DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

Default Help with EMAD2

After years of playing an EMAD, I thought I would try out the double ply EMAD2. However, I have to tune it a little tighter than the regular EMAD in order to avoid that "plastic" slappy sound. At that point though it becomes rather "doinky" sounding. Adding additional muffling works but kills the volume. Adjusting the reso has little effect. Any of you guys experience this? How did you fix it?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2008, 02:12 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Help with EMAD2

I just got an EMAD2 and EQ1 Reso for my 22" bass and haven't had any problems with it at all. It's not plastic sounding like the EMAD I had before and not dead like the Powerstroke Fiberskyn heads I had after that. I've got it tuned sort of medium low right now which has a sustained sound with a moderate decay on it but doesn't have a plastic sound at low volumes. I've got the big ring in it now, at first I just had the little one but that was a bit too open. I would suggest changing reso heads if you are having problems. Perhaps you have too controlled of a reso head. The EQ1 is a great choice. Also, what kind of beater are you using as well?
Old 01-28-2008, 03:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
I just got an EMAD2 and EQ1 Reso for my 22" bass and haven't had any problems with it at all. It's not plastic sounding like the EMAD I had before and not dead like the Powerstroke Fiberskyn heads I had after that. I've got it tuned sort of medium low right now which has a sustained sound with a moderate decay on it but doesn't have a plastic sound at low volumes. I've got the big ring in it now, at first I just had the little one but that was a bit too open. I would suggest changing reso heads if you are having problems. Perhaps you have too controlled of a reso head. The EQ1 is a great choice. Also, what kind of beater are you using as well?

I've got an EMAD reso tuned fairly low (just above wrinkle) and the batter tuned a little tighter than I had before with the smaller dampening ring. My pedal is the pearl eliminator with the larger felt beater. After tinkering with it most of the day I've gotten a decent sound out of it. I just prefer the regular EMAD I guess. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:01 AM
Platinum Member

Batter just above wrinke point, reso ( stock Yamaha ) about a 3rd higher than the batter. ( I leave a towel not touching either head in the BD, which is a 22" Yamaha Absolute custom maple.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Pioneer Member

so you have a muffled reso head tuned low...that explains the lack of resonance try tuning it higher than the batter. I've noticed most bass drums sound pathetic when the reso isn't tight
Old 01-29-2008, 12:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
so you have a muffled reso head tuned low...that explains the lack of resonance try tuning it higher than the batter. I've noticed most bass drums sound pathetic when the reso isn't tight
I agree. The 2 ply EMAD needs to cranked up to sound good. When it's loose it lacks tone and sounds dead. If you use a drum dail 75 to 80 is a good starting point. Same for the reso head. That said, I usually run my reso head around five points higher if it's ported, and around the same tension as the batter if it's not.

HTH
Old 01-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Silver Member

I used an EMAD2 with the larger dampening ring with no muffling installed. Sounded very good but the plastic ring that holds the muffling ring in place cracked, so I bought a Superkick2, too boingy, bought an EMAD single ply, using the small dampening ring with the Evans internal muffler just touching the batter head..............real nice, great punch with just the right amount of resonance. Good luck