DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-07-2008, 09:00 PM

Default Bass drum mounted snare holder

Somewhere in a catalog I have seen a snare drum holder that attaches to the bass drum hoop. Never seen anyone use on before but it seems like a good idea (eliminates clutter around your feet).

Anyone out there seen them, used them, have an opinion????

Thanks
Old 01-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bass drum mounted snare holder

Great if you like a snare that bounces while you're playing it and rattles every time you kick the bass drum.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:40 PM

Physically hanging a snare off the bass drum hoop? Ouch. I'd be worried about the stresses that would place on the BD....unless you have metal hoops (mine are wood). Even with metal, that still just doesn't sound good. And I second the

Check out a single-leg stand with a stabilizer bracket that attaches to the BD. Gibraltar makes them for sure, and Musician's Friend has both of them....just looked at them yesterday.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skacatz View Post
Somewhere in a catalog I have seen a snare drum holder that attaches to the bass drum hoop. Never seen anyone use on before but it seems like a good idea (eliminates clutter around your feet).

Anyone out there seen them, used them, have an opinion????

Thanks
A lot of people bolt a couple of toms and more to their bass drum and claim there is no change to the sound, so adding a snare couldn't hurt much. The Yamaha Hipgig kits have two cymbals, the snare and two toms bolted to the bass drum and those are good sets.

As a matter of principle, however, I personally prefer nothing hanging off of or attached to my bass drum.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skacatz View Post
How often do you actually need to move your feet under your snare drum?

...exactly.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:44 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post

...exactly.
Well it makes positioning easier if you have some tight stands that make getting the legs around the hi-hat and other cymbal stands a bit difficult. I know for me when I did it, I did so because I could get the hi-hat and bass pedals closer together.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post

...exactly.
Well, if you have a standard snare stand, you can't move your feet under the snare!

I could see this allowing different/more placement of pedals. There are a lot of threads with people talking about the difficulty of squeezing in another pedal, or putting a pedal exactly where they want, and this might help.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

A multi clamp on a cymbal stand together with only the top portion of the snare stand works good, but only up to about 25" or so ( floor-top of snare), any higher it starts to become unstable (results may very).

This method produces only one leg (of the cymbal stand) introuding into the foot area.
I don't know of any stock multi clamps that will come off the HH stand far enough to clear 14" hats.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:00 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
This method produces only one leg (of the cymbal stand) introuding into the foot area.
I don't know of any stock multi clamps that will come off the HH stand far enough to clear 14" hats.
Most don't. Whenever I used one I had to get either a Pearl or a DW and tilt the hats slightly so they cleared the stand. The DW Dogbone bar on VegasDrummer's thread is what their remotes come with.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

I am interested in making my snare stand one-legged, just a chrome tube with a rubber cap at the end, and somehow clamping it to the bass drum hoop for stability. But I might get a lot of cross-talk from the bass to the snare.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:39 AM

Snare stand legs inevitably always end up where connecting rod for double pedals needs to be.

You should be able to simply drill out the rivets holding the three legs of the snare stand and remove them so you just have the main down tube and use one of these clamps to secure to BD. It's noted as a hi hat support for 2-leg or legless stands, but should still work. Then just get a black rubber furniture foot from hardware store to cap the end of the tube.

Haven't tried it, but don't know why it shouldn't work.....just gotta get my hands on a cheap stand to test. Clamp is $20 at M/F.

Or, just buy a rack and for another $90, problem solved. ;p

Old 01-09-2008, 04:08 PM

yeah, reducing floor clutter is not so that you can move your feet around (no need for that), but I was thinking it might make placement of other stuff a little simpler being less clutter. The one legged snare support sounds like maybe a good idea.

Thanks for all the response
Old 01-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky.widget View Post
Snare stand legs inevitably always end up where connecting rod for double pedals needs to be.

You should be able to simply drill out the rivets holding the three legs of the snare stand and remove them so you just have the main down tube and use one of these clamps to secure to BD. It's noted as a hi hat support for 2-leg or legless stands, but should still work. Then just get a black rubber furniture foot from hardware store to cap the end of the tube.

Haven't tried it, but don't know why it shouldn't work.....just gotta get my hands on a cheap stand to test. Clamp is $20 at M/F.

Or, just buy a rack and for another $90, problem solved. ;p

Good research and suggestions. I think getting the rack-type holder and modifying it for stand use would be the most promising approach, but I don't have the bread for a new stand. I think I am going to try putting one leg on my existing snare stand and running an arm over to the hihat for support.