DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 02-02-2008, 03:35 AM

Default Roland SPD-S

Does anyone here use this little bugger? And/or can you steer me to somewhere that might have a video or some sound clips on what it can do?

I'm looking to add something to my kit that will allow me to use percussion, sound effects, sampled bits, etc..

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Roland SPD-S

The SPD-S is perfect for what you wish to do.

You can record samples either via line-in, or with a mic, and sounds are recorded as .wav or.AIFF files, which means they can be created on pc via protools, etc.

Its a very durable unit and very easy to use, but one minor drawback is that the expansion cards used are CompactFlash and only accomodate a maxium memory of 512MB. Why is this a problem? Because CF cards are now all 1GB and more, which means 512MB cards can be difficult to find.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

Johnny Rabb will be glad to show you http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...s_sampling.flv I've had mine for 3 years (something like that). Wonderful machine. I run mine in stereo. A dry channel and a wet channel. Into two Roland PM-1s. Wet channel runs thry a Electro-Harmonix 16 Sec. loop station and a Ernie Ball Jr. volume pedal, so I can fade my loops in and out of the mix.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Johnny Rabb will be glad to show you http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...s_sampling.flv I've had mine for 3 years (something like that). Wonderful machine. I run mine in stereo. A dry channel and a wet channel. Into two Roland PM-1s. Wet channel runs thry a Electro-Harmonix 16 Sec. loop station and a Ernie Ball Jr. volume pedal, so I can fade my loops in and out of the mix.
Many thanks Brother...

Exactly what I was hoping to find.. I'll do some more snooping around on youtube and such, but I'm pretty sold that this is what I want.. Now, if I can just find one in my price range LOL..

Peace!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

I picked up mine used for $325. I've got 2 CF cards full of sound effects and samples, including a helicopter flying a search pattern, in stereo.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I picked up mine used for $325. I've got 2 CF cards full of sound effects and samples, including a helicopter flying a search pattern, in stereo.
I'm doing the 'Ebay-Shuffle' to find one as well.. There was only one for sale anywhere near me.. they lowered it from $1600 to $1200 and someone snapped it up.. sigh. They are selling in the states for about $450-500.. and shipping is less than $100.. Sometimes folks amaze me in their desire to waste money.. but as long as people keep on buying at those prices, they'll keep on selling them..

I found a few more videos on youtube doing some nice things.. I think it will do exactly what I want it to.

Thanks for all of your help.. and expect an IM or three when I get one LOL..

Peace!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:02 AM

Actually a fellow employee told me about BPMmusic.com. They are a distributor of Roland products...I just picked it up about a month ago. $399. Pretty sure free shipping if over $200. Excellent customer service.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp McWhitey View Post
Actually a fellow employee told me about BPMmusic.com. They are a distributor of Roland products...I just picked it up about a month ago. $399. Pretty sure free shipping if over $200. Excellent customer service.
Thanks, The price is excellent, but shipping to where I live now would be a lot.. however, my last ebay quest is not turning out so good so I may just do it if they will ship here.

Peace!
Old 02-10-2008, 04:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
They are selling in the states for about $450-500.. and shipping is less than $100..
Technically speaking, every Roland retailer the world over is under contract not to sell gear outside of its own territory. Basically, A US store selling Roland can only sell to US customers and the same with Australian retailers. If they are caught not abiding by this, they can have their entire account with Roland shut down.

If a store deliberately ignored their contractual obligations for the sake of one SPD-s sale, youd have to wonder whether they are the kind of store you want to be buying from anyway.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post
Technically speaking, every Roland retailer the world over is under contract not to sell gear outside of its own territory. Basically, A US store selling Roland can only sell to US customers and the same with Australian retailers. If they are caught not abiding by this, they can have their entire account with Roland shut down.

If a store deliberately ignored their contractual obligations for the sake of one SPD-s sale, youd have to wonder whether they are the kind of store you want to be buying from anyway.
That's what they said too.. I can always have my brother pick one up for me.. I probably won't be visiting the states for 6 months or so. They retail here for $1600 and sell, when you can find one, for around $1200.. Some on Ebay, but they go for $600+ and up...

Sigh..
Old 02-10-2008, 12:23 PM

i think there wicked a really good add on to any set up
Old 02-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Silver Member

Ah the SPD-S.

I bought mine for about $750 AU. You can seriously get it from the US for about that much. Billy Hydes here retails for $1,000.

It's a ridiculously cool idea, the only thing they need to work on is a better way to type in names. You have to scroll through the letters, so if you give your loop a name like "HouseTechnoGroove" it takes you 5 minutes just to get the name in.

Otherwise it does everything I want it to. Just working around to buying a kick trigger for it, and i'll be all over the place.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
They retail here for $1600 and sell, when you can find one, for around $1200
The retail price has come down. If Im not mistaken, they now retail at either $995 or $1195 in AU (I cant remember!)

Ill check tomorrow and let you know. My work has some going out on special at the moment.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:01 PM

I have an SPD-S, newly acquired, and lemme tell you, I find myself using it all the time. I recently got a larger memory card so I never run out of sounds I want. I have made my own sounds using Fruity Loops, a rap beat making program. It helps cause I can make long drones in whatever key the songs are in. It helps to make your own sounds. Plus, you can add random sound effects that the SPD-S didn't include in stock form.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post
The retail price has come down. If Im not mistaken, they now retail at either $995 or $1195 in AU (I cant remember!)

Ill check tomorrow and let you know. My work has some going out on special at the moment.
I regularly swing by the Billy Hydes near where I work.. They seem to be the largest chain in Aus.. (I moved here 3 years ago from the US). That is how I get my info.. The Drum Factory has always been a bit higher on things than BH.

The thing that kills me is the way things are priced here in Aus.. The exact same unit sell new in the states for around $500, (some places less). Shipping via the US post office is around $80.. add in the current exchange rate and you are still under $700 AuD. It sticks in my craw to have to pay the extra $300.

I suppose I should get used to it since this is my home now.. but $300 is a new cymbal or snare or a box of sticks.. (or a weekend away Wifey says).. LOL

When the time is right, I'll find a deal. I've pretty much convinced myself that having one is necessary ;-)

Peace!
Old 02-11-2008, 04:40 AM
Gold Member

^ I definitely hear you on that one!

By the way, The correct retail for the SPD-S in Australia is currently $1195.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 PM

Hi i got my roland spds and it worked fine suddenly the pads stop working when you hit them there is no sound, there is no star/stop funtion working (ther is no pad recognition) non lights turn on.

there is some way to reset this machine????
Old 04-10-2009, 10:59 AM

Take a look at this video to see de spd-s in use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql6Agc5nXUQ
Old 09-21-2009, 03:55 PM

Hey guys,
I want to connect my Roland SPD-S Drum Sampler via MIDI cable to my MacBook Pro and record performances/drum patterns straight into Logic Express.

Is this possible and what sort of MIDI cable do I need? A MIDI USB cable?
Sorry for the dumb question!

Thanks,
Ed
Old 09-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

Im using a standard midi cable, that goes into my Presonus Firebox (also high end audio interface) In the spd-s I set the midi channel's and numbers connect it to my MBP with Ableton or Logic, set the right samples and matching channels' and numbers and just play.

Works fine.

Or like sample master swiss Chris... use 2 ;)
Old 09-21-2009, 05:09 PM

Thanks MusiQmaN.

So what I was missing from my set up was a recording interface right?
In your case you use a Presonus Firebox.

So I have to use one, I can't go direct from SPD-S to MBP right?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

Well you can use any (cheap) (midi) interface that supports midi in/out (sometimes even trough)

The reason that I use the Firebox is that it also works standalone as a monitor mixer.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Silver Member

Silly question, but does the TMC-6 work with the SPD-S?

I want to add sampling capability to my kit, but as well as triggering loops, I want to have 2 pads, kd-7 and hihat control with one shot triggers as well. The SPD-S only has the one trigger output and one foot switch output, so instead I was thinking of patch all my trigger pads through the TMC and then linking that to the SPD-S via MIDI.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Silly question, but does the TMC-6 work with the SPD-S?

I want to add sampling capability to my kit, but as well as triggering loops, I want to have 2 pads, kd-7 and hihat control with one shot triggers as well. The SPD-S only has the one trigger output and one foot switch output, so instead I was thinking of patch all my trigger pads through the TMC and then linking that to the SPD-S via MIDI.
Sure it does.

You've figured it out for the most part. You'll have as many samples to trigger as there are pads on the SPD-S (I have one by the way) By using the TMC unit you are addressing the SPD-S as a pure sound source via MIDI. Unless of course you decide to use the built-in pads/edge triggers as well.

I've considered doing this myself but haven't been able to justify it as my gigs don't call for it. One thing to keep in mind is that although you may be triggering bass drum, snare drum, toms, etc., you will only have Left and Right Stereo Outputs to pan to. Therefore the EQ and levels will have to be dealt with to be effective.

HTH

Jim
Old 11-11-2009, 04:49 PM

Default Help with noisy sound

Hey guys,

I have a Clap sampler sound but it has a kinda noisy sound like when you scream in a big empty hall. what is the best way to fix it? which software should i use.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2009, 05:08 PM

I am having trouble with my spds. the lower mid pad is receiving simpathy hits from the other pads being struck. is anyone else having this problem??
Old 11-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M View Post
I am having trouble with my spds. the lower mid pad is receiving simpathy hits from the other pads being struck. is anyone else having this problem??

I haven't had that problem.....yet. :)

However, there is some kind of setting in the manual for adjusting for that. I remember reading about it although I can't remember exactly what it was ("Mask time" setting?). Peruse the back of the manual where they go into depth about settings and features and you'll be able to dial it in better. If you get stumped, call Roland tech support after the weekend.

HTH

Jim
Old 11-27-2009, 01:53 AM

I tried all the sensativety settings but the problem is that the 6 lower pads adjust as a group, not indivdualy. I guess I will call roland on monday. thanks for the input.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

I just picked one of these up at guitar center, i'm pretty excited. it was on sale for $450 plus I got 15% off with the black friday coupon! I got a 2 gig cf card, I read somewhere that you can partition it and leave a 512 mb partition that the spd-s will read.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:38 PM

they have the 512 mb cards on amazon.com they are just $13 just make sure they are type 1 cf. BTW, regarding the issue i had with the pads false trigering, i installed rubber wahers between the mount plate and the unit. it seemed to do the trick.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

http://www.amazon.com/GZMC100US-GZMC...9357891&sr=8-1

Does that one work? do you have a link for the card your talking about?
Old 11-28-2009, 01:49 AM

this is the one I purchased and it works fine. if you set your samples to (standard) you can put like 6 hrs of sounds on this card

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-TS51...9369200&sr=8-2
Old 11-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M View Post
... BTW, regarding the issue i had with the pads false trigering, i installed rubber wahers between the mount plate and the unit. it seemed to do the trick.

Cool. That's one to remember if I start having issues.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Silver Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BP8DmbKHOA

I made a short video of my first try messing with the sampler. It is pretty easy to use, and set up. I had a hard time playing the kick drum with my left hand, so I will probably buy an external kickpad to use.

I have a hip-hop gig on the 26th, and I can probably get a few songs together by then for the freestyle parts of the show.

Once I get my cf cards in this week I will be able to trim up those samples on the computer so they loop better.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:08 PM

well, the rubber washers did not work, i hit the pad for the hellocopter sound for pink floyd and it mixed with the car crash sound for kiss detroit rock city. two sounds that just dont go together. especialy live. :( off to the service center.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:12 PM

I use a Roland SPD-S in my band,*You can see it in my avatar below my mac* triggering various loops, although I tend to set the pads up to play through, rather than having to keep triggering the pads myself. So its much like an on/off for the loop.

I don't tend to use it much for percussion sounds, and frankly in my opinion most of the preset sounds are pretty lame.

I also add a Roland V Drum pad on it for odd snare sounds.

Overall for me , its a really important bit of kit for what I do.
However, its an expensive bit of kit, and I doubt, if I did not need it I would buy it.
Could get a new couple of cymbals with that money!
And if you're looking at it for home use, you'll probably want some kind of monitor....here come the extras! :-)

I think the Roland SPD20 may be more suited to pure percussion sounds rather than the SPDS which is more for triggering?

Has anyone seen the new Yamaha DTX-MULTI12.

Looks quite cool! :-)
Old 01-06-2010, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Roland SPD-S Floyd Samples

I just picked up my SPD. I want to incorporate some samples in my shows. Of course it takes a while to read the book but I really want to know how to get samples like the Pink Floyd "Airplane sound" on in the Flesh as well as the scream in alot of their songs. Additionally, the Liverpool sample at the end of Wish you were here. Any suggestions? I need all the help I can get!!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:43 PM

I loaded the sounds from the original tracks into Pyro audio creator and cut the sections of the tracks i wanted to sample. just play it back from your pc headphone jack to the input jacks on the spds, press the sample button, adjust the level(small nob by the input jack) press the start/stop button and the sound clip together, press start/stop again to stop. follow steps from there to assign.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:59 PM

One question to everyone who use this SPD-S.. what about the sound???
i read that the SPD-S only has 16bit sound-quallity.. that i think is very less
and far away from a professional drum-kit...

what you think abaut the sound-quallity... ireally wanna know, thx.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:52 AM

for the amount of time my loops and clips play, plus our pa is not a stereo rig, 98% of the crowd would never know the difference between 16 and 64 bit. also, i dont use the spds in the studio. Live only. so for me it doesn't matter.