DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-08-2008, 03:24 AM
Mystic

Default Coated or uncoated?

Hey everyone, I have a question as to what the difference is on a clear snare head and a coated one, because I am about to order an emperor for my snare and they offer 2 different styles. (keep in mind I don't use brushes)
Another question that just came to mind, will the 2 ply PS4 bass drum head remove my need for using a pillow, because I have a PS3 and it doesn't quite do the trick and I would like to eliminate the false sound of a pillow making my set sound like it does, well other than that has anyone used a PS3 as a reso head? If so tell me how it sounded :D
Old 01-08-2008, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Coated or uncoated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Hey everyone, I have a question as to what the difference is on a clear snare head and a coated one, because I am about to order an emperor for my snare and they offer 2 different styles. (keep in mind I don't use brushes)
Another question that just came to mind, will the 2 ply PS4 bass drum head remove my need for using a pillow, because I have a PS3 and it doesn't quite do the trick and I would like to eliminate the false sound of a pillow making my set sound like it does, well other than that has anyone used a PS3 as a reso head? If so tell me how it sounded :D
Clear head is brighter sounding than a coated head. Coated heads are pretty standard for snare drums whether you use brushes or not. Any bass drum can sound great without a pillow if you know how to tune. A pillow muffles the drum. If you don't want it, take it out and learn how to tune. False sound? LOL. Putting a pillow doesn't make a false sound lol, it muffles the drum making it more punchy and increasing the amount of attack. Alot of drummers, including pro drummers muffle their bass drums one way or another, its pretty standard practice. All this you could have figured out with a little research.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Clear will be brighter and more open. Coated will be more of a condensed less resinating sound. On snares i prefer coated, but on toms i definitley like clear better.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk View Post
Clear head is brighter sounding than a coated head. Coated heads are pretty standard for snare drums whether you use brushes or not. Any bass drum can sound great without a pillow if you know how to tune. A pillow muffles the drum. If you don't want it, take it out and learn how to tune. False sound? LOL. Putting a pillow doesn't make a false sound lol, it muffles the drum making it more punchy and increasing the amount of attack. Alot of drummers, including pro drummers muffle their bass drums one way or another, its pretty standard practice. All this you could have figured out with a little research.
yes using a pillow is false sound in my opinion! Hah it is a mere illusion and I do know how to tune a bass drum I just think it resonates too much especially in the use of double bass.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

You could Try an Aquarian Super Kick with an Aquarian Regulator on the front. Evans and Remo both make pre muffled heads but I don't too much about those brands as I prefer Aquarian. The Super Kicks come in 1 and 2 ply. The regulator is single ply and pre muffled and you can get them with a hole or without. As for a snare head. I very much like the Aquarian Hi-Energy head. More info here http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/
Old 01-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Clear snare heads would have a lot of that plastic ringy tone that many people want to avoid. Unless it's something like a Remo CS on an acrylic shell, (which is primarily for looks), clear heads aren't the answer. These new heads that are 'frosted' seem like a good option too. (Ex. Evans EC Snare heads). As for bass drum heads I just bought a EMAD2/EQ1 Coated for my bass drum and it's great. You can tune them higher to get more sustain and punch or lower to get more or a modern rock sound. The thin ring is enough for me but I like a bit of open sound. I recommend these heads very strongly to anyone. On my Gretsch "rock" kit though I'm just using an EQ1 as a batter for the 26" to get an open traditional sound. Before, I had two Powerstroke Fiberskyn heads on my Mapex kit and it killed the sound. I ended up cutting out one of the powerstroke rings from the resonant side and using felt strips in both. The Evans ones do the trick though right out of the box. Coated bass heads are a good option too as you get a less plastic tone. Some guys want the plastic clicky sound though, but you can always buy one of those kick patches for that. Also typically, bass drums will sound much better to your audience without pillows. You might hear "booom" but they hear "bmp". With a pillow, you hear "bmp" and they hear "bp". Same goes for toms really, don't muffle them. I think 2ply heads or semi controlled heads are fine to fatten up the sound but nothing needs to be done to kill it. Moongels or "rings" work great for that. Oh and by the way, the EMAD2 is much better sounding than the EMAD I had before. It doesn't have the clicky sound. The EC2s are actually nice as well and don't really muffle the toms at all but rather just give you a deeper sound. G2s or Emperors are great too though. Just stay away from overkill heads such as *cough* pinstripes. :)
Old 01-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

I've tried clear heads on the snare, but the only clear heads I've ever tried that sounded any good (IMO) were the CS Black Dot, or the Aquarian heads with the dot (Aquarian tommy lee, Carmine's, New Orleans...).

The Remo Black Dot is a pretty darn nice snare head, and it's actually more common than people would normally think.

The other clear heads, like a Clear Amb., or Emp., have a real attacky sound, without much body, no matter how it was tuned. A pretty brittle sound to my ears.

But, if you need a real cranked up, super attacky sound, go with a 2 ply clear in what ever brand you like.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
Clear snare heads would have a lot of that plastic ringy tone that many people want to avoid. Unless it's something like a Remo CS on an acrylic shell, (which is primarily for looks), clear heads aren't the answer. These new heads that are 'frosted' seem like a good option too. (Ex. Evans EC Snare heads). As for bass drum heads I just bought a EMAD2/EQ1 Coated for my bass drum and it's great. You can tune them higher to get more sustain and punch or lower to get more or a modern rock sound. The thin ring is enough for me but I like a bit of open sound. I recommend these heads very strongly to anyone. On my Gretsch "rock" kit though I'm just using an EQ1 as a batter for the 26" to get an open traditional sound. Before, I had two Powerstroke Fiberskyn heads on my Mapex kit and it killed the sound. I ended up cutting out one of the powerstroke rings from the resonant side and using felt strips in both. The Evans ones do the trick though right out of the box. Coated bass heads are a good option too as you get a less plastic tone. Some guys want the plastic clicky sound though, but you can always buy one of those kick patches for that. Also typically, bass drums will sound much better to your audience without pillows. You might hear "booom" but they hear "bmp". With a pillow, you hear "bmp" and they hear "bp". Same goes for toms really, don't muffle them. I think 2ply heads or semi controlled heads are fine to fatten up the sound but nothing needs to be done to kill it. Moongels or "rings" work great for that. Oh and by the way, the EMAD2 is much better sounding than the EMAD I had before. It doesn't have the clicky sound. The EC2s are actually nice as well and don't really muffle the toms at all but rather just give you a deeper sound. G2s or Emperors are great too though. Just stay away from overkill heads such as *cough* pinstripes. :)
I have some pinstripes actually. and I agree, way too dampened. btw thx for the long post :D I like a lot of thought, and thx everyone else for your posts.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

my personal preference I like coated heads on snares and smaller toms and bass drums (10"t,14"ft,20" bd) and clear on larger drums (14"t,16"ft,24"bd,etc)

Bonzolead
Old 01-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

The only heads that are clear on my set are my resos and my bass batter. Coated heads are just warmer and produce a classy sound imo.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:39 PM

coated heads sound warmer and rounder. i avoid clear batters at all cost. in my opinion, coated emperors are the best tom heads.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

Mystic, it sounds like you prefer a heavily muffled sound on your drums. That's fine--you should have what you like!

But you should bear one thing in mind: heavily muffled drums simply do not carry through the band in the unmiked live situation. If you generally play unmiked, I recommend you let the drums sing more. Heavily muffled snares sound soft and lifeless from the audience; muffled bass drums simply aren't heard. Toms have much more presence when unmuffled.

Now, if you play out miked all the time, never mind! Muffling is called for when miked either live or in the studio--though there are some drummers who prefer a more open sound when miked, too.

But if you usually play out unmiked your drums will sound much more alive, punchy, and present when unmuffled. If that sound is too much for you in your practice space, throw some studio rings on--just be sure to take them off for the show.

The preference for a muffled sound comes from recordings, where mics are commonly placed about an inch from the drumhead. (If you lean over and listen to what a drum sounds like from an inch away you'll hear a sound laden with overtones. Move away from the drum and the overtones lessen drastically.) So studio drummers learned to muffle their drums for better sounding results. Drummers have gotten used to that sound and want to get it from their own drums. They can with 2-ply or otherwise muffled heads, but most of them don't realize how dead the muffling makes their drums when unmiked.

BTW, for BD I use PS3s front and rear and nothing in the drum. This is almost too muffled for live unmiked use! A bass drum that goes "thud"--like on recordings--just disappears, while one that goes "booooom" cuts right through the band.

Food for thought.