DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Default Ported Head

I wanted to try a ported head on my set but didn't want to cut a hole in the Gretsch Black reso head. So I bought a white smooth PS3 head, added a Gretsch decal, a 4 inch black Holz, and voila. A couple of photos to view. I like the sound with both heads just beyond wrinkle and much less pedal rebound for my bad habit of burying the pedal. Enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2008, 12:17 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Ported Head

How do you personally cut the hole? I've never used a Holz before. Is it just a sticky template that you put on the drum, and cut out with a utility knife, then snap on the protector?

Did you buy the decal or did you make it?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Administrator

I bought the decal from Gretschgear.com, and I traced the hole with a felt marker and cut inside the line, then made a second cut to make it the proper size. I used an exacto blade to cut a small hole then a pair of small scissors to cut around the line. The front piece of the ring has a lip that goes into the hole, with adhesive around it, and the inside has a collar with adhesive that slips over the lip to make a good seal. No rattling. The PS3 actually came with a 5 inch sticky template that is glued on the the inside of the head and then you cut the inside portion out. I didn't want a 5 inch hole. And just so you know, the Holz was chrome, they had no black, so I sprayed it black when I got home.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:01 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I bought the decal from Gretschgear.com, and I traced the hole with a felt marker and cut inside the line, then made a second cut to make it the proper size. I used an exacto blade to cut a small hole then a pair of small scissors to cut around the line. The front piece of the ring has a lip that goes into the hole, with adhesive around it, and the inside has a collar with adhesive that slips over the lip to make a good seal. No rattling. The PS3 actually came with a 5 inch sticky template that is glued on the the inside of the head and then you cut the inside portion out. I didn't want a 5 inch hole. And just so you know, the Holz was chrome, they had no black, so I sprayed it black when I got home.
I usually use those templates but I tend to always screw up the cutting for some reason when using an exacto.

I'll have to be a beat more patient on my next kit.

....I mean my next bass drum head.

*shifty eyes*
Old 02-03-2008, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

My method of choice for installing the HOLZ is (after clearing the head of any oil) affix the plastic part of the ring that's flat "female" to the drum head (back, or inside surface) and with a razor knife, cut inside the ring. So you're using the ring as a template. And you cut at a slight angle (very slight) so no drumhead protrudes inside the hole. Remember, cutting outside the ring would be bad. Once you've got the hole cut, you push the "male" part of the ring thru the front of the drum head and it snaps and locks into the already installed collar. Quite foolproof (I can attest to installing at least 10 without a botch). Nice clean job, Gruntersdad.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:29 AM
Administrator

Thanks Harry. Your method does seem to have fewer steps. "logged for the next time" Thanks.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:54 AM

i thought i would throw this into the discussion:

http://www.olfa.com/circlecuttersdetail.aspx?c=51&id=65

as long as you don't want a hole larger than 6", this item is very nifty and works like a charm!
Old 02-03-2008, 05:07 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
My method of choice for installing the HOLZ is (after clearing the head of any oil) affix the plastic part of the ring that's flat "female" to the drum head (back, or inside surface) and with a razor knife, cut inside the ring. So you're using the ring as a template. And you cut at a slight angle (very slight) so no drumhead protrudes inside the hole. Remember, cutting outside the ring would be bad. Once you've got the hole cut, you push the "male" part of the ring thru the front of the drum head and it snaps and locks into the already installed collar. Quite foolproof (I can attest to installing at least 10 without a botch). Nice clean job, Gruntersdad.
My problem with cutting inside the ring is I try and cut the whole hole out in one pass with the razor knife so it leaves some protruding jagged edges inside the template. Either that or I snag and tear the outside of the head in front of the template. I'd probably benefit from making a few passes with the knife to avoid this.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:09 AM
Gold Member

I was just shopping for a smooth white bass drum reso head. I didn't like the way you could see the ring on the smooth white PS3, so I picked up the Evans EQ3. It already has the 5" hole cut in it. This is for my '71 Ludwig kit that I will post some pics of soon.
Attached Images

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 02-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
My problem with cutting inside the ring is I try and cut the whole hole out in one pass with the razor knife so it leaves some protruding jagged edges inside the template. Either that or I snag and tear the outside of the head in front of the template. I'd probably benefit from making a few passes with the knife to avoid this.
Rob use small scissors like for fingernails etc. It takes a while but they are very accurate.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
I was just shopping for a smooth white bass drum reso head. I didn't like the way you could see the ring on the smooth white PS3, so I picked up the Evans EQ3. It already has the 5" hole cut in it. This is for my '71 Ludwig kit that I will post some pics of soon.
If I had had that option I would have bought the Evans also. Good job.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
If I had had that option I would have bought the Evans also. Good job.
I still think yours looks sharp though. Nice job on the painting of the ring.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:24 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Oh really...I didn't know they made white bass resos with a hole.

What are you using for a batter head with this combination? Are you going for a more vintage tone with it?
Old 02-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Oh really...I didn't know they made white bass resos with a hole.

What are you using for a batter head with this combination? Are you going for a more vintage tone with it?
Right now I have a coated PS3 for the batter and it sounds pretty damn good. I generally use SK's on my bass drums, but thought I would try this out. I've got a guy locally that sells barely used tom heads for $5 and bass drum heads for $12, so I picked up the PS3 for cheap. They look like they were used for one session, then removed. Some are brand new. You should see his apartment, just stacks and stacks of heads. I'm probably going to go pick up an EMAD, SK1, and a clear PS3 to try.

Last edited by Mendozart; 02-03-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:35 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Right now I have a coated PS3 for the batter and it sounds pretty damn good. I generally use SK's on my bass drums, but thought I would try this out. I've got a guy locally that sells barely used tom heads for $5 and bass drum heads for $12. They look like they were used for one session, then removed. Some are brand new. You should see his apartment, just stacks and stacks of heads. I'm probably going to go pick up an EMAD, SK1, and a clear PS3 to try.
Ok, thanks again for letting me know. I was going to try originally a coated G2/G1 with an Evans Resonance Gate Pad but I think now i'll try a coated EQ1 with a coated EQ3 and an EQ pad laid down on the inside not touching anything. It should work out for an old school sound, especially on an African Mahogany drum.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
+1

When I needed to put a port in a reso a few months ago I found another of Harry's posts on the subject, followed this advice, and it came out great.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I wanted to try a ported head on my set but didn't want to cut a hole in the Gretsch Black reso head. So I bought a white smooth PS3 head, added a Gretsch decal, a 4 inch black Holz, and voila. A couple of photos to view. I like the sound with both heads just beyond wrinkle and much less pedal rebound for my bad habit of burying the pedal. Enjoy.
Beautiful job, GRUNTERSDAD. We mostly play unmiked and I like an unported reso for that, but I ported one with a 4" Holz, too, for miking. Came out great using Harry's method.

Let us know how you like the PS3. I have them front and rear, nothing in the drum, and I really like them.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Administrator

My bass came with an Emad on the batter and I'm still adjusting. Lost a little boom but I'm working on it.
And thanks DTD.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

I like it. You did a nice job. Maybe take a rag and some nail polish remover and take the Remo logo off.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:25 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
My bass came with an Emad on the batter and I'm still adjusting. Lost a little boom but I'm working on it.
And thanks DTD.
I honestly didn't like the EMAD on my 22" Renown bass. It was almost too round and boomy sounding. I had a hard time adjusting as well. But I did use an EQ2 and that was a great head for the drum.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
Beautiful job, GRUNTERSDAD. We mostly play unmiked and I like an unported reso for that, but I ported one with a 4" Holz, too, for miking. Came out great using Harry's method.

Let us know how you like the PS3. I have them front and rear, nothing in the drum, and I really like them.
You know, I play alot of unmiced gigs also, so I took the Evans head back today and ordered a gloss white Aquarian Force II. It comes with a 4 3/4" port, so if I don't like the full resonant sound, I can still port it. I really should have done this in the first place because I wanted to start with an unported head on the Luddie kick. Plus, it was way cheaper. The Force II is comparable with the EQ1 and the PS3.

Last edited by Mendozart; 02-09-2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:14 AM
Gold Member

So I got the Aquarian Force II reso and it really sounds good. I like that it's kind of an off-white, it looks really good on a vintage kit. I'll snap some pics when I get the logo put on. I also think I'm going to leave it non-ported, it sounds alot fuller.