DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-06-2008, 04:01 AM

Default My new-to-me Slingerlands

Hey all, I just joined the forum and thought I'd start by posting what I have and what I know and don't know.

My name is Drew, aka NoviceDrummer. I actually began drumming back when I was 8 or so, took lessons for about two years then just played by ear, not much technique, until I was 12 (I'm now 40). I also play guitar and that is my main instrument. My parents got tired of all the banging and my father appreciated the guitar much more (though he does appreciate all talent and any great drum player too), so they made me choose between guitar and drums. Sorry folks, I chose guitar.

Recently, after moving into a new home and constructing a studio/rehearsal room I set my sights on a set of drums so I could enjoy them again. I can still play fairly well, it came back to me, though my timing ebs and flows so I need to get better control of that. Anyway, I've attached a picture of an old Slingerland set I picked up for $375. It matched the decor (my wife liked that :) and was a good price, plus for some reason I always wanted a set of Slingerlands. Not sure why.

As far as I can tell the set is late 70s or early 80s vintage, though I have seen a mid 60s models with the same specs, and wooden kick ball. If anyone has more info on this kit it would be great. I'm settling on 79-81 vintage because the serial numbers fall in that range according to a site I checked out recently. Not sure what the site was.

The drums sport a 3-ply maple shell, I think. Looks like maple anyway. Snare is a Yamaha steel snare from a Power-V kit. Original hi-hat stand, which slips so I have to fix that. Original items are the shells, hi-hat stand and crash stand. Kick pedal is original too. Yes, that's a speaker mounted in the kick for recording purposes, with a condenser about 18 inches in front of the head for natural tone. I have the set mic'd with matched stereo overheads, one mic on the snare and the kick setup. That's it. The recordings sound pretty nice. though. Any advise on tuning for these open toms? I've got a 12, 14 and 16 floor tom.

Anyway, hope to learn more about what I have and what I can do with it through these forums. That's all for now.

Best regards!

Last edited by NoviceDrummer; 01-06-2008 at 04:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-06-2008, 04:12 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My new-to-me Slingerlands

Welcome back! You know, drumming is really like the Hotel California- you can check out any time, but you can never leave.

Also welcome to the forums, you can be sure to learn a lot of great things about drumming (and not about drumming) here. Keep us informed about your return to drumming!

EDIT: I just saw your question about tuning. Well, here a website that's a very good place to start: http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

Last edited by stasz; 01-06-2008 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:29 AM
Platinum Member

Do they have bottom heads. It looks like they have rims but i don't see lugs.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:51 AM

No bottom heads,just a dress ring. Are they considered concert toms? Floor tom is the same.

Bass had a cracked front hoop but my handy woodworking skills :), some wood glue, clamps, and paint fixed it right up.

Last edited by NoviceDrummer; 01-07-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-06-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Welcome back! You know, drumming is really like the Hotel California- you can check out any time, but you can never leave.

Also welcome to the forums, you can be sure to learn a lot of great things about drumming (and not about drumming) here. Keep us informed about your return to drumming!
You're absolutely right, you can never leave. I loved it then and I love it now. Just something about sitting down and being able to bang out some halfway decent rhythms is very rewarding.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceDrummer View Post
No bottom heads,just a dress ring. Are they considered concert toms? Floor tom is the same.
Yes, concert toms. Nice kit. Great price. The shells are probably keller shells. Nothing wrong with that. Welcome.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:11 PM

Here is a shot of one of the tom shells. I double checked a Slingerland badge timeline reference I found online to confirm and it looks like this kit was made between 79-81. It's a Niles era model.

I still have some tweaking to do and some repairs but it plays nicely. I lubed the lugs and retuned all the heads when I got it, now I just have to figure out if the hi-hat can be fixed. The pedal will slip too the floor when a little pressure is applied. I can usually turn the adjustment knob at the bottom a bit and it will work fine for a while, but inevitably, floomp, so it's not that reliable. I'm thinking a new hi-hat stand may be the way to go, but If I can fix the original I'd like to keep it with the kit.

Last edited by NoviceDrummer; 01-06-2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 01-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

very nice kit, and for the price, I don't think you can go wrong!

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 01-07-2008, 03:43 AM
Gold Member

Did the cymbals come with it? That might be the real find with older kits these days =) Nice slingys, beautiful quilting on the inside of that shell
Old 01-07-2008, 01:50 PM

The hi-hat cymbals might be original, I actually haven't looked closely enough at those. Don't recall a brand name.

As for the others, I bought them with the kit but they aren't originals. One is a Tosco 18" crash/ride and the other is a Paste 16 crash. The 16 sounds nice. Tosco has a deep tone, really just like "Bwooosh" with a bit of an extended "oooooong" at the end, and I mainly ride closer to the bell when I'm using it for that. I don't like the various overtones when riding closer to the edge.