DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-03-2008, 01:55 PM

Default DW 9000 or 5000?

Hi Everyone,

Im a DW endorsee here in Australia, and am about to get a new kick pedal. Currently Im using an Iron Cobra which Ive had for about 10 years.

Not sure which way to go and I thought I'd ask people's opinion in here. Because of my Cerebral Palsy I do need a pedal thats fairly flexible. I only want a single, so Im looking either DW5000 or DW9000 giving Im not very heavy on the pedals, what do you guys think?

Cheers,
Old 02-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: DW 9000 or 5000?

The last DW 5000 pedal I had was a great pedal. An A3 model. I saw no reason to jump into the 9000 series, so I didn't. Unless you feel the need to have the cam adjustability of the 9000, I'd say the 5000 is plenty up for the job. When DW only gave you 3 spring attachment points for beater angle, that kinda was a little behind, but they fixed that with a slot for better "fine tuning".
Old 02-04-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerstix_au View Post
Hi Everyone,

Im a DW endorsee here in Australia, and am about to get a new kick pedal. Currently Im using an Iron Cobra which Ive had for about 10 years.

Not sure which way to go and I thought I'd ask people's opinion in here. Because of my Cerebral Palsy I do need a pedal thats fairly flexible. I only want a single, so Im looking either DW5000 or DW9000 giving Im not very heavy on the pedals, what do you guys think?

Cheers,
Hi,

I personally have the DW9000 as that is what i like but also use it for some of my students when i teach music to them. What may be of interest to you is all of my students has varing physical and mental conditions. Non of them have Cerebral Palsy but with the students who have limited leg strength for such reasons as one having to use a walker/wheelchair - they are able to get a solid sound out of the kick.
PM me if you want more information but also, when i tried out the 5000 it felt nice but not a fluid or smooth - i havnt used that for my students so cant compaire for you.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:35 PM

9000 all the way... there's nothing smoother. I've played one since they came out and have been very pleased.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Silver Member

...G'Day.

I have both the 9000, and the 5000 (not sure which model), and I love them both.

That being said, If I had to choose between them, I would go with the 9000. To me, the 9000 feels a lot more responsive at a lighter spring tension. I do not have a very heavey foot myself, so I like it when the pedal does most of the work for me. My only complaint about the 9000 is that I had to buy a longer beater to get it to hit what I consider to be the sweet spot on my 24" bass drum.

Congrats on the endorsement.

Barry
Old 02-04-2008, 04:12 PM

It seems to be subjective to opinion, but I've been playing 5000's for years but decided to try out a 9000. I used it for a weekend, tweeked all the adjustments I could but did not like the pedal & promptly took it back. Maybe it's just that I'm so used to the 5000's, ( I have two doubles & a single, all accelerators) but I thought the 9000 was too heavy feeling & muddy, & the footboard felt too large & bulky. The biggest issue to me was the springs mounted inside the posts as opposed to outside. The engineer who designed that feature obviously doesn't wear size 14 shoes like I do, my big gun boat kept finding it's way up between the springs, I really didn't like that.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

I've used an older single 5000 pedal for years now. I love it. I feel really comfortable with it. There isn't much to adjust though. I don't know if I would need more adjustments than what is available on my 5000, but from what I understand the 9000 has many more points you can adjust. Functionally the 5000 is just great.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:32 AM
fourstringdrums

Well like I said Andrew, if you're anything like me, your limitations are such that you get to a point where you can only do so much on a pedal regardless of how good it is. So if the 9000 doesn't let you play any easier or better than the 5000 even if it's technically smoother, it's not worth the extra cash.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...G'Day.

I have both the 9000, and the 5000 (not sure which model), and I love them both.

That being said, If I had to choose between them, I would go with the 9000. To me, the 9000 feels a lot more responsive at a lighter spring tension. I do not have a very heavey foot myself, so I like it when the pedal does most of the work for me. My only complaint about the 9000 is that I had to buy a longer beater to get it to hit what I consider to be the sweet spot on my 24" bass drum.

Congrats on the endorsement.

Barry
Did you buy the longer DW beater? I also play a 24" bass drum and noticed that when I picked up the 9000. I played the 5000 for ten years with no problems. I've been using the 9000 now for a little over a year and am really happy with it.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 02-05-2008, 06:29 PM

Heya Andrew,

I guess, (to add my $0.02), if all things are equal, the 9000 offers more flexibility than the 5000 does, so I would urge you to go that way.. There are many more options with regard to beater position, etc.. However, you need to decide what you may actually need.

I use the 9000's and love them..

Peace!
Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Did you buy the longer DW beater? I also play a 24" bass drum and noticed that when I picked up the 9000. I played the 5000 for ten years with no problems. I've been using the 9000 now for a little over a year and am really happy with it.
...Hola Mendozart.

I bought the DW long beater. I tried a few other beaters, but I prefer the DW. It may sound silly, but when I change beaters, I have to readjust my pedal. It must be the beater weight, that throws the feel off.

Barry
Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...Hola Mendozart.

I bought the DW long beater. I tried a few other beaters, but I prefer the DW. It may sound silly, but when I change beaters, I have to readjust my pedal. It must be the beater weight, that throws the feel off.

Barry
Beater weight can change the feel of a pedal alot
Old 02-07-2008, 02:44 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice... I have some gigs in Adelaide in a few weeks, I think when I get back to Sydney after that. I will go into my local drum store and grab both pedals, set them up on a kit and basically see which one feels the best for me.

I did a gig in Melbourne in October, and DW supplied me with a collectors kit with 9000 series hardware, and Ive honestly never played a smoother pedal.

Biggest thing for me, I dont have much movement in my lower leg, so my kick playing comes from the hip. In kinda like a rocking motion... and so therefore I rely on the pedal a lot to work for me.

Anyway, thanks again.

Andy
Old 02-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Rickk

I currently have a mix of pedals- My double Bass is the Iron Cobra,
My Hi Hat is DW 5000, and my remote Hi Hat is a DW 9000.
Between the 5000 and the 9000 I prefer the 5000, the foot plate has better grip the 9000 is too smooth, but both are really great. I Had the DW 7002 double Bass and really did not like it at all.

Hope this helps.

Rick
Old 02-09-2008, 03:28 PM

i really would go for the 9000's but have you thought about the 8000 its the best of both and looks so nice :)
Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

I just want to put more love out there for my 5k. Not that it would be better for you than the 9k. Yesterday my band mate was playing my kit for a sound check, and he kept telling me how my kick pedal sucked. He just couldn't figure it out. For me, it is so natural to my foot. He's like, "Why don't you use this double chain Tama pedal right here." I've tried using the Tama, but it just doesn't have the same response. The double chain is very smooth, but man, I just love the snappiness of the single chain. I also keep my foot low on the foot board, and don't lay my foot weight onto the pedal. I do more of a dance with it. My band mate smothers my poor 5k, and I think he's a beater burier as well. My 5k likes to breathe.

I just thought it was really humorous how much he hated my 5k. It's an old tank, but a tank nonetheless.