DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-28-2008, 06:51 PM

Default A digital kit for the dorm room...

After quite a while without any access to a kit up here in college, I am starting to go crazy without being able to get my drum dosage. I've got some spare cash, so, for the sake of silence, and maybe a little bit of room, I'm looking into getting a small electronic kit. It doesn't need to be anything crazy, and I'm only looking to spend in the 300-500 range, maybe 600 at most. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations/experience with the low-mid end digital kits out there these days? Any extra info like ease of setting up/taking apart/actual size of the kit would be helpful as well.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: A digital kit for the dorm room...

I don't know about which kits to get but they will not solve the noise problem completely
Old 01-28-2008, 07:56 PM

Yes, be aware that digital kits are not 'silent'. Even with mesh heads you have a pretty loud impact noise because you're still whacking something with a stick. For some reason the 'whack with a stick' noise carries much farther than any other type.

But college dorms are pretty noisy so you will probably be okay if you just play during the day.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 PM

Yeah, for sure. I'm not aiming for complete silence, but something that's not going to be driving people nuts because it's so loud and washy. I'm a hard hitter, and a loud player...I have issues playing quietly lol. I'm also going for an electronic kit because of space- I can fold it up and pack it when I need to, can't exactly do that with a real kit.

I'm going to hit up the local music store tomorrow though, try some things out, and hopefully find something that works for me. Wanted to see if anyone had experience with some lower-end electro kits though.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Well, good luck finding a kit in the $300-500 dollar range. Unless you buy used. The entry level Roland kit is $799. The Simmons kit is $599. (latest Guitar Center prices).
Old 01-28-2008, 11:13 PM

I bought a Yamaha DTX about 5 years ago out of necessity because I lived in an apartment and the wife was pregnant. It was about $900 and I think they have not increased in price much from then. They are great for a practice kit, I can play anytime and not be disturbing. They are noisy, much like a tunable practice pad, but nowhere close to the real thing. They can be folded up and packed away, but it takes a little time. Make sure to label each wire to help with the ease of setting back up. It will take you about 15-25min to get everything set up/broken down (if you take it completely apart). The only other drawback is you're in a dorm and you'll have your fair share of traffic once word gets out. (Easy enough to handle though) It filled my "jones" when it wasn't possible to play the acoustic kit, and recently it's come in handy doing some very rough recordings of songs with a guitarist.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:43 AM

If you're decent with electronics you can also make your own e-drums. It's fantastically simple and you can find lots of instructions on-line.

However, I do not recommend you try to make your own e-cymbals unless you want very simple, single-zone sensitivity. Trust me, I tried, it's more work than it's worth.

Also, Roland just came out with a new compact e-kit. It's reviewed in the new Modern Drummer. Looks like it's good for short people :-P
Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 AM

yah u can make ur own, get practice pads or get a good electric mesh kit what keeps noise really down such as the great roland td-12