DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Silver Member

Default Dixon drums

This is mainly for the guys over seas in Europe. Ever played or seen Dixon drums? If so, what's your opinion. They're trying to come into the USA and I have the opportunity to carry them exclusively. I'm just wondering to what your thoughts are on them.

I carry their low to mid range hardware and the quality of that is good. They come out of the same factory as the Gibraltar hardware and supposedly, these Dixin drums come out of the same factory as Gretsch.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Dixon drums

I played one of their low end pedals and I was HIGHLY disappointed. Are they making high end drums or intermediate and starter drums?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Pioneer Member

They're very definitely budget drums, but i'd go for them over, say, CB drums. As an all inclusive package if the price is decent they'll always sell well.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
I played one of their low end pedals and I was HIGHLY disappointed. Are they making high end drums or intermediate and starter drums?
I can't imagine any $50 pedal is all that good. I think the 700 & 800 series hardware are good considering the price. Double braced, nylon bushings, good plating, etc. I can't say much about the pedals but the cymbal and snare stands are just fine.

Dixon seems to be making low to mid range drums. Aimed at the younger crowds. From the print and specs I've received, the mid range stuff seems pretty good.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:40 PM

Here's a couple of reviews I did last year, they might help...

http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=1255
http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=1236
Old 01-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Silver Member

Very helpful. THANKS!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't checked out their drums yet, but I have owned a throne and legless hi-hat stand for a few years now. I haven't had a problem with them. They seem to stand up to everyday use. I tried out one of the double pedals a while back and was surprised - nice feel for an inexpensive pedal (I didn't take notice to what model or series it was.)

Jeff
Old 01-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Drums View Post
This is mainly for the guys over seas in Europe. Ever played or seen Dixon drums? If so, what's your opinion. They're trying to come into the USA and I have the opportunity to carry them exclusively. I'm just wondering to what your thoughts are on them.

I carry their low to mid range hardware and the quality of that is good. They come out of the same factory as the Gibraltar hardware and supposedly, these Dixin drums come out of the same factory as Gretsch.

Thanks
I'm not in Europe (in fact, I'm in the US), but about 10 years ago, I worked at the local music store and we subscribed to St.Louis Music as one of our vendors.
SLM used to carry Dixon drums and accessories.
Those drums and the hardware associated with them where of the "generic" type.
They did market a little 13x3.5 snare drum that featured turret lugs for about $75, new.
They were quite popular with the younger drummers because they looked like DW, but were only about 1/2 the price.

AFAIK, that's Dixon's only dealing in this country, although I do not know if St.Louis Music carries them anymore.

Elvis
Old 01-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Pioneer Member

I see in the latest Rhythm edition that Dixon are releasing some high end snares, a bubinga 6.5" and one made of ceramic marble, which looks fascinating, although the ugly name tag ruins the look imo. That's retailing at 400 pounds, so they obviously have aspirations in the future for the top spec market.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:20 AM

my first drum kit was a Dixon Tempo.

very sturdy for a beginner kit and if you chucked some coated ambassadors on it you'd have a pretty decent sounding kit...or atleast thats what i thought of mine

Old 01-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

Nimby,

I don't know how long you've been playing, but I bet at some point in the future you'll be playing around with whatever kit(s) you own at that time and say to yourself, "I wish this sounded like my first kit...gee, I wish I'd never sold that one".

...We all go through it. At least your first kit had a name. =)

Elvis
Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Silver Member

Ok, I HAD to look it up, so....

NIMBY,

This ought to bring back some memories...

Dixon Tempo DX330 Drum Kit
Speed Music: Musical Instruments & PA Systems - A great deal for musicians...

Dixon Tempo Drumkit

Full size beginner drumkit, comes with 22" Bass Drum, 16" Floor Tom, 13" & 12" Toms, and 14" Snare Drum. Also included is a set of sticks, Hi-hat Cymbal, Crash Cymbal, cymbal stands and stool.

Comes in Black, Blue, and Red.

RRP 249.99

Price: 179.99 (Including VAT at 17.5%)

Found it at Speed Music

...you're welcome. =))

Elvis
Old 01-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Silver Member

...btw, first person who posts whatever's "wrong" with that picture, gets a free pair of drumsticks.

Elvis
Old 01-27-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
Nimby,

I don't know how long you've been playing, but I bet at some point in the future you'll be playing around with whatever kit(s) you own at that time and say to yourself, "I wish this sounded like my first kit...gee, I wish I'd never sold that one".

...We all go through it. At least your first kit had a name. =)

Elvis
luckily if that happens, i can just set it up and re-live all those great memories. ive decided not to sell it and use it as a gig kit because ive grown quite fond of it haha

Old 01-27-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:

NIMBY,

Dixon Tempo Drumkit

Full size beginner drumkit, comes with 22" Bass Drum, 16" Floor Tom, 13" & 12" Toms, and 14" Snare Drum. Also included is a set of sticks, Hi-hat Cymbal, Crash Cymbal, cymbal stands and stool.

RRP 249.99

Found it at Speed Music

...you're welcome. =))

Elvis
thats it alright. mine is red though, and im guessing would sound alot better than that one right now.

i have the 13" tom and snare lying around somewhere, most of the threaded inserts inside the lugs on the tom were sacrificed to the snare when i tried to get a decent sound out of it.

turns out you cant tighten the snare anywhere above just after wrinkle otherwise she busts.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2008, 11:03 AM

and my guess to what is wrong with that picture.....TOM ANGLES! holy beejesus they are horrible

Old 01-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

Nimby,

DOH! You got me!

Actually, your thinking is SPOT-ON, my brother.
I still feel the "best" kit for any working drummer are the generic variety.
Careful tuning and head choice will garner a decent sound that can work in the studio or live.
Wrap finish is bullet proof (compared to lacquer), and if you want a different look, all you need to do is rewrap the drum with a different finish.
Throw it in the back of the car or truck, spill beer on it all night, hide behind the bass drum in a bar fight, whatever. It'll work for you.
...and if it does break to the point that you can no longer use it....oh gee, you're out, what, maybe $300-$500? Less if you got it used.
I used a CB-700 during the 80's. That thing worked for Metal, Rock, Country, Jazz, whatever.
I've even got some old studio recordings of it and it came across just fine.
...and the sizes were similar to yours - 22/12/13/14/16/14x5 (chrome metal).

As for your snare drum woes, man, they must not be making them like they used to.
My first snare drum came from the Montgomery Wards catalogue (I know, "who?") and it looked just like yours.
I was able to put 3 full turns of all the rods on it and it held together.
...unless you're cranking it up even tighter?
I advise ANYONE to draw the limit at 3 turns, unless its a field snare.

What you're trying to do is quell the sustain of the shell by pulling the heads tighter and tighter.
I've been through it before, we've ALL been through it before.

Try this and see if it doesn't help you out...

Take the snare drum completely apart (and since you've replaced the nuts in the lugs, I'm sure you know how to completely disassemble your snare drum), until you're left with a bare shell.
Now grab some duct tape and stick ONE LAYER on the inside of the shell.
Poke holes in the tape where the various screws go through the shell and put the drum back together.
Now tune the heads to how you prefer them, not to how you had to have them, and see how you like it.
You'll notice the drum will take on a darker, DRIER and slightly mellower sound quality.
There'll still be some resonance, but you won't get that bright "metallic ringy" sound that it had before (that was the shell you were hearing).

Let me know if there's anything you don't get about what I described above, or, heck, send me the drum and I'll do it for ya (don't forget to send the duct tape, too).

Elvis
Old 01-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
and my guess to what is wrong with that picture.....TOM ANGLES! holy beejesus they are horrible
ROTFLMAO!

..but, nope. That wasn't what I was getting at.

Elvis
Old 01-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Silver Member

...btw, NIMBY, I have a 14x4 Pulse that's in brand new shape.
$40 + shipping and its yours.

Here's a pic. Please let me know if you're interested...

Elvis
Old 01-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

NIMBY,

Dixon Tempo Drumkit

RRP 249.99

Found it at Speed Music

...you're welcome. =))

Elvis
I first thought the tom angles were wrong too, but then I noticed the floor tom is upside down!!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Silver Member

THAT'S IT!

Drumr0 got it!

Send me your address and I'll get the sticks in the mail to you.

Elvis
gundorps@yahoo.com
Old 01-27-2008, 04:53 PM

Dixon doesn't have a very good reputation in North America. They have some decent hardware, some decent Asian maple snares, brass snares, generic Asian 5 piece kits, and DUKE by Dixon kits.

However, we don't see half of what Dixon makes in North America. They make some fine intermediate and professional drums for other markets. I don't know why North America doesn't see these kits in stores.

If the lower end stuff is the only items available to you, I wouldn't bother. There are better kits in that range for the money. But, if by chance you can get the better stuff from Dixon, I would jump all over it.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
THAT'S IT!

Drumr0 got it!

Send me your address and I'll get the sticks in the mail to you.

Elvis
gundorps@yahoo.com
Fantastic!! I can always use a new pair of sticks!! I wouldn't have noticed that if I didn't put a set of Gretsch Catalinas together the other day and was making sure I had the floor toms in the right direction! My DW's have rims mounts on the floor toms!
Old 01-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietysSorrow View Post
Dixon doesn't have a very good reputation in North America. They have some decent hardware, some decent Asian maple snares, brass snares, generic Asian 5 piece kits, and DUKE by Dixon kits.

However, we don't see half of what Dixon makes in North America. They make some fine intermediate and professional drums for other markets. I don't know why North America doesn't see these kits in stores.

If the lower end stuff is the only items available to you, I wouldn't bother. There are better kits in that range for the money. But, if by chance you can get the better stuff from Dixon, I would jump all over it.
I'm wondering if Dixon didn't see what happened to Sunlite a few years ago.
They were starting to make a small impact on the NA market, signing and advertising endorsee's and bringing the quality of their kits up at a fairly quick rate.
Then all of a sudden (for a reason unbeknownst to me) they stopped cold.
Sunlite is back to marketing generic kits, AFAIK.
Dixon may think that they would have (basically) the same luck breaking into the N.A. market and have decided to forego this country, in lieu of impacting foreign markets, instead (sort of the "big fish-small pond" theory).
...anyway, I would think if anyone in the USA wanted a nicer Asian kit, they'd probably go with Taye or Mapex, both of whom put out a very nice drum for not a lot of money, while offering the drummer something else besides "The Big 3 from Japan".

Elvis
Old 01-28-2008, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Nimby,

DOH! You got me!

Actually, your thinking is SPOT-ON, my brother.
I still feel the "best" kit for any working drummer are the generic variety.
Careful tuning and head choice will garner a decent sound that can work in the studio or live.
Wrap finish is bullet proof (compared to lacquer), and if you want a different look, all you need to do is rewrap the drum with a different finish.
Throw it in the back of the car or truck, spill beer on it all night, hide behind the bass drum in a bar fight, whatever. It'll work for you.
...and if it does break to the point that you can no longer use it....oh gee, you're out, what, maybe $300-$500? Less if you got it used.
I used a CB-700 during the 80's. That thing worked for Metal, Rock, Country, Jazz, whatever.
I've even got some old studio recordings of it and it came across just fine.
...and the sizes were similar to yours - 22/12/13/14/16/14x5 (chrome metal).

As for your snare drum woes, man, they must not be making them like they used to.
My first snare drum came from the Montgomery Wards catalogue (I know, "who?") and it looked just like yours.
I was able to put 3 full turns of all the rods on it and it held together.
...unless you're cranking it up even tighter?
I advise ANYONE to draw the limit at 3 turns, unless its a field snare.

What you're trying to do is quell the sustain of the shell by pulling the heads tighter and tighter.
I've been through it before, we've ALL been through it before.

Try this and see if it doesn't help you out...

Take the snare drum completely apart (and since you've replaced the nuts in the lugs, I'm sure you know how to completely disassemble your snare drum), until you're left with a bare shell.
Now grab some duct tape and stick ONE LAYER on the inside of the shell.
Poke holes in the tape where the various screws go through the shell and put the drum back together.
Now tune the heads to how you prefer them, not to how you had to have them, and see how you like it.
You'll notice the drum will take on a darker, DRIER and slightly mellower sound quality.
There'll still be some resonance, but you won't get that bright "metallic ringy" sound that it had before (that was the shell you were hearing).

Let me know if there's anything you don't get about what I described above, or, heck, send me the drum and I'll do it for ya (don't forget to send the duct tape, too).

Elvis
i will definetly try th duct tape idea, hopefully it will do wonders.

its so true what you said about the wrap being bulletproof. i took it to a houseparty for a gig and MANY people spilled beer on it.
when i got it home all it need was a wipe with a damp cloth and it was good as new.

and when i try to tune the snare drum i get about 2 turns in before the lugs start squeaking horribly.
ive tried putting vaseline in the threads to try and smoothen the process but no luck.
i might just by the decent lugs for it instead of busting them all the time.

and as to your snare drum offer, i wish i could buy that but i really cant afford it right now,
i pretty much cant afford anything right now! haha car troubles and being on an unpaid holiday are to blame.
thanks for the offer and maybe if you still have it in a few weeks, i could take it off your hands.

-NIMBY

Old 01-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

Nimby,

Yeah, those generics can definately take a lickin'.
I've left mine in the back of my p/u, overnight (sometimes in the rain) before unloading them and they still worked fine.
Gotta hand it to the Asians. If nothing else, they do know how to produce a reliable drumkit for not a lot of dinero.

As for your tuning woes, I've always noticed 2 turns is starting to get up there with the tension.
On top of that, if you're using twin ply heads, they put more stress on the hardware than a single ply head will.
You have to understand, its a DRUM. It's supposed to sound "hollow", to some degree.
This is going to be especially apparent with a thin shelled drum, such as your snare drum (shell is only about 1.6mm thick)....and that's where the duct tape comes in.

Have you ever looked through The Drum Tuning Bible?
Here's the link, maybe that'll help ya', too...

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

As for the snare drum offer, I've had that drum for a couple of years now.
I don't think its going anywhere, anytime soon.

Please get ahold of me, when the funds are available to you and if you're still interested at that time.
E-mail me, if you like - gundorps@yahoo.com

Elvis
Old 01-28-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Nimby,

As for your tuning woes, I've always noticed 2 turns is starting to get up there with the tension.
On top of that, if you're using twin ply heads, they put more stress on the hardware than a single ply head will.
You have to understand, its a DRUM. It's supposed to sound "hollow", to some degree.
This is going to be especially apparent with a thin shelled drum, such as your snare drum (shell is only about 1.6mm thick)....and that's where the duct tape comes in.

Have you ever looked through The Drum Tuning Bible?
Here's the link, maybe that'll help ya', too...

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

Elvis
i have gone through the tuning bible many, many times and have found it extremely useful.

its just that, i really dont think this snare could even handle a single ply head, it really is the weakest part of the kit.
i will still give your duct tape method a go,
but i really dont expect anything positive to ever come from that snare.

and if in a couple of weeks i have enough moolah,
i will certainly take that snare off of your hands!

-NIMBY

Old 01-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
...and if in a couple of weeks i have enough moolah,
i will certainly take that snare off of your hands!

-NIMBY
Really?!

Sound great!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for helping me out.

Elvis
Old 01-30-2008, 05:54 PM

I stopped by Dixon Drums' booth at the NAMM Show 2 weeks ago to check them out. I played the set-- solid craftsmanship with nice appointments, and then asked the guy at the booth when they were being released. He said they were getting the line ready for a US release so I think any day we will start to see the sets popping up in stores. Rumor has it that they will be awarded NAMM's "Best in Show". Anyway, their myspace page is www.myspace.com/dixondrums if you want to check out the new kits.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

I will say that Elvis is a man of his word. He sent me a very nice pair of Zildjian Hal Blaine signature sticks. They are very light and well balanced. I usually play a 7a so these will be perfect for me.

Just wanted to say Thanks!!
Old 01-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Silver Member

Looks like Dixon is indeed gearing up to take a stab at the upper end market.

I just did a google search and came up with..

...the soon to be active...

WWW.PlayDixon.com

...and the already active...

WWW.DixonDrumHardware.com

I hope they do well and wish them all the luck.

Elvis
Old 01-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumr0 View Post
I will say that Elvis is a man of his word. He sent me a very nice pair of Zildjian Hal Blaine signature sticks. They are very light and well balanced. I usually play a 7a so these will be perfect for me.

Just wanted to say Thanks!!
Hey, you got 'em....and in one piece!
You're welcome, I'm glad you're enjoying them.

....that'll be $137.86, please. Small current bills will be just fine.

=)) (just kidding!)

Elvis
Old 09-21-2008, 03:48 PM

I am glad to see them making changes. Dixon is a good brand and does deserve to be recognized. However, I think they need to put more information on their new website though.

Quote:
Looks like Dixon is indeed gearing up to take a stab at the upper end market.

I just did a google search and came up with..

...the soon to be active...

WWW.PlayDixon.com

...and the already active...

WWW.DixonDrumHardware.com

I hope they do well and wish them all the luck.

Elvis
Old 09-21-2008, 05:33 PM

they have dixon rototoms at a music store by my house, they sound pretty good too.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumr0 View Post
.....but then I noticed the floor tom is upside down!!
Might be "wrong" in some books, but not mine. I ran my Luddies (16 and 18) upside down to get them lower. Old school trick.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Might be "wrong" in some books, but not mine. I ran my Luddies (16 and 18) upside down to get them lower. Old school trick.

Does that mean that drumr0 has to give Elvis his sticks back?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:16 PM

I noticed the upside down floor tom too, but that's not necessarily "wrong."
I thought you were referring to the fact that there is nothing holding up the toms....
Unless Casper is chillin out with some drums now...
Could happen...
Old 09-27-2008, 02:16 AM

The closest drum store to me, Pro Sound in Bloomington, IL, had a set of Dixon drums on the floor a couple weeks ago when I was in there. I didn't look at them very close, but the finish was cool. It was like a matte finish, kind of grayish. The bass drum seemed pretty deep too if I remember right. I was too busy drooling over the Yamaha Maple Customs to remember any other details.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
I see in the latest Rhythm edition that Dixon are releasing some high end snares, a bubinga 6.5" and one made of ceramic marble, which looks fascinating, although the ugly name tag ruins the look imo. That's retailing at 400 pounds, so they obviously have aspirations in the future for the top spec market.
Ceramic marble? Cool. A drum made of stone. The closest thing would be a drum made of clay and I have a few hand drums of clay. A stone drum would be freaky.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:12 PM

Dixon is getting bigger in Europe. After looking through their website, it seems that they have more lines in Europe than in USA. Outlaw, Demon, Chaos Vs. Artisan, Outlaw, Predator, Demon and chaos. I think it's a terrific drum line and great quality. The only problem is that they seem to be slow in updating its hardware.