Miles Davis with Tony Williams on drums.
- "Milestones" with Miles Davis / Philly Joe Jones on drums. Especially the trio version of the tune "Billy Boy"!!

2)
I still love every bit of the above mentioned!!! Don't get to listen to it that much though. Most of the music I would listen to today is music I "have" to listen to to prepare for gigs/recording sessions etc. Other than that I think I listen mostly to the Phil Collins/Genesis stuff my missus play for me - which I like too! - or whatever jazz record she has on (Ben Webster, Dexter Gordon, Basie etc). I would occasionally put on a classical record too. Like the opera "Boris Godonoff" by Mussorgski.
However, nothing beats listening to the birds in the garden these days!

3)
It's a Gretsch snare 6½ x 14" (model 4153, serial no. 127938). Wood/mahogany.

4)
The cymbals I play these days (and on the video clips) are:
20" flat ride Paiste Formula 602 with rivets
22" Paiste prototype (not in production)
20" Chinese crash ride
14" hi-hat Paiste Dimension Light
and of course the beautiful flatride that I got from Bernhard ... it's mentioned somewhere else in this thread.

Best wishes
Alex

-
Old 04-12-2006, 09:17 AM
OZjazzer

Hi Alex. I was very interested in your list of favourites especially Red Garland's 'Billy Boy' on the Davis album. I adore that track but am old enough to recall when it first came out a critic said something along the lines of 'great album pity about including the cocktail-jazz piano track'. Here we are some 40 years on and people are still talking about it (Bob James recently did a 'cover' of it on his wonderful trio album). Garland was no doubt inspired by by Ahmad Jamal's great version with another of my heroes Vernell Fournier. Interesting that the Philly Joe's much imitated cross stick, one in the bar 'click' was evidently copied from Fournier who was in turn trying to imitate the percussive accent guitarist Ray Crawford produced in the original drummerless Jamal trio.

Have been searching for anything by Lisa Nilson that is more like the jazz material she performed with you in Australia, she absolutley knocked me out. I have never been so impressed with a female singer in over 50 years of being a jazz fan. Just magnificent. I even like her popular recordings. Fabulous.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:07 AM

hey Alex

quick question

what was the defining factor which made you become a drummer?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Quote:
Hi Alex. I was very interested in your list of favourites especially Red Garland's 'Billy Boy' on the Davis album. I adore that track but am old enough to recall when it first came out a critic said something along the lines of 'great album pity about including the cocktail-jazz piano track'. Here we are some 40 years on and people are still talking about it (Bob James recently did a 'cover' of it on his wonderful trio album). Garland was no doubt inspired by by Ahmad Jamal's great version with another of my heroes Vernell Fournier. Interesting that the Philly Joe's much imitated cross stick, one in the bar 'click' was evidently copied from Fournier who was in turn trying to imitate the percussive accent guitarist Ray Crawford produced in the original drummerless Jamal trio.

Have been searching for anything by Lisa Nilson that is more like the jazz material she performed with you in Australia, she absolutley knocked me out. I have never been so impressed with a female singer in over 50 years of being a jazz fan. Just magnificent. I even like her popular recordings. Fabulous.
Hey OZjazzer!
Very interesting to read about Vernell Vournier and Ahmad Jamal etc. I had no idea Philly Joe had it from there! To be honest it's been a long time since I listened to anything by Jamal .. even though I do like him a lot.

Oh yes, I could imagine critics saying that about "Billy Boy" back then. But - in my opinion anyway - it's sometimes the most banal and naive things that turn out most beautiful, if played by the right people with the right heart that is. Just take "Danny Boy" with Ben Webster ... or "Smile" ...

You have NO idea how happy I am to hear you praise Lisa Nilsson! She's indeed uniqie. You should DEFINATELY get hold of the DVD called "Between A Smile And A Tear". It's a documentary film about the legendary jazzhouse Montmartre in Copenhagen; but most of all it's about what happens when musicians get together and interact - on stage and backstage! In this case the musicians are: Lisa Nillson, Johnny Griffin, Albert "Tootie" Heath, Toots Thielemanns, Niels Lan Doky, Mads Vinding and Didier Lockwood. It's a BRILLIANT film - very funny too! I can highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in music!!!! You'll love it!
I believe the soundtrack from the film is included when you buy the DVD.

(let me know if you have problems finding it .. it should be available online though)

Best wishes
Alex
Old 04-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drum Monkey
hey Alex

quick question

what was the defining factor which made you become a drummer?
Hey Drum Monkey!
Well, my father was playing all these old jazz records (with Fats Waller etc). So I would listen to them all the time at home. Besides, my dad would always "drum" along with this hands ... and he could really make it swing. Very Gene Krupa like.
He wasn't a musician though, he was a ladies' hairdresser!!! But I must have gotten the talent and jazz interest from him. I guess that's why he supported me in any way he could AFTER I had served my apprenticeship as a ladies' hairdresser as well (you did what your parents told you back then!).
You see, before he'd let me drum full time he wanted me to proove to him that I was a better drummer than hairdresser! And trust me, I was!!!!!

Best wishes
Alex

PS. I just remembered that the British drummer Joe Daniels was a great inspiration for me too back in the 50s.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Pioneer Member

I have a question, don't know if you can answer it, Alex. What's with those 2004 Steeplechase releases? Are they re-releases or unheard stuff? Man, don't tell me (or my wallet) I'm missing some of your playing! I checked them with all my Steeplechase stuff and although they have the same material, I don't know if it's previously released or alternate versions/dates.

Also wanted to mention I landed a copy of your trio CD and as usual, it was tasteful, warm and wise. Your cymbals, also as always sound beautiful. I take it you're using basically the same set up as you've outlined in this thread? I hear that flat, for sure. I really especially liked the originals (and the cover photo!)

Gregg
Old 06-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgregg
I have a question, don't know if you can answer it, Alex. What's with those 2004 Steeplechase releases? Are they re-releases or unheard stuff? Man, don't tell me (or my wallet) I'm missing some of your playing! I checked them with all my Steeplechase stuff and although they have the same material, I don't know if it's previously released or alternate versions/dates.

Also wanted to mention I landed a copy of your trio CD and as usual, it was tasteful, warm and wise. Your cymbals, also as always sound beautiful. I take it you're using basically the same set up as you've outlined in this thread? I hear that flat, for sure. I really especially liked the originals (and the cover photo!)

Gregg
Hey Gregg,
Sorry about the late response.

About the SteepleChase 2004 recordings: I'm pretty sure that the Dexter Gordon releases called "Heartaches", "Misty" and "Loose Walk" are all unheard stuff. And I think that maybe there's one or more with Kenny Dorham as well ...
To be absolutely sure you may have to ask SteepleChase though.

Thank you for your kind words on the trio cd - and the photo!!! Great to hear that you like it. Did you hear the ghost track?
And you're right about the cymbals ... they are the same ones as I've mentioned before. Just got a new (old!) Paiste 602 20" flat ride by the way. Excellent!!

What else can I tell you .... just got sent a copy of a new cd I did with the fabulous Phil Woods and a Danish alto sax player called Benjamin Koppel. Good stuff! It's called "Pass The Bebob" (released on my record company Cowbell Music).
Also, Copenhagen Jazzfestival is coming up next month and I'm looking forward to playing with PAT METHENY in the Tivoli Gardens. I'll also have the pleasure to play with the wonderful singer Lisa Nilsson (whom OZjazzer has mentioned in this thread), a great fusion group called "Santa Cruz", my own trio ... and a bunch of other nice people!

Best wishes
Alex

PS: my web site should be updated soon.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:04 AM
Pioneer Member

Alex,
Thanks for the reply!
I'll check at Steeplechase to see about the Dorham and Dex stuff, but if they're unreleased recordings, I NEED to buy them!

So the ghost track on the CD, 'Tears in Heaven', right? Who played guitar on it? Interesting choice to include it, needless to say I was surprised. Glad to hear about the 602-looking forward to hear it on some recordings! That reminds me, how do you feel about Paiste's new Dark Energy cymbals?

Is there a specific distributor for Cowbell Music, online or otherwise?

Thanks for giving the update on the Riel activities! The Woods/Koppel CD sounds very cool, where can I buy it?
Wish I was in Copenhagen to check out all the stuff you're doing (especially Lisa on both yours and OZJazzer's high reccomendations-I'm going to try and pick up the DVD you mentioned). Too bad you aren't in Canada this festival season, how about next year? You guys can all stay at my house=)

Thanks as always Alex,
Gregg
Old 06-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Quote:

So the ghost track on the CD, 'Tears in Heaven', right? Who played guitar on it? Interesting choice to include it, needless to say I was surprised.
I always liked that tune. And so a few days after we'd finished the cd-recording I asked the guys if we could record that one as well .. and just see what we could make out of it. Turned out that the pianist had just broken his arm (!!!) so he obviously couldn't play. So Jesper Lundgaard (the bass player) and I sat down just the two of us to record it as a duo. Then Jesper suddenly decided to pick up his guitar and play that part as well! Pretty amazing I think, since the guy hasn't played guitar in public for 30 years and nobody knows he can!!! Even the most hardcore Danish jazz experts haven't been able to guess he's in fact the guitarist on that track.
It obviously turned out to be less "jazzier" than the rest of the tracks .. so we decided to include it as a ghost track, just for fun.

Quote:
That reminds me, how do you feel about Paiste's new Dark Energy cymbals?
To be honest I haven't even tried them out? Are they good?

Quote:
Is there a specific distributor for Cowbell Music, online or otherwise?
It's a fairly new Danish record company, and I like them a lot. I don't even think their website has an English version yet but here it is anyway: http://www.cowbellmusic.dk Very nice and helpful people there, so don't hesitate to email them if you have any questions. They'll be releasing the Phil Woods CD I mentioned in a few days I think. If you are into 80s fusion let me recommend the "Santa Cruz" recording .. great bunch of musicians on that one!

Quote:
Wish I was in Copenhagen to check out all the stuff you're doing (especially Lisa on both yours and OZJazzer's high reccomendations-I'm going to try and pick up the DVD you mentioned).
Yeah, Copenhagen Jazz Festival is a great festival.
Let me know what you guys think of the "Between A Smile And A Tear" DVD if you buy it. And also, let me know if you have trouble finding it ... maybe I can help.

Quote:
Too bad you aren't in Canada this festival season, how about next year? You guys can all stay at my house=)
I'd LOVE to go to Canada. It's been a looong time since I was there with a prog-rockish band called "Savage Rose". Beautiful country. No plans yet of going ... but maybe some day in some constellation. Feel free to recommend me over there!!

Quote:
Thanks as always Alex,
Gregg
Back at ya'

Best wishes
Alex
Old 06-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Pioneer Member

Alex,
Jesper played on it?! Wow, I know a fair bit about you Danes too, but I NEVER knew he played! It was a really nice and quiet take of a pretty tune for sure. You don;t have a duo version of it, do you? I'd love to hear that as well!

The Paiste Dark Energies are good, I think. I don't have any (I only have Traditionals) but I've played a few. So they're a cross between the Signature series and the Traditionals, so they say. They're dark and dirty sounding with a bit of trashiness, at least the ones I tried were (I only tried rides-20" ones). The 'Mark I's are lighter and darker and I prefer those. Still, you guys with all those old 602's and Sound Creation's have it made (by the way, send any old cymbals you don't want this way!=)

I checked out the Cowbell Music site, but aside from the graphics, I couldn't read it...I DID manage to see some profiles on you guys and some discographies, looks like a comprehensive label (from what I can tell which admittedly, isn't much!)

As soon as I can round up some money, I'm going to start hunting for the DVD for sure. I'll let you know if I have trouble finding it!

As far as coming to Canada, I can forward you some dates for festival submissions if you want, or to your booking agent or whomever.(they'd need to be next year though- this years are obviously booked)

Let me know and thanks again!
G
Old 06-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Pioneer Member

Alex playing with Bill Evans in 1966.

Scroll down the page and dig those brushes!
G
Old 06-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Exquisite... just exquisite. Such refined and tasteful playing. Great sound. Mr. Riel, I would give various parts of my body to be half the drummer you are.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Quote:
Alex,
Jesper played on it?! Wow, I know a fair bit about you Danes too, but I NEVER knew he played! It was a really nice and quiet take of a pretty tune for sure. You don;t have a duo version of it, do you? I'd love to hear that as well!
You know, techically it IS a duo version - with only the two of us playing! But I guess you mean with bass and drums only? Or guitar and drums? Well, I'm afraid the version you've heard is all I've got.

Quote:
The Paiste Dark Energies are good, I think. I don't have any (I only have Traditionals) but I've played a few. So they're a cross between the Signature series and the Traditionals, so they say. They're dark and dirty sounding with a bit of trashiness, at least the ones I tried were (I only tried rides-20" ones). The 'Mark I's are lighter and darker and I prefer those.
Thanks for that description. I'll make sure to try them out sometime ...

Quote:
Still, you guys with all those old 602's and Sound Creation's have it made (by the way, send any old cymbals you don't want this way!=)
Sure! How many would you like?
Naaa ... can't give away my (and Bernhard's!) babies ... too precioussssssssssss

Quote:
I checked out the Cowbell Music site, but aside from the graphics, I couldn't read it...I DID manage to see some profiles on you guys and some discographies, looks like a comprehensive label (from what I can tell which admittedly, isn't much!)
I'll tell them that they should get the site done in an English version as well. Yeah, it's a great little label .. growing bigger for every week.
As for the Canadian festivals - I've just pm'ed you about that!

Hey and thanks for posting that Bill Evans clip with me. So fun to watch again (However, the link you posted doesn't work anymore as there's another clip on that Bill Evans Site now ... the clip with me is still on YouTube though).

Best wishes
Alex

Last edited by Alex Riel; 06-20-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat
Exquisite... just exquisite. Such refined and tasteful playing. Great sound. Mr. Riel, I would give various parts of my body to be half the drummer you are.
Thank you so much for those kind words, mr. Beat!
Don't give away your body parts though ...

Best wishes
Alex
Old 06-20-2006, 03:01 PM

You have played with a huge array of artists! i would love to play with steve swallow, john abercrombie, or nat adderly that is awesome.
Remo Heads
Email: hotsauce3n@aim.com

MY DRUMS
Old 06-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce3n
You have played with a huge array of artists! i would love to play with steve swallow, john abercrombie, or nat adderly that is awesome.
Hi there Hotsauce!
Yeah, it's been FUN ... and fortunately it still is!!!!

Keep it up and then who knows, maybe one day YOU will be the one playing with those guys you mention! (except there may be a minor problem with Nat ...)

Best wishes
Alex
Old 06-29-2006, 03:52 AM
OZjazzer

[quote=Alex RielLet me know what you guys think of the "Between A Smile And A Tear" DVD if you buy it. And also, let me know if you have trouble finding it ... maybe I can help.
Best wishes
Alex[/QUOTE]

Great to see you still chatting with us Alex. I guess Gregg's Danish is about as good as mine (=) which means I too am having no luck finding the DVD 'Between a Smile and a Tear' or any CD's of Lisa singing in a more jazz-like setting (I do however have a crush on the track 'Min Man' from the album 'Små Rum' which has many nice tracks but of course I have no idea what she is singing about).
Old 06-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Quote:
Great to see you still chatting with us Alex. I guess Gregg's Danish is about as good as mine (=) which means I too am having no luck finding the DVD 'Between a Smile and a Tear' or any CD's of Lisa singing in a more jazz-like setting (I do however have a crush on the track 'Min Man' from the album 'Små Rum' which has many nice tracks but of course I have no idea what she is singing about).
Hey OZjazzer and Jazzgregg - and anyone else who could be interested.

I just did a little research myself and I think you may be able to order (in English) the DVD from one of these online stores:

www.saxo.com/item/1329352

http://english.megastore.se/template...itemid=1481636

There doesn't seem to be an English description of the film on those sites though BUT I found an article on AllAboutJazz where you can see what it's all about - and if it's something for you - www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=4175
You already know that I, and everybody I know who has seen it, think that it's an excellent documentary - very funny, touching and charming whether you are into jazz or not. The CD seems to be included when you buy the DVD.

Sooooooo with a bit of luck you should be able to order it. Let me know how it goes!

In fact I'll be seeing Lisa Nilsson, Niels Lan Doky and Didier Lockwood tomorrow and the next 3 days since we are doing a concert at the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen this weekend - with the Tivoli Symphony Orchestra. That should be fun! (Next week I'll be rehearsing/playing with Pat Metheny ... that should be fun too!!!!!!!)

I agree with you that Lisa's work in the pop world is excellent as well (although I'm not familiar with all of it). Oh and I should help you out with this OZjazzer: "Min Man" means "My Man" and "Små Rum" means "Little Rooms"!!
Reminds me that there's a track on the CD/DVD called "Säg det igen" (meaning "Say it again") which is a ballad that I'm sure will blow you away even though it's in Swedish!!!! It's so unbelievably beautiful sung by Lisa. Same goes for another ballad she sings on a Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen cd called "Those Who Were" .. it's the title track in fact. A wonderful version of a heartbreakingly beautiful tune in my opinion!

Guess I'm an old romantic eh!?

Anyway, good luck with the project. If it still doesn't work out for you feel free to pm me your addresses and I'll could perhaps find it for you over here and send it to you.

Thanks for your interests, guys!

Best wishes
Alex
Old 07-02-2006, 04:07 AM
OZjazzer

A quick thank you Alex for the DVD information. The 'english megastore' site seems to do the job best. I will also see if the other DVD you mentioned is also available and start saving up my euros to get both. I have been lucky and found the ballad you mentioned, "Those Who Were" but nothing else from the whole CD yet. I agree completely - it's really beautiful, but then I'm the same vintage as you and a very much a romantic too. Thank you the translations as well. Hope all the concerts go well.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Pioneer Member

Yep, me too, time to start saving up! (Of course, I couldn't go to a CD/DVD site without doing some other searching and now my list got bigger!)
Thanks again Alex, I speak for OZ when I say we're both looking forward to it!
G
Old 07-08-2006, 10:41 PM

Hey Alex.

I'm from Denmark weee :) I just wont to say that you play on the drums is so fantastic.
You know how to play with feeling, and how to get the best sound out of the drums.

Are you soon gonna play live with NLD (Niels Lan Doky again? I would love
to see you live.

Keep up the nice drumming ;-)

Best Regards
Simon Duun
SimonsWeb.dk
Old 07-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

OZjazzer, Gregg ... looking forward to your reviews. I really hope you'll enjoy the film as much as I did (especially now that I have talked you into spending your savings on it!!!)

I had the pleasure to play with Lisa last week ... backed by a jazz group (pianist Niels Lan Doky, bassist Pierre Boussaget, violinist Didier Lockwood and myself) and a symphony orchestra. She did some wonderful versions of various standards, her own stuff, songs from the film etc. Really great!!

All the best
Alex