DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Black Panther Walnut 6.5 Snare Owners

] was wondering if there were any players who own this drum who might recommend the type of heads they are using. It comes with the Chinese version of Remo but I can not get a good sound from them. I have wood hoops on to help warm it up. I would like to avoid buying different types to experiment with as that would become costly so if you own one let me know what you are using and I can whittle it down from there.
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Last edited by Bruce M. Thomson; 01-14-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Black Panther Walnut 6.5 Snare Owners

IIRC, I watched a Youtube of a person with the same drum and I loved the sound. I asked him and he said:

Evans Coated Power Center Rev Dot on the batter
Evans Hazy 300 on the snare side

That would be my personal choice as well.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNealy View Post
IIRC, I watched a Youtube of a person with the same drum and I loved the sound. I asked him and he said:

Evans Coated Power Center Rev Dot on the batter
Evans Hazy 300 on the snare side

That would be my personal choice as well.
I was going to mention I do prefer Evans but thought it best to leave it open and your suggestion is along the same idea that I had although the hazy 300 is quite thick isn't it?
I think it is a great place to start, I thought perhaps the EC series but since a salesman at the local drum shop (Itís just on the corner where I live, talk about temptation) mentioned the same idea in a Remo version it sounds like the way to go, at this point anything is better than what is on there now, it sounds wicked with the e-ring on but I lose some bounce. Thanks for your advice and since it re affirms the direction I was thinking about it is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

No problem Bruce.

Yes, the Hazy 300 is a little thicker.. if you want to back down then get the Hazy 200... it will be similar to a Remo Diplomat Snare side.

EC heads aren't that bad, although personally I never got into the "frosted" head look.

How do you like that snare by the way? I'm contemplating getting the same exact one. I really love the sound. How much did you pay for it?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNealy View Post
No problem Bruce.

Yes, the Hazy 300 is a little thicker.. if you want to back down then get the Hazy 200... it will be similar to a Remo Diplomat Snare side.

EC heads aren't that bad, although personally I never got into the "frosted" head look.

How do you like that snare by the way? I'm contemplating getting the same exact one. I really love the sound. How much did you pay for it?
I bought the heads you suggested and I am letting them sit for awhile after seating them before the fine tuning. I am using the Gibraltar wood hoops but I may have to scratch that idea. The finish is gorgeous and the price was great. I purchased it on eBay for $330 plus $20 shipping and customs charges only came to $20. The best price I found here in Toronto was $400 plus tax and that was for one only, normal price here is $525. I found a review of the snare and it received outstanding praise. I suspected that the walnut would have a rich tone and I'm sure that once I tune it up properly I will be happy. Shame about the wood hoops, they add an extra bit of warmth normally and give it a real snazzy look. Thanks for your advice.
I will email you the review.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Bruce, I got the email. I'll have to save up some cashola for the Walnut. What a gem :)