DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 01-26-2008, 02:31 AM

Default Alternate jobs?

What are jobs you could do other than drums?
Old 01-26-2008, 02:43 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Jobs Thread

If I wasn't a musician, I would TOTALLY be a chef. My passion for food has always been as intense as my passion for music, and my passion for food definitely came first. I have always loved cooking and have had varying degrees of success, ranging from "freakin' awesome" to "well...edible" to "let's go get some Chinese".

I think I would also enjoy being a writer of some sort. I hate doing research so I don't think heavy non-fiction books would be my bag, but maybe some sort of journalism covering art, food, entertainment, whatever.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:06 AM
Gold Member

wow i could go on forever with things I would like to do at some point.
but if I can spend my life making a living off the following, I will be extremely happy:
drumming and/or audio engineering
aerospace engineer (but working/owning an engineering contracting firm specializing in effecient design)
professional skiier (well, at least until I'm about 35 and out of my prime)

other things I wouldn't mind doing would be writing (Modern Drummer???), psychology, philosophy, pilot, teacher

many people say I should be a diplomat, lawyer, or politician because of my writing and oratory techniques, but I don't really want to be any of those.

I'm hoping I can have the ultimate fusion of things going for me next year. I'll probably end up at Arizona State majoring in Aerospace engineering and sustainability, and there's a variety of drum and music stores in Tempe/Phoenix (including MassMusic), so that would be amazing. And my #2 college choice has campuses in two areas with small-but-lively towns with good music scenes.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:13 AM
fourstringdrums

I'd love to be able to cook. I'm addicted to the show Good Eats on the Food Network...Alton Brown is my idol. Though I watch and learn more about it than actually attempt. I do it a tiny bit and thankfully most of it doesn't come out that bad but it's nothing above average. I've had my share of disasters but lately the things I've made haven't been that bad.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:19 AM
Pioneer Member

Guitarist...

I think it would be amazing being a Vacation critic.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:31 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Brain surgeon or crossing guard.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:24 AM
nhzoso

Golf course Ranger.... or maybe a Police officer in Henderson, NV : )
Old 01-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I'm on my way to doing what I want, being a Studio Sound Engineer or a Mastering Engineer or even a Producer. Failing that, I wouldn't mind being a Music Teacher or even a Soundtrack Composer. Most of the music I write seems to be appropriate for film.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Golf course Ranger.... or maybe a Police officer in Henderson, NV : )
lol
Old 01-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

Currently.. I own a business. "Painting" Residencial & Commercial.

Previous to that... I was an aircraft inspector for the Federal Aviation Administration. (2 years)

Previous to that.. I was a Trauma Tech in the trauma center of a local hospital. (6 years)

Previous to that.. I was a Pharmacy Tech. (1 year)

Previous to that.. I was Chef/Kitchen Manager at a local restaurant. (2 years)

Previous to that.. I was in the US Navy, "Flight Deck Director" on the nuclear aircraft carrier USS George Washington (CVN-73) (3 years)

Thats my resume... and yes, I get bored quickly.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Pioneer Member

I would probably go into the music business. If I didn't have music, I would literally be doing nothing and would probably be stuck working at staples or some dead end job.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Alternate jobs?

lol..im the same as rendezvous_drummer. i would die with out music. but here are my plans ine life.(not in least to greatest order...just random)

Pilot(any type. big, small, military..etc.)
Aircraft Mechanic(dido)
Marine Sniper(would never do that..but it would be cool)
and this isnt one of my things, but my dad owns the Monument dealer in our town, and i could easily do that...
those are just some of them.

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 01-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Tattoo removal artist and Bait Shop owner.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

1. advertising
2. music composer
3. artist/cartoonist
4. juggler
5. breeder of showdogs ( boxers) and aquarium fish
6. filmmaker

...ooh I could have been a contender..sigh...
Old 01-28-2008, 02:41 PM

I currently run my own business, operating a transport/removals service across the UK.
Before that, I spent 27 years working for other people as a Litho Printer.
Some of the jobs I have had since leaving school include electroplater, trainee computer engineer, bingo caller, cook in a KFC, and shop assistant selling curtains and nets in a local department store.
Quite a mix!

Roy.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Tattoo removal artist and Bait Shop owner.

lmao. The funny thing about this thread is I think tak22 was asking seriously about plausible career ideas for himself should he not make it as a drummer. He's certainly got some greaat ideas. I'll add fluffer to the list.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member

I was a cook for ten years. I learned a lot of cool stuff, met a lot of cool people, but by the time I became a father I had really had enough. My first Father's Day was my last day in a kitchen. The last restaurant I worked in was Alex Patoux's (owned by the same person). I'm not sure how he ranks today, but at one time I was told he was one of the top 25 chefs in America. I still love to cook at home. It allows me the time to experiment and cook great meals without all the stress. That stint ended just a few years ago.

I decided I needed a job that gave me holidays, weekends, and nights off (something foreign to me as long as I had been a cook). I became a screen printer. That was a really cool job. I did that for a year and a half, but the pay was even worse than being a cook.

For the last two and a half years I have been working as a painter. This is fun too. Not as much fun as being a printer, but the pay is much better and I get to be outside a LOT. Which is very nice. Also get to be in a different location on a regular basis, which is also very nice. In fact, for the last month and a half or so I've been basically working for myself. It's a little more stressful than being a side kick, but the pay is better and getting full credit for the long hours I've been putting in is great too. I'm hoping I can keep the work coming in so I can stay solo.

I really enjoy working by myself and for myself. Right now I am working on a remodel house. I'm in the middle of staining and varnishes six sixteen foot long three piece exposed beams that will be hung on the ceiling in their living room. I spent the majority of the day sanding and staining (the mill did a real butcher job with the planer- but I made 'em smooth as my baby's but). Tomorrow I will put the first coat of marine varnish on. I can't wait. Wednesday the carpenters come back to assemble and hang them, and Thursday I'll be putting the last coat of varnish on. There is a bunch of other stuff I'll be doing and have already done in this home (this is my sixth or seventh week), but this is by far my favorite project on this whole job. I love doing stain work.

During the ten years I worked as a cook, I tried a few other things. My first job was a buggy pusher at a grocery store. I've worked in a clothing department store which was so not my thing. I've worked for a piano tech, helping with the transport of pianos (very fun). I've done some side work as a web programmer. I remember working at a vet office for a couple days but that didn't work out for me. There may be a couple I've forgotten. Cooking, printing, and painting have all been the main jobs in my life- the ones I stuck with the longest (longer than 1yr). They are all artistic too. Go figure.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
lmao. The funny thing about this thread is I think tak22 was asking seriously about plausible career ideas for himself should he not make it as a drummer. He's certainly got some greaat ideas. I'll add fluffer to the list.
I'm actually not even trying to get in the music buisiness. After studying a bit on music buisiness and how it works etc. decided that it would be fun, but I wouldn't be able to do stuff I wanted to do. I love drumming but doesn't mean I have to be a drummer to make money. I practice hard so if in the future I want to be a drummer, then I have options.