DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Inexpensive E-kit!

Hey all,... ...if this should be in OTHER GEAR, I apologize and it can be moved if you wish....

I'm just looking for an e-kit so I can practice, nothing extravagent, but just something that I can practice with for chops and such. I live in a condo, so.....remember, I JUST want this for brushing up, going over tunes, etc,....

I was thinking maybe the DTXplorer, and maybe add a cymbal pad?

Thoughts any and all!

THANKS DW!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 PM
hawk9290's Avatar
hawk9290 hawk9290 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ/Columbus, OH/Punta Gorda, Fl
Posts: 1,054
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

well if you are 100% sure you'll only be using it to brush up on- and you're not particularly picky about sounds, you can always get something like the Simmons kits at GC or an Alesis DM5. But I'd take the DTXPlorer over either of those for a couple $ more. Rolands are a bit pricier, but are unquestionably good quality.
__________________
"When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe."- Henry Thoreau
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2008, 03:46 AM
SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ's Avatar
SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana Swamp
Posts: 1,739
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

For as much as the cheaper ekits cost, I may suggest you buying a decent (not the best) sound module, and maybe a single pad and two foot triggers to start. Then you can get extra pads as you need them. I don't have room for my acoustic and ekit to be set up at the same time in this room, so my alternative was a single pad with the foot triggers. That way I could still work on my rudiments and books.

Ekits come in real handy. You may want to experiment with mixing a pad or two with your acoustics. Also, it gives you a second very portable kit to bring to practice or a stealth recording session. My band mate has been working weekends as of late, so it has dampened our practice routine. I'm thinking of bringing my ekit over to his condo. He has a POD so we can jam out, even record, without disturbing anyone (both using headphones).

Basically, you may drop a pretty dime on a cheaper ekit, only to later wish you had spent a little more. I saw a TD10 kit on Craigslist recently asking $800- that's a little more than half of what I paid for my TD6 kit (new) many years ago.
__________________
Listen to WWOZ
Tape Op
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-08-2008, 07:49 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,110
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

I'll agree with Sleepy, a good sound module (Roland or Yamaha) and however many pads you need, and you're good to go. Right now, I'm using 3 channels of my 6 channel Tama. Just rack, floor and kick. But that is always subject to change. Check eBay, if only to do research. Lots of Roland kits for sale right now.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-08-2008, 09:01 AM
tak22thegoat's Avatar
tak22thegoat tak22thegoat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 389
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
Hey all,... ...if this should be in OTHER GEAR, I apologize and it can be moved if you wish....

I'm just looking for an e-kit so I can practice, nothing extravagent, but just something that I can practice with for chops and such. I live in a condo, so.....remember, I JUST want this for brushing up, going over tunes, etc,....

I was thinking maybe the DTXplorer, and maybe add a cymbal pad?

Thoughts any and all!

THANKS DW!
How much are you willing to spend?
The best set for your money is the http://www.dtxperience.com/dtxtremeIII.php
Very good.
High end kits, I recommend Roland.
Low end kits, I HIGHLY recommend Yamaha. You get what you paid for. =]
__________________
When in doubt ROLL! - Gene Krupa
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-08-2008, 12:59 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak22thegoat View Post
How much are you willing to spend?
The best set for your money is the http://www.dtxperience.com/dtxtremeIII.php
Very good.
High end kits, I recommend Roland.
Low end kits, I HIGHLY recommend Yamaha. You get what you paid for. =]
DTXTREME III is $4K ! Come on...

I know Roland makes the best kit, but that's not what I'm looking for ....it's almost like I'm looking for a practice pad with sounds?! SIMMONS?! I was also hearing that the DTXplorer brain will fry on me early. Was told the Simmons brain on the SDS-7 kit is pretty nice.....for what I'm looking for, it might be the way to do.

Trust me, if I had 3 or 4 grand to throw around 'at drum equipment' ...it wouldn't be on a e-kit, and if it was, it would be Roland all the way....but .....well, you see what I'm looking for.

Thanks so far to all responses
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:25 PM
latzanimal's Avatar
latzanimal latzanimal is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 780
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

Have you thought about making your own pads or have someone make them for you? You could purchase a D4 or DM5 from ebay and have as many pads as you want.....

They are easy to make.....
__________________
"Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out of it alive!!"
My Dirty Little
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:26 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
Have you thought about making your own pads or have someone make them for you? You could purchase a D4 or DM5 from ebay and have as many pads as you want.....

They are easy to make.....

Probably a good idea, but I don't want this to be a "project" if that makes sense. I just want to be able to go downstairs and rip off a few tunes when I need to/want to, that's all
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:28 PM
latzanimal's Avatar
latzanimal latzanimal is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 780
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
Probably a good idea, but I don't want this to be a "project" if that makes sense. I just want to be able to go downstairs and rip off a few tunes when I need to/want to, that's all
I understand, have someone make one for you...

You can also purchase a DM5 Alesis kit for around $500 on ebay
__________________
"Never take life too seriously, 'cause you'll never get out of it alive!!"
My Dirty Little
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:32 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
I understand, have someone make one for you...

You can also purchase a DM5 Alesis kit for around $500 on ebay
good idea...

My guy at GC can get me the SDS 7 for 499,.....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:53 PM
tak22thegoat's Avatar
tak22thegoat tak22thegoat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 389
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
DTXTREME III is $4K ! Come on...

I know Roland makes the best kit, but that's not what I'm looking for ....it's almost like I'm looking for a practice pad with sounds?! SIMMONS?! I was also hearing that the DTXplorer brain will fry on me early. Was told the Simmons brain on the SDS-7 kit is pretty nice.....for what I'm looking for, it might be the way to do.

Trust me, if I had 3 or 4 grand to throw around 'at drum equipment' ...it wouldn't be on a e-kit, and if it was, it would be Roland all the way....but .....well, you see what I'm looking for.

Thanks so far to all responses
DON'T GET SIMMONS!!!
TRUST ME! I'm a semi expert on e-drums lol. Get a Yamaha. They don't break, the racks are perfect, and the pads are good. If you get simmons, hardware breaks, pads break after some playing, and etc. DTXplorer brains are not that bad. You can tweak it.
Also, if you want to go REALLY cheap, build your own. http://vdrums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48
It will take sometime but it is worth it. you will get an acoustic kit but with electronic capabilities. Probably not what you're looking for.
What you want is a cheap kit that will last you a long time. That is a YAMAHA! Roland TD-3 is much more expensive, and you cannot tweak the sounds in the module. So it sucks. (joke) Get a Yamaha, and you will be happy when practicing forever. =]
__________________
When in doubt ROLL! - Gene Krupa
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:55 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak22thegoat View Post
DON'T GET SIMMONS!!!
TRUST ME! I'm a semi expert on e-drums lol. Get a Yamaha. They don't break, the racks are perfect, and the pads are good. If you get simmons, hardware breaks, pads break after some playing, and etc. DTXplorer brains are not that bad. You can tweak it.
Also, if you want to go REALLY cheap, build your own. http://vdrums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48
It will take sometime but it is worth it. you will get an acoustic kit but with electronic capabilities. Probably not what you're looking for.
What you want is a cheap kit that will last you a long time. That is a YAMAHA! Roland TD-3 is much more expensive, and you cannot tweak the sounds in the module. So it sucks. (joke) Get a Yamaha, and you will be happy when practicing forever. =]
OK, that's good advice for sure! Thanks....so,....cheapest is the DTXplorer...it that ok?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Samf Samf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 63
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

I know exactly what you are asking. I was in the same situation as you. I have a very nice set but wanted the ability to practice anytime day or night. You idea of a basic e-kit for practice is the way to go IMHO.

I also did not want to spend a fourtune on a e-kit based on what it was to be used for. I bought the DTXplorer and have had no issues at all with it. It does everything I was looking for in a practice kit. I would only suggest getting a dual zone trigger pad for snare so you can do rim clicks and also for the ride so you get the bell as well. All things you can do later.

I can honestly say it was the best 600.00 I have every spent 1 year ago. The ability to practice anytime day or night without the worry of disturbing the family (and yes as hard as it is to admit my playing can be disturbing) was worth every dollar spent.

There is not additional inputs for adding additional pads and the midi songs built in is what you get. There is no ability to add more to the brain but you can play them from an outside source through the sound moudle. The groove feature is great and will help improve time keeping.

For the price and what you are looking for it would be a great selection.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-08-2008, 09:16 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,110
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

There are 3 Dtxplorer kits on eBay right now. $500-600 would probably get you into one. A couple Roland TD-3/5 units, probably looking at $600 for those. A few orphan modules for sale. Pick up a few pads on the cheap. My Tama kit was under $300. I've got more that that invested in my snare. Or, for that matter, in my hi-hats and ride. It doesn't have to "break the bank".
Attached Images
 
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-10-2008, 07:48 AM
MatF MatF is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

I just bought one of those DTXplorers off of eBay, but I'm having a problem with the headphone jack. I wonder if anyone here might have an idea to help.

Specifically, when everything is plugged in, I only get audio through the right channel on the headphones. I'm using standard 1/8" headphones, using a 1/4" converter, and I tried multiple headphones and converters. All give this same problem. Further, when I pull the plug out halfway, then the audio switches completely to the left side. I feel like I've seen this problem in the past, in other electronics, and I was able to pull the cord out 'halfway', and get both audio again. However, this doesn't work on this situation.

There are two alternate output jacks for separate L and R channels, but I felt like those were much quieter than the main 'headphones' jack, and also I felt like I was having some problems on one of those as well.

Anyhow, does this sound like a bad circuitboard or something? Any recommendations? Might I be able to dig inside and re-solder something that has gone bad?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-10-2008, 09:53 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,110
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

I'd try hunting down a pair of headphones that actually have a 1/4" jack wired to them.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-10-2008, 11:58 PM
tak22thegoat's Avatar
tak22thegoat tak22thegoat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 389
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

Don't get TD-3's. They are VERY limited.
Your best bet is a used DTXPLORER IV special set. It sells for 1400$ new so you should be able to get it cheaper.
__________________
When in doubt ROLL! - Gene Krupa
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-18-2008, 11:14 PM
don strandberg don strandberg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 75
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

I am very new to e drums. About 3 weeks ago I bought a kit made by Astro for 400.00
I am glad I did. I have hours on them.
Most of the time I dont even turn the power on. For a lower end kit the feel is really good. The mesh heads are close to a real drum feel. I have no problem when I get on my acoustics.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatF View Post
I just bought one of those DTXplorers off of eBay, but I'm having a problem with the headphone jack. I wonder if anyone here might have an idea to help.

Specifically, when everything is plugged in, I only get audio through the right channel on the headphones. I'm using standard 1/8" headphones, using a 1/4" converter, and I tried multiple headphones and converters. All give this same problem. Further, when I pull the plug out halfway, then the audio switches completely to the left side. I feel like I've seen this problem in the past, in other electronics, and I was able to pull the cord out 'halfway', and get both audio again. However, this doesn't work on this situation.

There are two alternate output jacks for separate L and R channels, but I felt like those were much quieter than the main 'headphones' jack, and also I felt like I was having some problems on one of those as well.

Anyhow, does this sound like a bad circuitboard or something? Any recommendations? Might I be able to dig inside and re-solder something that has gone bad?

Thanks!!
Sounds like a re-soldering is in order. The Left and Right channels are running at line level and will probably be lower than your headphone output, which has already been through another amplifier!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-19-2008, 01:23 AM
Rickk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

Our Church went with an Accoustic set recently and the Roland V-drums are going up for sale very resonable Im sure, if anyone is interested send me a PM and I will give it to the Music minister.
Rick
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-19-2008, 03:18 AM
dharma bum's Avatar
dharma bum dharma bum is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 118
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

I have a TD-3, and yes it's limited compared to other ekits, but it does EVERYTHING I need it to do - it's great for quiet home practice, running an IPod through it, and playing with the click or the "Rhythm Coach". I also helped a friend buy a Yamaha DTXplorer recently - it seemed just as good for practice, and cheaper.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Samf Samf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 63
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

MatF,

Before you spend on headphones, check to make sure the output settings are set to CTR (center/Stereo). You can set all pads to output Left Right or Center.

Pressing the right arrow button should take you to that menu.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-20-2008, 06:03 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickk View Post
Our Church went with an Accoustic set recently and the Roland V-drums are going up for sale very resonable Im sure, if anyone is interested send me a PM and I will give it to the Music minister.
Rick
see private message
202020202020
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-21-2008, 03:29 AM
Rickk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Inexpensive E-kit!

For the guy's interested , it looks like this set or pretty close, I know nothing about V-Drums.



http://www.roland.com/products/en/TD...D-12K-WT_L.jpg
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com