DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-20-2008, 03:24 PM

Default Diplomat for Tom Resonants?

would the combination of coated ambassador over clear diplomats sound good on toms?

im looking for a very open, bright, resonate sound for the toms on my Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive
and was thinking about trying this combo.

or would coated ambassador over clear ambassador be more the way to go?

Last edited by NIMBY; 01-20-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Diplomat for Tom Resonants?

Either way. I have a kit set up with coated amb on top clear on bottom and one that is coated amb on top clear dip on bottom.......... Theres not a great lot of difference. Sizes and brand are the same on the drums.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26473
Old 01-20-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ploughman View Post
Either way. I have a kit set up with coated amb on top clear on bottom and one that is coated amb on top clear dip on bottom.......... Theres not a great lot of difference.
yeh, i realised there wouldnt be that much of a difference but by any chance is the diplomat more sensitive in any way?

Old 01-20-2008, 04:31 PM
fourstringdrums

After watching this video by Bob Gatzen http://youtube.com/watch?v=P2ibBol23hs I actually found out that a thinner 7mil head like a Diplomat is brighter, but LESS resonant. It has slightly shorter sustain than a 10mil head like an Ambassador.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the link, fourstrings - that's a really interesting video.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:49 AM

that video was great. i think i'll go with clear ambassadors as resonants because i think the diplomat will be a shorter sound, and i wont my drums to sing for ages!

thanks for all the help

Old 01-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
After watching this video by Bob Gatzen http://youtube.com/watch?v=P2ibBol23hs I actually found out that a thinner 7mil head like a Diplomat is brighter, but LESS resonant. It has slightly shorter sustain than a 10mil head like an Ambassador.
When I was shopping for reso heads last year I was torn between Aquarian Hi-frequency or Classic clear but after seeing this video I'm glad I went with the 10 mil Classic clear instead of the 7 mil Hi-frequency.

That vid put some light on the misterious reso head. Good for everyone.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-21-2008, 05:00 PM

I think Bob Gatzen is a genius, but that video doesn't sit well with me. I have used Diplomat and Evans Resonant Glass/Black heads before and didn't have those results. In the video it sounds like he barely has it tuned. You can hear it flopping around. You can hear the rattle of the mylar.

You do have to remember, he does have an obligation to Evans to market the latest and greatest product, while making another product look not so great at the same time. I think he achieved that just perfect in this video.

I have used 7mil resonant heads with 1 ply 10mil medium weight heads and 14mil 2 ply heads. The difference is almost not noticeable. The attack might be a tad sharper but that is about it. They still resonate for days, a tad brighter yes, but they aren't as dead and drastic as this video makes them seem.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:21 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietysSorrow View Post
I think Bob Gatzen is a genius, but that video doesn't sit well with me. I have used Diplomat and Evans Resonant Glass/Black heads before and didn't have those results. In the video it sounds like he barely has it tuned. You can hear it flopping around. You can hear the rattle of the mylar.

You do have to remember, he does have an obligation to Evans to market the latest and greatest product, while making another product look not so great at the same time. I think he achieved that just perfect in this video.

I have used 7mil resonant heads with 1 ply 10mil medium weight heads and 14mil 2 ply heads. The difference is almost not noticeable. The attack might be a tad sharper but that is about it. They still resonate for days, a tad brighter yes, but they aren't as dead and drastic as this video makes them seem.
Well you have to remember that he's micing the drum which is going to bring out some nuances you might not be able to hear with your naked ear alone. Also I don't see how he's "Making another product look not so great at the same time". How exactly is he doing this? Of course he's going to talk about Evans because that is the company he is associated with, but he never did a side by side comparison, so it's not making ANY other company look bad. All he did was show what different Evans heads will produce tonally.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

I use coated Ambassadors and clear Diplomats on my tom-toms, and I prefer their sound over an Ambassador-Ambassador combo. You can find some sound examples of my toms on YouTube: http://youtube.com/profile?user=tserhey
Old 01-22-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Well you have to remember that he's micing the drum which is going to bring out some nuances you might not be able to hear with your naked ear alone. Also I don't see how he's "Making another product look not so great at the same time". How exactly is he doing this? Of course he's going to talk about Evans because that is the company he is associated with, but he never did a side by side comparison, so it's not making ANY other company look bad. All he did was show what different Evans heads will produce tonally.
I knew someone would have to argue, especially fourstringdrums. I meant other Evans products. Such as the Resonant Glass/Black, G1, Genera Resonant 10mil, etc...
Old 01-22-2008, 01:58 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietysSorrow View Post
I knew someone would have to argue, especially fourstringdrums. I meant other Evans products. Such as the Resonant Glass/Black, G1, Genera Resonant 10mil, etc...
What do you mean "I knew someone who have to argue, especially Fourstringdrums"? I'm sorry but that was rude. I am not an argumentative person for the sake of arguing. I simply voiced my opinion regarding your statement on the video, which apparently was misinformed.

I thought you were referring to products made by other companies. Regardless I still don't think that was his goal. It was a fair comparison between the three, and we got to see a new product that we didn't know existed yet.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:15 AM
Silver Member

I saw the video. I was not impressed. I thought the drum sounded awful with all the heads he tried. That's just my thought. I have used diplomats onthe bottoms several years ago. From what I remember, they opened up the sound of the drums. They didn't have less sustain than an ambassador like he implies in this video. Yes, I know he was referring to the Evans resonant head which is equal to the Remo diplomat.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
I saw the video. I was not impressed. I thought the drum sounded awful with all the heads he tried.
Well, that's almost a given with DW tom-toms...
Old 01-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Well, that's almost a given with DW tom-toms...
oooh, snap!...........
Old 01-23-2008, 03:23 PM

ive decided to go with the Diplomats and see what they sound like, and if worst come to worst and they are terrible, ambassadors ahoy.

thanks for all the help peeps

Old 01-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
ive decided to go with the Diplomats and see what they sound like, and if worst come to worst and they are terrible, ambassadors ahoy.

thanks for all the help peeps
IMO I like Diplomats on the bottom I use Clear Emperor's on top for my big kit (24" bass,12" Tom & 16" Floor-tom) & Coated Ambassors on my small kit(20" Bass,10" Tom & 14" Floor-Tom) But that is just personal preference.

Bonzolead