DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-07-2008, 08:09 PM

Default Trick Pro I-V Detonator

Does anyone have any experience and thoughts about the Trick Pro Detonator pedal, other than it's super expensive?
Thanks
Old 01-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Trick Pro I-V Detonator

I have a pauir and they are great. Takes a little getting used tothe pedal "being stuck" to the bottom of your foot though. You do get everything back in volume and positive feel. Feels very solid. I like it over my PEARL elims....totally different kind of pedal, but the PEARL is very good old school tech. You can get the trick through GC for 214.00 if you don't mind watching the sales guy cry...maybe even less now...
Old 01-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmrakich View Post
You can get the trick through GC for 214.00 if you don't mind watching the sales guy cry...maybe even less now...
They're either taking a loss, or made a BIG mistake in the price ($214 is below dealer cost!) At that price, everybody should snag a few!

I've been using/endorsing the pedal for almost 2 years, and am very pleased with it. It's got the smoothness and oomph of the DW9000, and the agility and response of the Axis... rolled into one.

Bermuda
Old 01-08-2008, 01:20 AM

I have the Big Foot and really like it. Very smooth and durable. I got mine on sale for $299 from Gelb Music in Redwood City, CA. I was able to spend a few hours comparing Axis (A and X), DW9000 and the Trick and chose the Trick.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

I think I saw a pair in a music store near me, they look like a real high price, but hey, if you have the money, why not, right?!

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 01-08-2008, 04:29 AM

I use one as a backup to my Axis (Axii?)
found a good deal online.

they are solid and well-engineered. Very cool features like easy adjustability (almost everything can be tweaked right from the throne) and a great hoop clamp assembly.
If you like direct drive pedals, it's definitely worth test-driving a Trick.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

My test drive of the pro-v1 was a disappointment. Tried it on a couple different kits in the local GC. "Overpriced and sloppy" would have been the best way I could describe it. The whole aircrafttitantiumaluminum-whatever makes it feel like a solid pedal and the hoop-clamp thing is great, but it just wouldn't tension-up very tight. I felt like my feet were waiting for the footboards to catch up.

Just my experience with them.

Andy
Old 01-08-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
My test drive of the pro-v1 was a disappointment. Tried it on a couple different kits in the local GC. "Overpriced and sloppy" would have been the best way I could describe it.
Unfortunately, pedals on the sales floor get adjusted and tweaked all day long - sorta like snares getting adjusted by people who try them - and these things end up pretty far from their starting point.

Overpriced is a matter of opinion of course, and I'll agree they're expensive.

But sloppy is not something I've experienced with any of my pedals. If they can be accused of anything, it's sticking to my foot and following my every movement (for better or worse!)

I'd say that the pedal you tried (and its 4 independent adjustments*) had been manipulated enough times to be unresponsive. Too bad, it's really a sweet pedal. But that's a problem with a LOT of gear at GC and Sam Ash... the public tweaks things, and the staff doesn't change them back.

Bermuda

* Beater angle, beater height, pedal height, tension.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Unfortunately, pedals on the sales floor get adjusted and tweaked all day long - sorta like snares getting adjusted by people who try them - and these things end up pretty far from their starting point.

But sloppy is not something I've experienced with any of my pedals. If they can be accused of anything, it's sticking to my foot and following my every movement (for better or worse!)

I'd say that the pedal you tried (and its 4 independent adjustments*) had been manipulated enough times to be unresponsive. Too bad, it's really a sweet pedal. But that's a problem with a LOT of gear at GC and Sam Ash... the public tweaks things, and the staff doesn't change them back.

Bermuda

Trick has done well to appoint you as an endorsee!
I am also looking into the detonator for my new kit (whenever it gets here.)

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 01-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Bermuda

Overpriced based on peformance...that is, my opinion of it's peformance during my testing, of course. Be aware, I play an Axis AL-2 that retails for something a little less than a body part, some blood, and one of my children into slavery. I still walked out the door for less than $400. More adjustment, undeniably the heaviest weighted stock springs available, and solid reputation (I know, opinion).

I agree that pedals get "tweaked" a lot, but ...not this much. Maybe I was playing around with a bad egg...never know for sure how long it was sitting on the floor. I know the sales-rep, at the time, was a Trick-guy and he fuddled around with it for a while, trying to tighten it up...no avail...thus my perception of the Trick pedal. Granted, I'm no slouch; not mechanically retarded or illiterate. I spent long enough twisting around with it, adjusting tension, height, angle, etc....to give it a "thorough test" and still felt the way I did.

No matter how much anyone combs through these boards, and that is ANY forum concerning gear, the final judgment falls on the individual asking the questions. I'm a firm proponent of shedding my experience and pushing those interested in trying/testing for themselves. There's just too many other variables that affect the performance that are player-related to pass a judgment "through" someone else's opinion. Especially endorsers (not throwing you in the fire Bermuda...lol. You're not guilty.)

Andy
Old 01-08-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
I spent long enough twisting around with it, adjusting tension, height, angle, etc....to give it a "thorough test" and still felt the way I did.
My feeling is, a pedal that requires a lot of tweaking should be avoided. It's a shame you happened upon one that was too far gone. They're actually quite nice right out of the box, at least the original version. I don't like the Bigfoot as much.

I will confess to immediately replacing their beater - nice though it is - with something beefier, like Ludwig or DW's standard plastic beater. Much more oomph, and still plenty of control.

Bermuda
Old 01-08-2008, 06:05 PM

I played them at NAMM and it wasn't a positive experience for me. Not a good first impression. I wanted to put in a little more time with them and tweak till I felt I'd given it a fair chance. After working with it for a few weeks, I was able to dial in a much better feel for my style. I still haven't been able to get it to feel exactly as smooth and responsive as my Axis pedals, but it's very close. The closest of anything else I've tried.

but, as Andy says, it's up to the pedaler; there's probably nothing more personal on the kit than the pedal, and it's got to feel right to the user. Depending on what you're used to and what you like, my preference may be totally opposite to yours. With these high-tech models, it's imperative to get some test-drives in, though unfortunately a little time spent on one in a music store probably can't tell you everything you need to know. I guess first-hand trials + some input from various users will round it out the best.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
My feeling is, a pedal that requires a lot of tweaking should be avoided. It's a shame you happened upon one that was too far gone. They're actually quite nice right out of the box, at least the original version. I don't like the Bigfoot as much.

I will confess to immediately replacing their beater - nice though it is - with something beefier, like Ludwig or DW's standard plastic beater. Much more oomph, and still plenty of control.

Bermuda
Interesting enough...one of the first things I did with my AL-2 was replace the Sonic Hammers. They're heavy and resemble something of a fixed lawn-dart trying it's best to pierce the top of my foot.

I don't believe I tried the Bigfoot. Only pedal I ever had that looked like a foot was the old single-chain Camco. I loved those pedals...

Andy
Old 01-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
They're either taking a loss, or made a BIG mistake in the price ($214 is below dealer cost!) At that price, everybody should snag a few!

I've been using/endorsing the pedal for almost 2 years, and am very pleased with it. It's got the smoothness and oomph of the DW9000, and the agility and response of the Axis... rolled into one.

Bermuda
$241.00..........sorry...my fingers meant no harm!

I also changed the stock beater to a Danmar Maple long shaft and it feels great...smooth and powerful...oooo baby!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmrakich View Post
$241.00..........sorry...my fingers meant no harm!
Still, that's VERY close to their cost... so it's a HECK of a deal!!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:52 AM

I like the Trick beater okay, but I'm using my DW beater and like it better.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Still, that's VERY close to their cost... so it's a HECK of a deal!!
I live in Indy and there MIGHT have been special price considerations...I got them a month after they were put on sale and I think they wanted to move a few. What is the retail on them?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:53 PM

Retail on the single is $500 (495 or 499 I suppose...) and the double is $1200, which is literally a right-hand single, left-hand single, and a $200 connector. So someone buying a single and wanting to go double just needs to add the left pedal (which is actually a complete standalone pedal as well) and the connector.

Bermuda
Old 01-09-2008, 11:14 PM

Well yeah but nobody ever sells for retail price (or "list price")... Most shops sell for 60% or 50% of list price.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

I've never played one, but I've heard great things. They're suppose to be like a souped-up iron cobra, with tons of ajustment options. Thats my $0.02.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:30 PM

I wouldn't compare it to an Iron Cobra (although that's certainly a good pedal.)

I find that it's got the oomph and smoothness of a DW9000, with the agility of an Axis.

Bermuda
Old 01-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I wouldn't compare it to an Iron Cobra (although that's certainly a good pedal.)

I find that it's got the oomph and smoothness of a DW9000, with the agility of an Axis.

Bermuda
Yeah...a 10 pound sledge hammer covered in velvet.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 AM

I have a number of questions about the Trick double pedal:

1. Using single strokes (i.e. RLRL), how does it compare speed-wise with other pedals? To what bpm have people been able to go on it with singles (doing 16th notes)? Is it easier to play fast tempos with the trick pedal for anyone (fast meaning 16th notes above 200 bpm, like 200 bpm - 280bpm)?

2. Has anyone had experience with doing heel toe double strokes (i.e. RRLL) on this pedal? Is it more or less difficult to do on this pedal than on others? To what bpms has anyone been able to play 16th notes using heel toe on the trick pedal?

3. I have been using the iron cobra double chain power glide for a long time and have been able to play 16th note singles at 205 bpm for 2 minutes and 16th note heel toe at 240 bpm for about 2 minutes. I also have a pair of yamaha flying dragons which I have hardly have used but find them a little easier to do singles with, but have difficulty doing the heel toe effectively with. I changed the springs to tighter, smaller springs on both of these two pedals as I find the pedals work with my faster movements necessary to play faster tempos better with tighter springs/higher spring tension(i.e. the "sweet spot" is at a faster tempo where the pedals spring best). Anyone with a situation at all like mine who have switched to trick pedals for more speed an ease of speed while maintaining control and power?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Diseased Fish; 01-28-2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: clarity