DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-17-2008, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

Default If these snares could talk...

They would say, "Hey, thanks for taking care of us!!"

I know it's not much, but here's what I own for snares..I figured it's the start of a new year so let's give em some new heads.. plus I got a coupon from Musicans Friend for free shipping and 10% off, so I figured what the hay..

It's also been a very long time since I've used Remo heads again.. The snares all came with Remo's on originally when I got them and either I kept them on or got Evans heads (including my drumkit). I find that the Evans coating is much much more durable, tunes easily, and gives a warmer sound than the Remo.... But there's something about Remo Weather King that I gave it another shot recently.. Let's hope they deliver!

Pictured left to right, and the Remo heads they will be getting on (all Weather King):

1960s Ludwig 13x3 Piccolo - Coated Ambassador Batter, Ambassador Snare Side

1978 Ludwig 14x5 Acrolite - Coated 'Vintage A' Ambassador, Ambassador Snare Side

1994 Yamaha 14x6.5 Recording Custom Brass - Coated Ambassador Batter, Ambassador Snare Side (I also sometimes use a Coated Controlled Sound Rev Dot for Batter... decided to try something new)

Next on the list to own... Mapex Black Panther 14x6.5 Deep Forest Walnut snare :oD
Old 01-17-2008, 02:39 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: If these snares could talk...

The ludwigs look brand new. Did you buy them used or are you the original owner? (If I'm adding a few decades to your age, I appologize) :D
Old 01-17-2008, 04:28 AM
Silver Member

haha. no worries.. as a hint, I'm only as old as my Acrolite :)

The Piccolo my dad found at an estate sale about 11 years ago.. I don't remember all the details, but it was in pretty decent shape.. he has Carpentry skills, so he completely disassembled the drum and cleaned all the parts and refinished the wood. As far as I know, everything on the drum except the heads and snare wires (they are Pearl) are original.

The Acrolite I bought on eBay a few months ago. it's in Very Good to Excellent condition, I still have to clean it up actually. There are some minor blemishes on the shell and the batter side rim. As well, the only non-original items on this drum are the heads and the snare wires.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:48 AM

That pic is called a Downbeat. valuable drum. You probably know that. What color was it originally?

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26473
Old 02-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice drums!
I had the chance (and blew it) to get a 3X13 chrome Ludwig piccolo some years ago.
Dang...I should have bought that thing!

Nice collection you've started.