DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-09-2008, 02:07 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Best size sticks for a child?

Forgive me if this has been discussed. Tonight I had a new student, an 8 year old girl, and she came in with a pair of 2B sticks. No-name "Pick-a-pair from the Bucket 'o sticks!" value sticks. They honestly felt hollow to me, mostly because for as thick as they were they were incredibly light.

I was going to get her into a pair of 7A's or 5A's but first I just wanted to see how things went with these sticks. She did fine, she didn't seem to have a problem gripping them or using the technique I was showing her, but I got to thinking if next week if I should show her dad some lighter sticks.

Would that be the best option? Something lighter, but with a bit more solidity behind them, or if these sticks aren't hurting her, should she just keep them?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Best size sticks for a child?

Regal Tip 7a is about as light as you can find.
Great sticks too. Or Steve Gadd Sticks which are almost as light.
I have never tried, but there are such things as sd1 juniors which should be good too.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:15 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Regal Tip 7a is about as light as you can find.
Great sticks too. Or Steve Gadd Sticks which are almost as light.
I have never tried, but there are such things as sd1 juniors which should be good too.
Well my question isn't so much about what sticks are good (I honestly don't have many to choose from at our store so both you mentioned I can't get right away! *lol*) but more of, are these light 2B's fine, or should she get some smaller sticks. Like I said, she's holding the sticks fine, I just wondered if smaller sticks would be better, or if she could just continue with these as long as she's not having problems. These sticks are actually lighter than my Trueline Billy Wards (.520..7A basically), and they felt hollow, but they have the same rough diameter as name brand 2B's.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Well my question isn't so much about what sticks are good (I honestly don't have many to choose from at our store so both you mentioned I can't get right away! *lol*) but more of, are these light 2B's fine, or should she get some smaller sticks. Like I said, she's holding the sticks fine, I just wondered if smaller sticks would be better, or if she could just continue with these as long as she's not having problems. These sticks are actually lighter than my Trueline Billy Wards (.520..7A basically), and they felt hollow, but they have the same rough diameter as name brand 2B's.
Internet you can get all the sticks.

But i actually think i have used the exact sticks you are talking about in both 5b and 2b. The feel of them cant do any harm. It might not wanna be the stick choice in the long run but they do the job just fine.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:33 AM
Colonel Bat Guano

Man, those sound like some funky 2Bs. I think your instinct to wait to see if she has any problems before changing anything is the best bet. If it comes down to her needing to try different sticks, then it'll be her first lesson in figuring out her personal preference in drumstick weight/size. That can be an empowering experience for a young drummer. Back in the day, I almost gave up drumming within my first couple of weeks because I couldn't get a double-stroke roll happening with the oak 2Bs my teacher had me using. I ended up buying a pair of lighter sticks with my allowance money and then pretty quickly conquered the double-stroke roll. And the rest is history.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:03 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Internet you can get all the sticks.
Well her dad is going to want to buy them locally and because she's just starting, this way she can try them in person.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Silver Member

My instinct tells me that 2B is too large of a stick for most 8 year old players (boy or girl). That's a pretty big diameter for her and her grip may suffer. She'll be hanging on to a lot of wood there. Frankly for that age kid unless the student has larger hands than the age would indicate I'd think 5a would be about the maximum size I'd go and probably lean toward a 7a for most of the 8 year old hands I've seen.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:10 PM

When my son started out at 10 he tried 5A and found he did not have the control over the sticks he wanted. He switched to 7As and used these for a year or maybe a year and a half. He is now back to the 5As and happy with the feel and control.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

I would think a 5A (in any brand) would be better than a 2B for an 8 year old.
I'd have her try out some sticks doing the exercises she's working on, and see what she has the best control with.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:29 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I would think a 5A (in any brand) would be better than a 2B for an 8 year old.
I'd have her try out some sticks doing the exercises she's working on, and see what she has the best control with.
Yeah I'll grab a few next week and have her try. Like I said she didn't seem to have any problems, but I attribute the lightness of the stick to it. But, an ultra light, ultra thick stick isn't something I want her to get used to.

I honestly wish music stores would do away with the "30 pairs for $3" bargain bucket of sticks.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:35 PM

I suggest 7a, small shaft and light. My daughter was 6 when she first played and 7a was perfect.