DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-21-2008, 07:38 PM

Default METRENOMES HELP!!!

Thank you all for taking some time to view this thread. I'm having problem speeding up and slowing down in my playing and I know the key ability that a drummer has to have is "good timing". I know that's the major part of your pocket. I have a regular KORG MA-30 metrenome but it's sorta boring to play with. So, I want to know if there is a metrenome device, or beat machine, that isn't such an expense, that I could possibly groove with, in a daily practice to help me improve my timing?

Thank You and God Bless!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:49 PM

Default Re: METRENOMES HELP!!!

You mean like a backing track?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Any commercially recorded songs that you play along will help you hold good time,because most were recorded using click track or were recorded with pro session drummer but still the metronome is still a good tool to practice and hold the beat precisely.

Playing along with metronome lesson

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

I bought myself a cheap drum machine (Yamaha RX5) on ebay, those are older models and you can get them for little money.
That's what I use to play on my drumset listening to it through my earphones, great tool.
On my practice pad I use a digital metronome.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 PM

this is going to sound quite bizare at first but please stick with me, it works!

first of all if you are not familiar with a drummer by the name of billy ward please look into his playing!

i subscribed to modern drummer magazine before the new year and recieved a book of compiled articles he has written for the mag....one of the topics was time keeping!

i cant remember it totaly but he talks about finding your "mechanics" and also under tows as we play.
this basicaly means 1) with the mechanics thing, taking time to observe your bodies behavior whilst you play. think and remember how you feel whilst playing different tempos and how everything sort of "clicks". i tried this out just by playing really simple time and closing my eyes and just keepng that up untill i was aware of what i was doing...this will be a reminder to your body suposedly of what it feels like to be playing in the pocket.
2) the under tow things work quite easily to keep what we play in time and spaced out evenly.whilst closing your eyes to play and concentrate on the groove, think, if its straight 8ths, 16ths to make sure you are getting everything in exactly the right place at the right time. the smaller or faster the beats you count or feel, the tighter your playing will become. depending on what you feel underneath can also very slightly change the feel of the groove so try it out

i never really take this into account when playing gigs, but its nice to spend say 10 mins just getting used to some of the ideas...

hope it helps and is not too confusing :)
Old 01-21-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tormey View Post
You mean like a backing track?
Umm.. what's a back tracking.. I mean like an MPC or any type of beat/sampling machine
Old 01-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Big_Philly

I have a Boss DB-30 metronome, it's a pretty decent little device. I practise with it almost daily to get some double bass skills.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

There are plenty of metronomes / drum machines on the market.

Go here: http://www.metronomeonline.com/

As cheap as it gets!