DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

Default 3-Sticks by DW

Went to the local music store and found the display for 3-Sticks. I can't believe the poor quality control that is in place. Almost every stick I saw had a finishing defect. If it wasn't the sanding, it was the lathing. New sticks with a layer of wood missing from the shafts and tips, quite surprising. Just horrible, actually.

I was expecting much more from a DW product, but think the idea of three matched sticks is a winner. Quite dissapointed. Any of you try these things? Did I come across a bad batch? Opinions from those of you who have tried them? Joey

http://www.3drumsticks.com/news/index.html
Old 02-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: 3-Sticks by DW

Saw the article in MD and I was really intrigued buy them, but after this I guess I'll have to check them out myself and see whats up, maybe they are too new to have the quality assurance down pat, could have been a bad first batch ya never know, I'm sure any product DW makes quality products or else they wouldnt be named after DW.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

I have not tried these but the very idea of having 3 matching drumsticks i so simple yet its great because if you break one the other guy is still useful.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:12 AM

I bought two pairs, 5A and 2B, the pitch balancing was not good enough but the finishing was fine. I like the idea of getting a spare with every pack, but they definitely need to tighten up the standards.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:28 PM

If itís more money than 2 sticks and the quality isnít there, than I donít see the point of three sticks. If one stick breaks you will have a brand new stick and an old warned out stick. I want my sticks to be equal.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeats View Post
Went to the local music store and found the display for 3-Sticks. I can't believe the poor quality control that is in place. Almost every stick I saw had a finishing defect. If it wasn't the sanding, it was the lathing. New sticks with a layer of wood missing from the shafts and tips, quite surprising. Just horrible, actually.

I was expecting much more from a DW product, but think the idea of three matched sticks is a winner. Quite dissapointed. Any of you try these things? Did I come across a bad batch? Opinions from those of you who have tried them? Joey

http://www.3drumsticks.com/news/index.html
That's why they call em 3-sticks - you get one good stick out of every 3-sticks :)
Old 11-26-2008, 03:28 PM

I have had some good luck with the sticks. For some reason these have held up better then my vic firth 5a extremes. They seem to be a little longer then most standard sticks (5a). I played the 5a for a while. Maybe a bad batch or maybe I was lucky and bought from a good batch a few times.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Silver Member

The always seemed pointless to me.

When I use a normal pair of sticks they start to wear the same. If I broke a stick (which I haven't yet in 8 years of playing) I'd end up replacing my worn-in stick with a brand new one, and my hands wouldn't match.

I'd rather just buy a new pair.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:39 AM
Silver Member

I agree with, jazzkidding and oops. One new, one worn, doesn't work for me. Joey
Old 12-01-2008, 08:22 AM
cjbee

A stupid and pointless marketing gimmick from the geniuses up at DW.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

A bit harsh to claim stupid and pointless, no?

If they sold these at a reasonable price, one could buy two sets, thereby obtaining six sticks, (three pairs) for pretty much the same cost as four sticks (two pairs). I think the marketing model missed the boat when it failed to emphasize the "Get 3 for the price of two" aspect. I've seen these as low as $8 US on the net.

Of course, they still have the quality issues to overcome. I've still not placed a DW 3-Stick in my hand I would pay for. Joey
Old 12-02-2008, 12:55 AM
cjbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeats View Post
A bit harsh to claim stupid and pointless, no?

If they sold these at a reasonable price, one could buy two sets, thereby obtaining six sticks, (three pairs) for pretty much the same cost as four sticks (two pairs). I think the marketing model missed the boat when it failed to emphasize the "Get 3 for the price of two" aspect. I've seen these as low as $8 US on the net.

Of course, they still have the quality issues to overcome. I've still not placed a DW 3-Stick in my hand I would pay for. Joey
Ehhh...I'll stick with the traditional pairs of my Pro-Marks.

"Why fix it if it ain't broke?"
Old 12-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

I don't over analyze it. I but a box of Vic Firth 5BN stick and put them in my stick bag.
I keep 2 or 3 pairs for use in one pocket. When one wears out I chuck it and keep going.
I really don't have an issue with matched pairs when playing on the kit as long as long as they are the same make and model.

I am more picky on the practice pad, there I want them matched so i can hear the difference between my hands.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site