DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-01-2008, 03:47 AM

Default Drum Mics!! What's better?

I'm in need of drum mics and I'm thinking Audix. Is the D6 Bassdrum mic worth the extra green? I'm thinking the package with either f12, f10s , and two f15. But the D6 might be sweet. Then I could use the f12 for the large tom. Any suggestions? Or favorite brand?

Last edited by ross--; 02-01-2008 at 03:49 AM. Reason: wrong model
Old 02-01-2008, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Drum Mics!! What's better?

It’s tough to beat that D6. I have a sure PG52 and just looked at the beta 52 the D6 the sure beta 91 and the Sennheiser e602. I found the D6 not only sounded tighter without processing it sounded good in several positions so it’s easy to set up.
I wanted to try out a beta 91 but they did not have one at the store.
The D6 is about 50 more than the beta 52 my second choice but I think it’s worth it.
I have never used the F line of mic’s but I did read about them when I purchased my lower end Audio Technica drum mic pack but I’m guessing these are in the same league. Given this it’s worth it to upgrade to the D6.
BTW. Even after my purchase of these drum specific mics I bought My buddy brought over his sm57’s and I think these sound better on the toms and snare than mine.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:43 PM

The D6 is great for live sound. It really gets in the ballpark of the standard rock kick drum sound quickly.

However, for recording, I don't want a predefined dramatic EQ curve. I really don't like mics that are designed to do one task.

For kick mics, in the studio, I like the ATM25, the AT Pro 25, AKG D12 (not D112), Sen 421, EV RE-20, and hell, sometimes even a 57. I'll usually put one of those mics inside, and adjust to get the proximity effect to a nice amount of low. Then I'll put a larde diaphragm condenser on the resonant head, like an AKG 414, Neumann 47 or 87, Shure KSM, etc etc.

Cheers!

Ben Adrian
Old 02-02-2008, 12:16 AM

Just to follow this on, i want a snare mic and a decent hi-hat mic as when i gig and have to be miked up they sometimes dont mic the hi-hat at all with no overhead mics for the cymbals so wnat to cover that.

The snare is because im starting to play with 2 snares and when i do get mic-ed up, they never seem to have a 2nd snare mic.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2008, 02:48 AM

I picked up an i5 a couple days ago, and it's a great little snare/tom mic- very SM57-ish, to my ears. I dig it.

I hear nothing but good things about the D6 and other Audix mics in that class. I've got a drawer full of bass mics that I'm happy with presently or I'd try it, but I do think I'll scare up a few more i5s.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:44 AM

The i5 is £70 which is alot (i personally feel)

Any other options?

The Samson Q Snare seems like a cheap option but still quality.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shoes View Post

Any other options?

Samson does not = quality…

For snare an SM57 works well. How much are they in your country?

To mic the hats and other cymbals your going to want to use a condenser mic. Before spending the cash make sure your board has phantom power for these.
A decent condenser starts at about 200 each here. You can get them much cheaper but listen to them first. You will likely find the mids and highs a little shrilly in anything less…
It really depends on what you want. If you have spent big bucks on a good kit and cymbals no one in the audience will know it if your using cheap mics. A high end Sonor or DW kit will sound the same as an export kit with crappy Chinese mics…
Old 02-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

depends how much you have to spend.. in terms of quality vs price i would buy;

BD: beta52
SD: sm57
toms: Senn e604
OH: AKG 451
HH: AKG SE300

i really wouldn't consider buying anything worse than those choices.

+ i would consider that more of a live setup, for studio work it would be different yet again..
Old 02-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberonefan View Post
A high end Sonor or DW kit will sound the same as an export kit with crappy Chinese mics…
he speaks the truth :)
Old 02-04-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberonefan View Post
Samson does not = quality…

For snare an SM57 works well. How much are they in your country?
They are about £60-£70 which is alright i suppose.

Im going to leave the hi-hat mic for the mo, just too expensive when i want get some cymbals and ludwig black beauty snare
Old 02-06-2008, 04:16 AM

Well I buckled down and went with a package deal on ebay because it was too killer of a deal. I got the Audix fusion 7 deal. It came with 3f10s , f14, f12, 2 f15 overheads. Plus a ton of extras. I was quick to choose but saved a couple off retail. Any one else have these?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Pioneer Member

I'm starting to think about the Shure SM98s for my toms.....engineers seem to love them!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 02-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shoes View Post

Any other options?

£70 is nothing. At college we have Neumann Condenser microphone that you buy new for over £1,000. And no, I'm not rich and yes I am a student and no, I don't have a job any more.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross-- View Post
Well I buckled down and went with a package deal on ebay because it was too killer of a deal. I got the Audix fusion 7 deal. It came with 3f10s , f14, f12, 2 f15 overheads. Plus a ton of extras. I was quick to choose but saved a couple off retail. Any one else have these?
Audix have it pretty much wrapped up. Although I'd prefer to have a D6 in there, that's a decent set all the same. In your situation I would've bought something along the lines of:

2xAKG C1000 (overheads) OR Rode NT5
2XShure SM57 (snare)
1XAudix D6 (bass drum)

But that's just my personal preference. Audix make good microphones, so I'm sure the pack you've bought will serve you well.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:26 PM

You guys seem to know your stuff so I would like your opinion on my AKGs (box set of 4 x C148s and a D112).

Also - my kit is an Mbirch fusion with 4 toms + a Pearl Steve Ferrone signature snare, so I'm one mic short. At venues we play regularly the engineers often use my set and add some of their own mics.

My C148s usually get put on Snare , 8", 10" and 12" rack toms and then a 57 is placed for the 14" hanging tom. My question here is, wouldn't the 57 would be best on the snare? Use the C148 on the 14" tom?

Also - sometimes they put D112 on the pillow inside the BD and sometimes on a stand in front of the 4" port. Whats the difference?

The toms are tuned quite deep but certainly not "wrinkly". Heads - EMAD on bass, pinstripe batters with original resos on toms, Remo emporer batter on snare.

Regards,

HC
Old 02-06-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross-- View Post
Yes, I own the same set, and I was very pleasantly surprised at how good they are. No issues -- I think you'll be really pleased with them.

~~Sorry my dog humped your leg. He feels terrible about it.~~
Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Highway Child.

Technically speaking it probably does make more sense to have the SM57 on the snare and the AKG's on the toms, although I seriously doubt that in a live situation it's going to make much difference at all to anybody but the engineer and his gain levels. As for the pillow against stand issue, it's probably a case of isolation and the overall bass drum sound. Although the D112 has a high side and rear rejection level, the amount of isolation inside the bass drum is going to be slightly higher than that of the same microphone outside of the bass drum.

Also, the sound is different. A microphone inside the drum close to the batter head is more likely to have more attack, whilst the bass drum outside is going to have a more overall perspective of the sound. Really it's down to the engineer and his preferences. Mine are to have it just ever so slightly inside the bass drum which is a nice compromise.

It could even be as simple as the engineer forgetting his short stand (which does happen!) and finding a good place to nestle the microphone.

As for the AKG set, that's another decent set. Going with Shure, Audix or AKG rarely yields bad results with regards to the dynamic microphones. I have my preferences for overheads but those are personal choices more than anything else. A lot of the 'budget' sets from AKG, Audix and Shure are good quality but often are lacking with the overheads. Personally I would prefer to buy microphones individually, but I'm also a minimalist and use as little as I can to get the effect I want.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:34 AM

Thanks for all the great responses guys I'll keep you updated when I try them out!!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Highway Child.

Technically speaking it probably does make more sense to have the SM57 on the snare and the AKG's on the toms, although I seriously doubt that in a live situation it's going to make much difference at all to anybody but the engineer and his gain levels. As for the pillow against stand issue, it's probably a case of isolation and the overall bass drum sound. Although the D112 has a high side and rear rejection level, the amount of isolation inside the bass drum is going to be slightly higher than that of the same microphone outside of the bass drum.

Also, the sound is different. A microphone inside the drum close to the batter head is more likely to have more attack, whilst the bass drum outside is going to have a more overall perspective of the sound. Really it's down to the engineer and his preferences. Mine are to have it just ever so slightly inside the bass drum which is a nice compromise.

It could even be as simple as the engineer forgetting his short stand (which does happen!) and finding a good place to nestle the microphone.

As for the AKG set, that's another decent set. Going with Shure, Audix or AKG rarely yields bad results with regards to the dynamic microphones. I have my preferences for overheads but those are personal choices more than anything else. A lot of the 'budget' sets from AKG, Audix and Shure are good quality but often are lacking with the overheads. Personally I would prefer to buy microphones individually, but I'm also a minimalist and use as little as I can to get the effect I want.

Thanks for the detailed reply, glad to hear my mics are OK. Nice to see a UK poster too!

Regards,

HC
Old 02-07-2008, 06:26 PM

I love the D6. I had a Beta 52, got a good deal on a D6, compared them, and sold the Beta52 a week later. It just has that "oomph" that you don't have to spend hours dialing in. Sounds great out of the box. I use the I5 on my snare (recently replaced a D1) and it sounds really nice. The D1 did well as a snare mic as well, but I believe the I5 is a little bit better. On my toms, I use D2's on the racks, and D4's on the floor toms. I dig them all.

So, my opinion is, you can't go wrong with the Audix D series. But, different strokes for different folks.... Shure makes great mics, as does Rode, Sennheiser, etc, etc. To me, Audix fits what I'm hearing.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:46 AM

I have always been a fan of the beta52 for the kick for a few reasons. you can plug it in with a flat EQ and it will sound good, you could probably throw it down a flight of stairs and it would still be fine and they're EVERYWHERE and every sound guy knows how to get a good sound with it.

I've experienced the 91 once in a smallish club and it made my kick drum sound absolutely rediculously good. I was checking the kick drum and it sounded so good in the monitor that i had the singer kick the pedals while i went out front... amazing mic.

For the snare, I'm sold on shure's beta57. It's basically a straight up 57 but they sound a little smoother to me.

Toms, shure beta98s. Nothing else compares without spending twice the money, and you can close mic cymbals with them too, AND the mounts that come with them are the best designed mic mounts in the history of drum mic mounts. It's obvious that shure talked to a few drummers when they were making these mics/mounts... They're perfect for a gigging drummer IMO.

I have a case with 4 98s, 2 57s and 2 52s that measures 12" x 16" x 4" and weighs less than 20 pounds... Makes gigging a breeze.