DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-26-2015, 03:55 AM

Default Little help with Ludwig dating, please.

Just picked up a Ludwig 5 piece with the infamous cortex wrap. To be honest I really like the color and wrap. It reminds me of the kit I played in my youth many years ago. Size is 24x14, 16x16, 13x9 and 12x8. Came with a very nice Acrolite 14" snare. I tore the kit down for a good cleaning.

The drums are 3 ply with re-rings. The spurs are thinner like those in the early 70's. The badge's have pointed ends.

The SN on the floor tom is 1579980 and all SN's are within a few numbers of each other, even the snare.

I also acquired a bunch of hardware, ZBT's, sticks and other goodies.

Also included in the deal were some old but rather nice cymbals. It's was dark in the garage but I figured they were b20. See YouTube link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=DlET1XB4FRM

My guess is 1976 on the drums and 1960's for the cymbals.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2015, 04:32 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Little help with Ludwig dating, please.

I'd be willing to bet the same. Beautilful kit you have there! Too bad they painted the insides black.

I'm going to guess probably pre-'76 on the drums. Because I think around '77 or so, they began introducing the bigger curved spurs. I saw Buddy Rich with modular hardware in 1978, before the 1980 Ludwig catalog came out. I can't speak for the cymbals though.

I consider myself lucky to have been able to buy a new Ludwig kit in 2013, with curved spurs from that era. Basically my kit is your kit, just new. There are no other manufacturers who can provide an era-specific kits now.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:14 AM

Yea, I was disappointed to see the black paint. But if the mood hits me I'll fix that. Right now my job is killing me, but it pays for my bad habits. Maybe this winter I'll clean that paint off.

Going to stop by my favorite drum shop on Monday and pick up all new heads.

Video of my bad playing and poor audio recording to follow.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

Nice kit. It will be tedious to remove the black paint but there are paint removing products that will remove it. One product that works well is a gel that is applied. Cloth is then placed over the gel for a time period. When the cloth is peeled away the wood will be bare.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Nice kit. It will be tedious to remove the black paint but there are paint removing products that will remove it. One product that works well is a gel that is applied. Cloth is then placed over the gel for a time period. When the cloth is peeled away the wood will be bare.
I have a few different paint removing products in the garage. But I'm not sure if the paint effects the sound or not. I'll just have to listen to them after putting new heads on them. The black doesn't bother me. I like G2 coated heads so no one will notice anyway.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

I have a late sixties ludwig kit. It is a 6 piece. All of the drums have clear interiors except for the 14" floor tom which has white paint inside from the factory because it is a 1966.
The tone is slightly different on the white painted drum than the clear coated drums. At first I thought that it was my imagination but I can plainly hear it in close mic recordings. The tone is slightly more mellow.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I have a late sixties ludwig kit. It is a 6 piece. All of the drums have clear interiors except for the 14" floor tom which has white paint inside from the factory because it is a 1966.
The tone is slightly different on the white painted drum than the clear coated drums. At first I thought that it was my imagination but I can plainly hear it in close mic recordings. The tone is slightly more mellow.
Thanks for the info. I also have 1968 super classics. All have painted white interiors and sound pretty good. I noticed the black paint on these 70's drums is a little rough. They may require a light sanding, at a minimum.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member

The pointy badge started in 1968. But on 24" and larger kicks, Ludwig was using double straight "nail" spurs. I have a 1969 Luddy 24" kick, and it has those. I think they went to the curved spur, on the larger sizes, in 1970. Ludwig switched to 6 ply shells, in 1976. So that's my ballpark, '70 to '76. Sometime in '76, they switched to the 6 ply shell.
this site has a ton of info. http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/ludwig.html