DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-03-2008, 09:04 AM

Default The dilemma: footboard high or low?

Greetings all.

I have a pair of Iron Cobras for which I just can't seem to find the right settings. Most notably, I seem to have a hard time finding a good sense of control and response. I oftentimes feel like they lag just a little behind me, especially when trying to play slower patterns. So it got me thinking about the settings as well as how I position myself and my posture. Which made me start thinking about the footboard, which can be adjusted on the Iron Cobras.

So, my question is sorta two-fold and open-ended:

The first part is, what are your thoughts and/or advice on the positioning of the footboard?

The second is, what do you consider the best way to adjust them for quick and complex patterns? I always aim for my own style, but for comparison, think Lamb of God, Nevermore, Gene Hogland (no, I'm not that good, but I love his BD versatility). Also, for that heavy punch, should I change out the stock beaters?

Thanks to everyone for any help!

\m/
~M.G.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: The dilemma: footboard high or low?

Mmmmm....tough to ask someone else how to set up your pedals Bro.

I would say set your footboard where the beater won't slap your foot on the rebound and work from there. There are just far too many variables to play with to make more than one or two changes and then try and read the difference. Gonna have to settle on something and leave it.

It's much easier to change like one single parameter and then try to adjust. The question really is "which is easier to adjust...your pedal to your foot or your foot to the pedal?"

I think the true secret is finding something that is consistent with what you are comfortable playing the most. The intiricate stuff...must come from your technique.

My .02

Good luck with that though...
Old 02-03-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
Mmmmm....tough to ask someone else how to set up your pedals Bro.

I would say set your footboard where the beater won't slap your foot on the rebound and work from there. There are just far too many variables to play with to make more than one or two changes and then try and read the difference. Gonna have to settle on something and leave it.

It's much easier to change like one single parameter and then try to adjust. The question really is "which is easier to adjust...your pedal to your foot or your foot to the pedal?"

I think the true secret is finding something that is consistent with what you are comfortable playing the most. The intiricate stuff...must come from your technique.

My .02

Good luck with that though...
You are correct, its about finding what feels best for me. But I wanted to know if anyone had any input on the pros & cons of the footboard position, or someone who has ICs and has found a really good setting.

What prompted me to post this thread is that I see alot of people, metal drummers especially, who love their ICs, but I have yet to make them work for me, so I find myself wondering if there is something I am missing. For years and years I had the most generic stock Pearl pedals and then finally made the upgrade. So, you are right, I need to find what works best for me. But input form others about the ICs or the pros & cons of footboard position would also be helpful.

What I am looking for is guidance in order to find my most comfortable settings. My previous pedals had no adjustable settings, except the tension on the weak spring, which made almost no difference. So, I'm just not well versed in the variety of settings available on the ICs and would like some help. But thanks for your $0.02. :-)

\m/
~M.G.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:42 AM

I agree with sticksnstonesrus but here is a few things that might help.

These links might give you some ideas:
Youtube video of someone setting up their Iron Cobra

Iron Cobra adjustments

You may want to look into the stiffer silver springs that Tama makes (part # HP900-7H) and also the wood or rubber Iron Cobra beaters: part# CB90W (Wood)
CB90R (Rubber) . Maybe even a Cobra Coil: part# CC900S.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage View Post
I agree with sticksnstonesrus but here is a few things that might help.

These links might give you some ideas:
Youtube video of someone setting up their Iron Cobra

Iron Cobra adjustments

You may want to look into the stiffer silver springs that Tama makes (part # HP900-7H) and also the wood or rubber Iron Cobra beaters: part# CB90W (Wood)
CB90R (Rubber) . Maybe even a Cobra Coil: part# CC900S.

Thanks! This is the type of help I was looking for!

\m/
~M.G.