DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-21-2008, 07:35 PM

Default Axis or Iron Cobra?

For a while now, I've been thinking about getting an Axis longboard pedal. I currently have a Tama Iron Cobra and I cant decide whether I should sell my Tama and get the Axis or just stick with the Iron Cobra. What do you guys think?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Axis or Iron Cobra?

Make sure that you try out the Axis. It has a different feel than any other pedal I have ever played. I own one and I never play because I do not like the feel of it. I recently picked up a Sonor Giant Step single pedal and it has the solid feel of the Axis without the weird feeling. Super fast too!

J.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Indeed, play one before you buy one. If you can. A totally different feel than the Iron Cobra. Unless you just plain want an Axis. If that's the case, you'll probably be able to "make it work" given some time. They are really good pedals, just not "everyones" cup of tea.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

A must for any pedal. I advise this for making any change, not to just Axis. I thought I was solid on getting a Trick..then I tested one. I probably should have tried to find more availability becuase it seems more and more, what you find on the floor isn't the best cared for (that rhymed)...so even then...you're always taking a gamble.

The Axis came at a great price for "never used, still in box". Couldn't pass it up. I had played a few of them and just had a fantastic deal land in my lap. I must admit getting used to the direct drive feel (especially with the Axis longboards and heavy springs) was interesting and took almost a full trimester to get myself back to the comfy feelings of my old pedal. It was actually quite frustrating...having spent all that cashola and gotten sub-par performance. But I stuck with it. Re-trained my feet. Worked out.

Turns out, this is the case for not only Axis switchers, but almost anyone who makes a change...to any pedal. Different strokes...
Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 AM

How would you guys describe the feeling of the Axis, or just any direct drive pedal in general?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member

Currently I play the Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive. I also have (in my pedal collection) a Tama HP55 King Beat and a Ghost pedal (both direct drive), and I've owned several Ludwig Speed Kings over the years. When I decided the Yamaha FDDD was gonna be it, the second place contender was the DW 5000A3 single chain. I had both pedals for 2 months in my studio, before I finally decided it was gonna be the Yamaha. Sold the DW on eBay and bought a second Dragon. So not all direct drive pedals are gonna feel the same. All pedals are unique, and yet the high end pedals all deliver amazing performance. What's most comfortable, or natural feeling to you? Only you can determine that. But remember, it's the drummer that makes the pedal.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:25 AM

Alright, thanks for the help.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:51 AM
Silver Member

Axis are like bike pedals that attach to the shoes of the pedal-er. They are intensely responsive and unexpectedly different when it comes to playing the rebound. Not that strap drive or chain drive isn't responsive....it's really just what you might be accustomed to.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:36 AM

With that out of the way, would I be better off buying the longboards, even though I'm not particularly fond of the heel/ toe method? As in, would it help for playing different types of music in the long run?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member

Mostly it's the speed/death metal cats that use the Axis the most. But lots of guys use Pearl, Tama and DW pedals in that arena as well. Heel/toe, as a technique, can be played on just about any pedal.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Mostly it's the speed/death metal cats that use the Axis the most. But lots of guys use Pearl, Tama and DW pedals in that arena as well. Heel/toe, as a technique, can be played on just about any pedal.
And to add to that, you may not be fond of heal toe now but as you grow and evolve in your playing you might find that you want to learn it and use it.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I'm not a death metal guy. Longboards wouldn't help make you the death metal king or anything. Longboards do make finite adjustments in your feet a little more noticable because you can pull back a little farther than "regular boards". Either way, YOU can be successful using any pedal on the market, YOU must make the choice. All we can do here is give you our opinion. the facts will forever rest with you and your feet.

***The biggest reason I went with the Axis, is the amazing amount of power and smooth feel. It just hits right for my style...

Last edited by sticksnstonesrus; 01-22-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:38 PM

get some iron cobras theyre great and can be used in a variaty of types of music!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:44 PM

get some iron cobras theyre great and can be used in a variaty of types of music!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wad View Post

Cause ya know'...all those other brands out there...they can't be used for varieties of music. Only the IC's...