DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-06-2015, 04:50 PM

Default iDrumTuning my Stage Customs

Hi guys

Just spent a few hours tuning my kit using my newly downloaded iDrumTune app. Not knowing where to start I did a little Googling and found some "starter for ten" suggested frequencies for the 10, 12 and 16" toms. The snare I took the fundamental frequency by ear as to how I thought it fitted together with the rest of the kit.

Here's a little video I shot post tuning to share my thoughts. It's 4 minutes of your life that you'll never get back but hey, some may find it of interest. :)

http://youtu.be/-7v-IHKx07U

Apologies for having the video the wrong way up. I found it was easier to hold whilst using a stick in my right hand.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: iDrumTuning my Stage Customs

Good Stuff.

One of the things that helped me develop my tuning was to re-tension from scratch once every week or two to force myself to adapt and learn. It's been a neat transition, in that I used to use the tune-app to tune, then I used it to check my work, and now I use it only when I'm curious and want to document my tuning.

Tuning is one of those things that appears to take some experience, and I guess my tip would be to try to force yourself to do it with regularity so that you get that experience sooner rather than later. You won't develop a preference or ear if you use the same tuning every day/week/month, so change it up and enjoy.

Peace, Love, and Goodwill.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:34 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Hey Mart,

I like the 12 and 16 a lot, but the 10 sounds off to me. The rest of the kit sounds real nice IMO. The 10 can sound better I'd bet. I'd try tuning the reso higher. But nice job, you have a good drum tone, congratulations. I couldn't get a good tone until my first great set which was 13 years after I started playing in 1969 at age 10. So you got that going for you.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:50 PM

Thanks for your comments guys - much appreciated. Yes Larry I can see what you're saying on the 10". I have to say that it sounds better in the flesh so to speak.

I'm sure, as my experience grows, I'll get them all sounding better.

Well, I hope so anyway.

:)
Old 06-10-2015, 04:57 PM

Nice going Mart.

It takes time and patience to tune drums, and you have made a big step by getting started. Apps like the iDrumTuner, and the TuneBot can help, but over time you also will get better at tuning by ear, as you learn what works, and what you like.

I sometimes use a TuneBot for calibration and quickly getting back to specific tunings, but I often find that fine-tuning by ear is needed to eliminate that high-pitched little ringing 'wowowowow' sound that comes out when lugs are tuned close, but not quite close enough. I hear a little of that in your toms (and in my snare too, haha - must sort that out...)

Anyway, Bravo for getting stuck in, and also for not using any tape or moongel yet! I remember when I first started tuning at about age 13, I made too much use of tape and fabrics as external dampeners! It is tempting to dampen them down, but very satisfying to make them sing! So well done for that.

Welcome to the lifetime journey of learning to tune drums :-)
Old 06-10-2015, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Hey Mart,

I like the 12 and 16 a lot, but the 10 sounds off to me. The rest of the kit sounds real nice IMO. The 10 can sound better I'd bet. I'd try tuning the reso higher. But nice job, you have a good drum tone, congratulations. I couldn't get a good tone until my first great set which was 13 years after I started playing in 1969 at age 10. So you got that going for you.
Good effort Marty, & I agree with Larry. The 10" is flat by comparison to the other drums. Keep the batter head the same, but crank the resonant head up a touch. Try a 1/4 turn of each screw at a time, & you'll find a point where the drum starts to deliver more tone.

As a side issue, lift the tension of the front bass drum head a bit too :)
Old 06-10-2015, 06:33 PM

Thanks Andy. I'll give your suggestions a go. Having spent a little time behind the kit I must admit that I'm not happy with the 10".

I'll tweet the bass too whilst there.