DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 01-25-2008, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

Default RMV drums anyone?

I could have sworn this has been discussed on this forum before (if not a member's kit in the gear forum), but a search turned up nothing.

Have any of you heard of RMV drums from Brazil? A friend of mine told me last night that they bought one of these kits for his wife, and that it is really sweet. They are made from Brazilian maple, which is harder and denser than North American maple. I'm trying to get some pics from him to show you guys.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:04 AM
Colonel Bat Guano

Default Re: RMV drums anyone?

There was a thread, but a long time ago. I think RMV had distribution in the U.S. for about five minutes in 2006. I don't think they're easily available right now.

The shells have re-rings. The hardware fittings are made out of some kind of composite. Someone here had an RMV kit. Seemed like really nice shells with hardware that takes some getting used to.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

You might be able to get info here http://www.bentleysdrumshop.com/drums/rmv/rmv.html and yes, the story I remember was they lost their distributor in the US in 2007. Really cool drums. I've seen them in the past at the NAMM show, but not this year. Excellent drums for what they were asking.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:51 AM

I played RMV drums a couple of years ago in a local drum shop and they were good drums. They had a very high quality sound and several different size and color options. They were not too expensive. The only thing I didn't like was that the wrapped finishes seemed too "cheap", they were coming loose so I wouldn't go for the wrap. Also, all the adjustments required a drum key-some may not mind this but I found it to be a pain in the neck. They may have changed these features on the current models, I don't know for sure.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the info. I remember him saying her kit was red with black hardware. I see on that linked page there is a cherry to black lacquer and a raw red oil finish. I love the cherry to black finish. Beautiful. My friend lives in Chicago now, so no chance of seeing it in person. Hopefully they have some pics and maybe a clip of her playing.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:22 AM
nhzoso

I think they are out of business now. I remember seeing a set of these on Craigslist about a year ago for $1100 and Thinking man they look nice but I was skeptical of whatever wood they were using.

Well just last month the drum shop in Portland, ME had 4-5 brand new 5pc RMV kits for $500 or best offer...The hardware was a joke though. A drum key to raise or lower a Tom???

Last edited by nhzoso; 01-25-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
The hardware was a joke too. A drum key to raise or lower a Tom???
My old Premier set had a key adjustment to raise or lower the rack tom mount (the main rod that went into the bass drum). The actual ball socket and mounts on the tom itself were wing bolts though. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to replace key bolts with wing bolts if it were that big of a deal. I have one memory lock with a wing bolt on it because the old female key bolt was missing. It works the same.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
I think they are out of business now. I remember seeing a set of these on Craigslist about a year ago for $1100 and Thinking man they look nice but I was skeptical of whatever wood they were using.

Well just last month the drum shop in Portland, ME had 4-5 brand new 5pc RMV kits for $500 or best offer...The hardware was a joke too. A drum key to raise or lower a Tom???

They aren't out of business, they drop their distribution in the US but they are still sold in Canada. Member Tyr here has one of them and you can look at his vids to hear how great they sound. Most RMV shell are Bapeva which is sometime referred as brazilian maple.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Silver Member

rmv drums are apperintly a great buy for the money! Just like peace, I believe!

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 01-26-2008, 02:13 AM

I love my RMVs! I wish they would continue their distribution here in North America, I'd love to get a 20" Bass drum!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At0xDxaDnU8

And a little clip so you can hear how they sound. In no way are they or the hardware a "joke". I actually prefer the hardware on them, I like the way there aren't any wing nuts on anything, looks nice and sleek! :-)
Old 01-26-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr View Post

And a little clip so you can hear how they sound. In no way are they or the hardware a "joke". I actually prefer the hardware on them, I like the way there aren't any wing nuts on anything, looks nice and sleek! :-)
Dude, Beautiful sounding kit and Great! playing...

Peace!
Old 01-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I love my RMVs! I wish they would continue their distribution here in North America, I'd love to get a 20" Bass drum!
I'd say they look and sound pretty great.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Platinum Member

I will be in Sao Paulo next month, I'll have to hit a drum shop or two and check them out.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 01-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

I Think RMV were at NAMM 2008 so they may restart they north american distribution soon.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-27-2008, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Big fan of Marco Minneman eh? Very cool kit and really comfortable looking.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:

i think you could have a few more pedals do you have two pedals that play the bass drum. ( one dubble and one regular)
Old 01-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

Great sounding drums, I love the finish. Your playing is outstanding!!

Animal Life Savers
Old 02-14-2008, 06:11 PM

Wow, I'm late to pop back in on this, I haven't been around this forum too much.

Thanks for all the kind words and I'm glad you guys like the sound of the drums. Let's just hope they begin shipping to North America again!

I have yet to see another RMV kit in person, It's hard enough to find them on the internet!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:42 PM

If you want to see/hear more of them, here are mine.

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26731

I recorded that right after I got them, and except for some minor tweaking that was how they sounded right out of the box. Not really in tune, but still sounded really good, and now tuned up with coated heads on them they're king. Everybody likes the look of the black hardware too.

They did stop US distribution, but you can still find some around, and I think they'll be back at some point.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
If you want to see/hear more of them, here are mine.
They look and sound nice. I am a fan of black hardware. I only wish my rack were black as well, to match my hardware.

My friend told me he should have some songs up with his wife's RMV kit soon. I can't wait.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:46 PM

Cool...finally an RMV thread! I don't think people know how great they sound and play until they spend some time behind the kit and give them a test run. One thing I really love about these drums is that they never choke, even under heavy hitting. Hope they can get their US distribution back.

Here is one of my RMV kits, black sparkle, 24x12x16. There's no Photoshop effect, when I took this pic last week I got all kinds of crazy visual feedback...they actually look like they're smokin'!

Hey Try, very nice maple kit! I have an extra 18x20 bass in natural maple if you're interested. I'll shoot you a PM with some pics.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2008, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member

Ya, I was gonna say your kick looks like it's smokin'! heheh I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to play one, but I hope. My friend invited us up to Chicago to do some shows with them, but I'm not sure if that will ever happen.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:52 PM

Hello, im new here. I love the appearance of RMV, I got a brochure of the RMV/X5 special edition drumsets a few years ago. I been playing with a Peavey 751 pro series Kit pretty much alone in the garage now since 2002. They no longer sell peavey drums though so I sold it last year for dirt cheap. The peavey kit also had some issues. The Rims tended to come unglued and fell off of all the shells. I reglued them and was ok, but,it may have affected the sound some! I also had to adjust the toms height and angles with a drum key. Also, all other hardware was ajusted only by a key for the most part. Im looking for a cheap kit to start playing again if anyone knows of one, Thanks. Heres a pic of my drums.

Peace out.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
Cool...finally an RMV thread! I don't think people know how great they sound and play until they spend some time behind the kit and give them a test run. One thing I really love about these drums is that they never choke, even under heavy hitting. Hope they can get their US distribution back.

Here is one of my RMV kits, black sparkle, 24x12x16. There's no Photoshop effect, when I took this pic last week I got all kinds of crazy visual feedback...they actually look like they're smokin'!

Hey Try, very nice maple kit! I have an extra 18x20 bass in natural maple if you're interested. I'll shoot you a PM with some pics.
Man, awesome set up, I wanna grow up just like you. Hehe.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:22 PM

Tyr,

What type of evan head is that on the snare?
Old 05-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

RMV drums are probably one of THE scores on eBay right now. Because of no distributorship here in the US and/or North America, people are gun shy to buy them. Really sweet drums.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:39 PM

I have a set on ebay right now for sale! Theyre great drums I'm just not around to play them and I need the cash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RMV-Drums-4-Piec...QQcmdZViewItem

If any of you are seriously interested we can work something out through ebay or out of ebay. Email me at favilaem@gmail.com if interested.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:32 PM

Whats up guys. Seen a few videos of Tyr on Youtube ... phenominal drummer. I am a proud new owner of an RMV kit. I purchased my 7pc shell pack from a CA dealer for $800 shipping included. They were used but in mint perfect condition. Basically the same color and configuration as Tyr's kit but without all the extra effects and pedals. I can honestly say I have been blown away by the sound quality. Even with the stock 2-ply RMV Dou heads these drums sound GREAT period. I have only gigged twice so far but I had some really nice compliments from the sound techs at both shows. My previous kit was a DDRUM Ash with a 20x24 kick. This RMV is almost as powerful. No issues whatsoever with tuning and the drum key adjustments don't bother me in the slightest. Anyway ... all I have are these really bad pictures for now. I'll be sure to get better ones at my next show.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Politics

I live in Brazil almost full time. Brazilians have a strange way of doing business IMO.
In Brazil right now, there's a lot of negative criticism about Americas involvement with the Iraq war. Many Brazilian companies including RMV are cutting off their distribution to the USA because of this.
There are some nightclubs here in Rio that will not allow entry of Americans as well.
I sometimes marvel at the stupidity of some companies, they won't do business with some American companies and then later when their company closes, they can't figure what happened!
DUH!
Old 09-11-2008, 05:33 AM

Latest pics of my RMV kit set up in my ghetto sound studio. I just found a drum shop going out of business online and he had some new RMV hardware sitting in his shop. i picked up 3 cymbal booms, a hi-hat stand and a snare stand .. all in powder coated black for less than $400. I'll be getting it this week and most of my chrome stands will be replaced. I'll post more from a gig i have on the 19th of September all mic'ed up on the stage with the black hardware. I also just picked up 17" and 18" Paiste Signature Full crashes so hopefully I am done spending $$ for a while ... yeah right. I wouldn't mind a set of nice maple snare hoops for my 14x5.5 snare. It's a firecracker and i would like to mellow it out just a little and give it some warmth. I would rank these RMV's up above Tama Starclassic maples or Gretsch Renown maples. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Yes, way cool drums. Love that light natural finish. When this thread was started, lots of these drums were hitting eBay at super low prices. I think the supply has pretty much dried up now. We may, or may not, ever see them distributed in the US again. Your kit is a keeper for sure.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:57 PM

Absolutely... I love mine. Great sound and projection.

Here's a thread with more pics and info on my kit:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=43349
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2008, 06:38 PM
-tarek-
This message has been deleted by -tarek-.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Platinum Member

Very nice kit. Love the layout as well. I so need a gong drum.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesmithfan View Post
I live in Brazil almost full time. Brazilians have a strange way of doing business IMO.
In Brazil right now, there's a lot of negative criticism about Americas involvement with the Iraq war. Many Brazilian companies including RMV are cutting off their distribution to the USA because of this.

I sometimes marvel at the stupidity of some companies, they won't do business with some American companies and then later when their company closes, they can't figure what happened!
DUH!
This is the "politics" I was elluding to, HEH, about no US distributor. I've heard this elsewhere also. RMV pulled the plug themselves.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:44 PM
trkdrmr

Default Re: Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
This is the "politics" I was elluding to, HEH, about no US distributor. I've heard this elsewhere also. RMV pulled the plug themselves.
That's sad. It's like the 1980 Moscow olympics. It punishes those that don't make policy or have anything to do with the government decisions, as controversial as they may have been. I wish our Brazilian friends would not be upset with all Americans. We are after all, drummers, not politicians.

RMV makes excellent hardware, especially for the money. It's very cool in black and rugged. The wood they used in the studio drums had monsterous projection and excellent tone for the price of an intermediate. The drums they make are great looking, great sounding and great for the money, no downsides at all, IMO.
They were *just* gaining popularity.

I hope with a new administration in the USA, that Brazil will re-open distribution. I would have loved an RMV kit. They could have been a dominant force in the intermediate to high end market because the drums sound just that good. They were the best kept secret in drums.

Last edited by trkdrmr; 10-24-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

I would love to have an RMV kit. It's a shame they pulled US distribution. My work may take me to Brazil one day, and if that is the case, I'll bring back some RMV kits for all. Muahahahahah! It'd be like prohibition. hahah

You see me on a street corner in a trench coat, I open up the coat, and RMV drum shells start falling out. Doh!
Old 12-18-2008, 05:19 AM

Here in Mexico, RMV's are catching on, big time. Most of the used drums that are being sold are RMV's (not because they're bad, though, mostly because of the dire economic situation around the globe) or Pearls. IF you are considering buying RMV drums, conider this:
a) You are paying an extreme amount of money for their products, and
b)They're awesome.
As of now, I own an RMV Concept X7, with 10", 12", 14" and 16" toms, 22" bass drum, and a 14" snare drum. I've only heard one bass drum that sounded better than mine in my life (a 22" DW) The sound is bright, melodic and...well, beautiful, to sum it up.
Also, if you are from the USA, consider travelling south of the border to buy your kit. My kit cost around $650 USD. Over at the USA, they cost at least double. Or, you can have them shipped. It still costs less than US price.

As of pictures, they'll be up sometime during the week.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:41 AM
Platinum Member

Here's a 6 pc. kit on eBay (in my favorite finish) for $799.....plus $125 for shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=006
Old 01-23-2009, 10:52 AM

RMV indeed... :) We're small in numbers, but after playing them and hearing their capabilities, I'd say we're pretty loyal.

Here's a few pics of my kit (I'll add them to my gear thread as well.)
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2009, 11:13 PM

I too am a fellow RMV lover
I first got my kit back around 2006

I love this kit, its my studio baby and the only kit i will ever use in a studio.

I actually bought a ddrum AMX kit that is a copy of it to use live because I dont want to risk the RMV's getting damaged.

my kit is the red finish with black hardware, every studio i have gone to has always complimented how big and punchy the bass drum sounds, and everyone whos helped me set it up for gigs is always blown away by how LIGHT the bass drum is, it weighs nothing!!

you can check out some clips of the kit from my studio recordings here:
http://www.myspace.com/zenithdrums

those were all recorded using my RMV's.