DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-08-2008, 06:16 PM
nhzoso

Default Sonor 400 hi hat stand trouble

Hey guys,

This may be a technique problem as well as hardware.

The threaded rod that moves the top hat up and down keeps coming unscrewed somehow and then I cannot open my hats.

I unscrew the top hat and the rod falls inside the stand. I take it apart and the threads are not stripped or anything. It seems to be a good 15 turns or so to thread it back in so how does this keep coming undone and what can I do to prevent it. Is Loctitie a good option?

I notice I keep a lot of pressure on my left foot when keep the hats closed, especially when I try to do quick doubles with my rf on the BD I notice I am really putting alot of weight on my left foot and stomping the hell out of it. Any tips for this or is it just a case of practice slowly with light pressure on the left foot : )

I am not sure what the black plastic screw at the bottom is for either, I screw it up and down but nothing noticeable changes. I will try to post a pic or 2 but this camera and computer are new so it may not work.

Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sonor 400 hi hat stand trouble

It's common for the hihat pull rod to come loose. I cut a narrow channel into the end of mine and pressed a thin strip of nylon into it, the same principle behind www.tightscrew.com.

A simpler approach is to find some of that stuff that locks threads together. It's like the opposite of oil. You spray it on and the parts hold together better.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:30 PM
nhzoso

Cool, guess loctitie is the same thing I will try that.

Any idea what the black screw above the red scarf does?
Old 02-08-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Cool, guess loctitie is the same thing I will try that.

Any idea what the black screw above the red scarf does?
That black plastic knob above the red scarf adjusts the tension in the high hat pull spring. Screw it up to increase the spring tension, stiffens up the downward push on the pedal. Do the oppostie to decrease tension and downward push on pedal.

And watch Loctite, as some of the stuff once set is really hard to break "red", "blue" is a bit more forgiving. I suggest you go pick up some plumbers friction tape "teflon tape" from your local hardware store and try that first.Its for helping to form a watertight seal, but i've used it before to help the pull rod on my Ludwig HH stand to stop unthreading, and it worked. Also, after I installed the pull rod I'd slip on the HH clutch, lower it down till it touched the cymbal cup, snugged it up and gave a gentle turn to make sure the HH pul rod was snug, then proceed to install the cymbals.. Always worked.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Try a small piece of plumbers Teflon Tape. It holds but you can still get it apart.