DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-11-2008, 09:24 AM
JoeAdkins's Avatar
JoeAdkins JoeAdkins is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rugby, UK
Posts: 12
Default the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

hey guys ive just got the Duallist triple pedal, and i would just like to tell you guys that i think its one of the best pedals or evan the best pedal ive played with ever. i dont use it much as a triple pedal in my songs but what ever style you play it will always come in handy at the end of songs or in fills and the drum solos. its a real nice standard double and single aswell. i got to say any drummer would love it. and if you have been looking at it or are thinking of buy a new bass drum pedal i recommend no other pedal.
yeah i know the price is a bit steep for a pedal (650) but i got mine at a show for 400 so its good if you want to get it get it as a show. its well worth the money.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

Cool! I thought I was the only Duallist user here! I have a standard Duallist but a triple sounds terrific. I don't have any interest in training my left foot so I'll probably never get the triple pedal add-on, but it would be great to share tips with a fellow Duallist player. As you get to playing with this it will totally change the way you approach the drum set.

The Duallist is also a very smooth, fast single pedal. But I have yet to find a pedal setting I'm completely comfortable with for dual mode. The standard Duallist has 11 adjustment points and I imagine the triple has even more. How are you doing on adjusting for your left foot at least? There is the whole stroke/throw/tension balance that takes a lot of fine-tuning.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2008, 01:23 AM
JoeAdkins's Avatar
JoeAdkins JoeAdkins is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rugby, UK
Posts: 12
Default Re: the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Cool! I thought I was the only Duallist user here! I have a standard Duallist but a triple sounds terrific. I don't have any interest in training my left foot so I'll probably never get the triple pedal add-on, but it would be great to share tips with a fellow Duallist player. As you get to playing with this it will totally change the way you approach the drum set.

The Duallist is also a very smooth, fast single pedal. But I have yet to find a pedal setting I'm completely comfortable with for dual mode. The standard Duallist has 11 adjustment points and I imagine the triple has even more. How are you doing on adjusting for your left foot at least? There is the whole stroke/throw/tension balance that takes a lot of fine-tuning.
yeah it dose take alot of fine tuneing. the triple pedal is the standard duallist double with the extra left foot exstention. ive spent quite alot of time watching the dvd with the standard duallist in my hands fiddleing and i think i almost got it good. ive got the second beater good but when i got that good the single beater was a bit sloppy. i would have just got the standard one like u if i wasent already into playing standard double pedals. if u are thinking of session work like me its good to have the triple extention but otherwise like in my songs i like to do alot of hi hat work. what do u think of the way you can use it like doing triplets and hi hat work. it works nice in all syles what do you think. what do u use it most for.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2008, 07:43 PM
romenydrummer64 romenydrummer64 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rome, NY
Posts: 30
Default Re: the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

I do not have a DUALLIST pedal yet...but I plan to get one in a few weeks. I have read the forums and reviews, and I understand that there are different beliefs. Having said that, I have to ask a few questions.

A) Isn't music all about creativity? Look at the famous WAH Pedals and Distortion Pedals for guitarists...cheating or creativity? How about the electric guitar itself...how many acoustic guitarists viewed the electric as cheating?

B) I have played double bass, and I can't say that I ever enjoyed trying to get to the next level so much as I enjoyed making new sound..it's not like playing a video game. In all these forums that's the impression I get from the good folks who want to keep double bass drumming traditional..."all the years I spent practicing..." I'm sorry, but to me that's akin to saying something like, "Hey I spent all those years riding a bicycle and now all these guys driving cars are getting there faster!" Technology, like it or not, is part of the human experience, and so is music.

My theory is this....it's not a matter of how the journey is made so much as it is just enjoying the journey...and that applies to the bicycle...the car...double bass, and yes...duallist. So let's all just enjoy the journey, and instead of beating each other up, how about passing on tips that will help us all? As for me, I'm gonna try a duallist, and if somebody says "how did you do that?" I will proudly point to the pedal and tell them the same thing that applies to all bass drumming regardless of hardware setup...."practice"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by romenydrummer64 View Post
I do not have a DUALLIST pedal yet...but I plan to get one in a few weeks. I have read the forums and reviews, and I understand that there are different beliefs. Having said that, I have to ask a few questions.

A) Isn't music all about creativity? Look at the famous WAH Pedals and Distortion Pedals for guitarists...cheating or creativity? How about the electric guitar itself...how many acoustic guitarists viewed the electric as cheating?

B) I have played double bass, and I can't say that I ever enjoyed trying to get to the next level so much as I enjoyed making new sound..it's not like playing a video game. In all these forums that's the impression I get from the good folks who want to keep double bass drumming traditional..."all the years I spent practicing..." I'm sorry, but to me that's akin to saying something like, "Hey I spent all those years riding a bicycle and now all these guys driving cars are getting there faster!" Technology, like it or not, is part of the human experience, and so is music.

My theory is this....it's not a matter of how the journey is made so much as it is just enjoying the journey...and that applies to the bicycle...the car...double bass, and yes...duallist. So let's all just enjoy the journey, and instead of beating each other up, how about passing on tips that will help us all? As for me, I'm gonna try a duallist, and if somebody says "how did you do that?" I will proudly point to the pedal and tell them the same thing that applies to all bass drumming regardless of hardware setup...."practice"
That's a good way to put it.

A lot of the misunderstanding about The Duallist is because people assume it's intended to replicate/replace/compete with double pedals. It's not. The Duallist is a single pedal with more features than a standard single pedal. Double pedals will ultimately allow you to do more things than a Duallist - assuming you put in the hundreds of hours of work required to re-train your left foot. The trade-off is that you have to give up your hihat and foot percussion for double pedals, but for some people, it's worth it.

Someone could say double pedals are cheating, since you should be able to do things with just one pedal. But in reality, double pedals are a separate instrument, with their own advantages and disadvantages, just like the Duallist, just like the single pedal, etc.

Plus, the Duallist is FUN to play. If you have earned good right foot skills, you will be pumping out flawless 16th notes and funky shuffles with just a few hours of practice. I've been playing one for almost two years now and the Duallist unlocks right-foot capabilities you didn't know you had, and that you would never unlock with a single or double pedal. If you don't have good right-foot skills, however, the Duallist isn't going to make you sound better. You get out of it what you put into it.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2008, 10:51 PM
tomk tomk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 131
Default Re: the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

I'm glad some people in the drumming community are still about creativity and the art form. I've read too many discussion about how people "cheat" etc. and the bottom line is that music is not a competition, therefore there isn't any cheating. There are too many insecure people out there looking to downplay anything that they think makes them look worse than another person.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2008, 01:41 AM
JoeAdkins's Avatar
JoeAdkins JoeAdkins is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rugby, UK
Posts: 12
Default Re: the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

its cool to hear such hype about a drum pedal. ive had people at collage saying whats in the bag its your cheating double pedal. and im like its not cheating its common sense, its being creative plus as its a triple pedal i can still do all the stuff double bass players can do. so the choice is up to the player if u have spent the years playing double pedals and got the technique then the triple is for you and if u dont want to the standard duallist.
(tip)
if u like to have lots of percussion on your feet to do multi pedal orcistrations have a few duallist's as you can exsperement so much more.

hears a good one which i have done on stage. learn to juggle, then try it with sticks cus the crowed love it if u sit there juggleing sticks with crazy bass drum rudiments.

give it ago then set in to the micraphone if u want my number come up to me after the show
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-13-2008, 06:55 AM
Cymbalrider's Avatar
Cymbalrider Cymbalrider is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

I think it's sad people view it like a competition to begin with. I've never played double bass anything, but I'm beginning to get interested. I was trying to debate between a double pedal or one of those dualist things. Unless it's motorized and playing for you, then it's not cheating.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAdkins View Post
its cool to hear such hype about a drum pedal. ive had people at collage saying whats in the bag its your cheating double pedal. and im like its not cheating its common sense, its being creative plus as its a triple pedal i can still do all the stuff double bass players can do. so the choice is up to the player if u have spent the years playing double pedals and got the technique then the triple is for you and if u dont want to the standard duallist.
(tip)
if u like to have lots of percussion on your feet to do multi pedal orcistrations have a few duallist's as you can exsperement so much more.

hears a good one which i have done on stage. learn to juggle, then try it with sticks cus the crowed love it if u sit there juggleing sticks with crazy bass drum rudiments.

give it ago then set in to the micraphone if u want my number come up to me after the show
It's clear a lot of double bass players are insecure. They work hundreds of hours to develop their skills and along comes someone with a more efficient design that does many of the same things if the player already has a good right foot skills. The fact that they assume it's intended to compete with a double pedal shows they are insecure and worried.

People who hold the most passionate views about the Duallist have never played one, so they are speaking from ignorance. Tell them it's NOT a double pedal! It's a SINGLE pedal with more options. Or, they next time they take out their double pedal, tell them that's a cheat for having good single pedal skills.

Buddy Rich never played a double pedal and I'm sure he could smoke 99 percent of double pedal players.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Ben Tormey Ben Tormey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 178
Default Re: the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

Thomas Lang uses the Sonor double action pedal; if anyone suggests that using that kind of pedal is cheating, or is just masking poor technique, then they should reconsider their opinion.

Of course, some people will buy this as a gimmick, but it requires a technique of it's own to use properly. I think it's more difficult to sustain 16th notes on one foot while maintaining an ostinato on the other than it is to play 16th notes on a double pedal.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-13-2008, 09:28 PM
JoeAdkins's Avatar
JoeAdkins JoeAdkins is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rugby, UK
Posts: 12
Default Re: the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tormey View Post
Thomas Lang uses the Sonor double action pedal; if anyone suggests that using that kind of pedal is cheating, or is just masking poor technique, then they should reconsider their opinion.

Of course, some people will buy this as a gimmick, but it requires a technique of it's own to use properly. I think it's more difficult to sustain 16th notes on one foot while maintaining an ostinato on the other than it is to play 16th notes on a double pedal.
ive played the sonar double action pedal its easy to use but your better off with a duallist its stronger lighter and much easyer to use
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Cymbalrider's Avatar
Cymbalrider Cymbalrider is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

Then I suppose the triple is the answer as you can do both...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Jeffrey99 Jeffrey99 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 27
Default Re: the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

Newb here, sorry I'm bumping a month old thread but I recently bought a Duallist off Musicians Friend, it was a open box item, so I'm not sure I got everything that would have been in a brand new one. I didn't any type of DVD and/or VHS. I got a install guide, of what is what and how to install the beaters but I didn't get any type of guide that tells you what you can change or how to change it.

I was just wondering if I got everything that's would be in a brand new box. So far, pretty cool pedal. Think it'll work good for playing straight 16th's, not sure if I'll use it more then that. May get the triple add-on for all the rest of double playing.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

Nothing wrong with bumping an old thread here - that is what the search function is for. More people should search before posting!

Sounds like you have everything you need. There are 11 adjustment points and you will need to fuss a lot with the adjustments to get them just right for you. It's great for laying out 16ths and 32nds and you can also get some freaky shuffles going too.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Jeffrey99 Jeffrey99 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 27
Default Re: the DUALLIST triple bass drum pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Nothing wrong with bumping an old thread here - that is what the search function is for. More people should search before posting!

Sounds like you have everything you need. There are 11 adjustment points and you will need to fuss a lot with the adjustments to get them just right for you. It's great for laying out 16ths and 32nds and you can also get some freaky shuffles going too.
Ok, thanks. Only problem I've seemed to have so far is getting the 2nd beater to hit as hard as the first. Will have to do alot of messing around with it this weekend to see what I change and how it affects the pedal.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com