DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-22-2008, 08:44 PM

Default Evans vs Remo Drumheads

I'm currently using a coated Evans EMAD head on my bass drum and am thinking of trying the Remo Powerstroke 3. I've only played it on other kits and not my own and would like opinions of your experiences of using both bass drum heads on your kits.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:51 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Evans vs Remo Drumheads

I'd take a coated Powerstroke 3 over the EMAD and I'm an Evans guy too for the most part. The PS3 is more open and has nice even attack. I found the EMAD to be too round and too focused sounding for me. I felt that the attack changed unless my strokes were 100% even, which for me is a problem.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Pioneer Member

I can recommend a EMAD 2. I had an EMAD a while ago and disliked i. Then I got Remo Fiberskyn Powerstrokes and the bass drum was dead altogether. Now I have EMAD 2 /EQ1 Coated Reso and its brilliant. Lots more low-end, round attack and tone here. I'm not sure why, but the EMAD2 is better than the EMAD.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Also the EQ1 Coated batter side. I have it on my 26" drum and it's great. It's very similar to a Powerstroke head but one of the rings comes out if you wanted it more open sounding. If it works this well on a 26" I'm sure it will work on anything.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Pioneer Member

I have recently switched from the EMAD2 to the PS3. I still like the the EMAD2. I usually run it with the small dampening ring, and sometimes without the ring.

The PS3 is a more open sounding head and has a more lively feel than the EMAD2. It seems to be a louder head as well.

The single ply EMAD had a plastic slappy sound on a 22, but sounded nice on a 20.

One other point for Remo is that on the drum dial all the rods tensioned up very evenly. With Aquarian and Evans I usually had a couple of rods that had to be tensioned up more than the other rods. That's not to say that the heads didn't sound good because they did, but that bugged me.

After all these years, and a lot of experimentation I'm still a fan of Remo. Evans comes in at a close second.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:48 PM

i really love the firbe skins on my toms and bass drum but snare wise ive had some problems...i really liked the sound it gave but the skin wrinkled and ripped as a result of this while i was playing brushes... it still sounded good but ive switched to the evans J1 for snare and its all good now!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Mystic

I have the PS3 and it is a great drum head. but I do want to try the PS4 because the PS3 isn's muffled enough for my bass drum.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Pioneer Member

When I play an EMAD equipped bass drum, I think that the sound is too one-dimensional. And, when I used my PS3 equipped bss drum, the MD for the band actually commented that my bass drum sound was better - and that is purley subjective! However, he does run a studio, so that may figure into you equation.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw