DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-03-2008, 05:56 PM

Default my improved pearl/ sabian/ a little zildjian kit

Just yesterday I went out and bought my second crash cymbal, an HHX evolution, and man do I love it! In the last year-ish I've added the 12" splash, 8" splash (I used to have it inverted on top of one of my crashes, but it got in the way - so I don't know what to do with it now), and changed all the resonant and batter heads to REMO coated ambassadors.
Next on my list is a new BD pedal and maybe a new ride and/or some new hats (but that can wait).

The cymbals are: Sabian 17" HHX Evolution crash, Sabian 18" Signature Explosion crash, Sabian 21" AA Rock Ride, Sabian 14" AA Fusion Hats, Zildjian 12" A extra-thin splash, and my Sabian 8" AA splash (not in any pics)

Here's my kit, pre-fix up:

Here's my kit with all the bells and whistles:

Old 02-03-2008, 06:13 PM

Default Re: my improved pearl/ sabian/ a little zildjian kit

I like what you've done with the thing. It looks a lot better now. The HHX looks beautiful. Which brand is your kit? :D

Joe
Old 02-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

Nice new crash!

(Your bass drum is the wrong way)
Old 02-03-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trommur View Post
I like what you've done with the thing. It looks a lot better now. The HHX looks beautiful. Which brand is your kit? :D

Joe
It's a Pearl export series I believe. It's the same starter kit my parents bought me 4 or 5 years ago.

And yeah, I love the HHX in both sound and appearance, :P
I'm thinking I might replace the 18" Signature because I find it too loud/ thick. The HHX is so responsive, but having 2 crashes to work with is certainly fun!
Old 02-03-2008, 06:40 PM

Mofle's right. Your bass drum is turning the wrong way, you are now actually hitting the resonant side.. :D
Old 02-03-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofle View Post
Nice new crash!

(Your bass drum is the wrong way)
Haha, no it's not! When I first got the kit a while back I tried the 'right' way but I felt that the toms were too far from me, so I just flipped the bass around. I like it better this way because everything's pretty tight and easy to reach.

Does it matter which side I hit? I have the same heads (Remo coated ambassadors) on both side.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazy4 View Post
Haha, no it's not! When I first got the kit a while back I tried the 'right' way but I felt that the toms were too far from me, so I just flipped the bass around. I like it better this way because everything's pretty tight and easy to reach.

Does it matter which side I hit? I have the same heads (Remo coated ambassadors) on both side.
Now your toms are very angled and far apart, does that play comfortable? Did you ever try to set up like most people do, with toms flatter and more together?

Nice crash by the way :-).

How do you like the fusion hats btw? I am thinking about saving up for 13" AAX fusion hats, but I don't know if that's the way to go yet...
Old 02-03-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
Now your toms are very angled and far apart, does that play comfortable? Did you ever try to set up like most people do, with toms flatter and more together?

Nice crash by the way :-).

How do you like the fusion hats btw? I am thinking about saving up for 13" AAX fusion hats, but I don't know if that's the way to go yet...
When I have some free time I'll have to try and set everything up the 'right way' and see how that feels.

About the hats: they're all I've ever played on, so I can't really compare them to much. They do the job for me (beginner/ intermediate player) but when I play jazz they seem a little heavy - I'm looking for something maybe crispier and lighter.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Administrator

If you turn your bass drum around so that the legs are in the front where they belong, then you can swing your toms together instead of a foot apart and then they won't be to far from you. I would be afraid of putting my foot through the Pearl reso head.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Silver Member

cool kit man, and the cymbals are great! Ill join in on the fun: "your tom angles look awfull!" ha ha

Keep rockin' man.

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 PM

Hey dude i have the same headphone the Vic Firth 'musician's stereo isolation headphones', they are wicked.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz-drummer-tim View Post
Hey dude i have the same headphone the Vic Firth 'musician's stereo isolation headphones', they are wicked.
i want some of them actually.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 02-05-2008, 10:15 PM

I have the exact same kit - Do you know exactly what colour it is called?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 AM

Turns out all of you were right! (Who would've thought? :D ) Anyways, I spent a while tinkering around and looking at some of the set-up pictures on the forum, and my toms are now angled the right way. Unfortunately, I noticed that I'd cracked my bass drum head, which is relatively new and unused (REMO coated ambassador).
I've seen pictures of those circular pad-things put right where the kick mallet hits the bass drum head. Does anybody know what they're called?

Yeah, the Vic Firth Headphones are great. I'm lifting a song for music class and my custom earplugs + the VF headphones = amazing sound/ noise cancellation.

Trigger:
How long ago did you get your kit? I don't think I've ever even know the 'real' colour name for the finish. I'm going with maybe... 'silver'? haha, I dunno.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Pioneer Member

Was turning the bass drum around an experiment?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero View Post
Was turning the bass drum around an experiment?
Do you mean when it was the wrong way? Nobody really taught me what was 'right' and 'wrong' so I was just playing for a while with bad tom angles. After being prompted I tried turning the bass around and fiddling with it - which now works for me (i.e. it's the 'right' way now).
Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Turns out all of you were right! (Who would've thought? :D ) Anyways, I spent a while tinkering around and looking at some of the set-up pictures on the forum, and my toms are now angled the right way. Unfortunately, I noticed that I'd cracked my bass drum head, which is relatively new and unused (REMO coated ambassador).
I've seen pictures of those circular pad-things put right where the kick mallet hits the bass drum head. Does anybody know what they're called?

Yeah, the Vic Firth Headphones are great. I'm lifting a song for music class and my custom earplugs + the VF headphones = amazing sound/ noise cancellation.

Trigger:
How long ago did you get your kit? I don't think I've ever even know the 'real' colour name for the finish. I'm going with maybe... 'silver'? haha, I dunno.

Hey dude i have one of those 'pads' on my basedrumhead, mines called a FALAM SLAM
by remo, but evans as an example also have em
Old 02-07-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:

Trigger:
I dunno, i bought it second hand about three years ago, and i think it was about a year old when i got it.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz-drummer-tim View Post
Hey dude i have one of those 'pads' on my basedrumhead, mines called a FALAM SLAM
by remo, but evans as an example also have em
cool, thanks man. I'll pop by L+M and have look-see.