DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

Default Flat Based Snare Stand?

Bought an old 60's 5 1/2 x 14 wmp Slingerland and need a stand. I'm using a dw 9000 heavy duty with my Black Beauty and would like to have a lighter one as a second stand. Was thinking of a flat based stand like this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...and?sku=443357

Do any of you own this dw flat based or one like it? Any input?

Thanks. Joey
Old 01-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Flat Based Snare Stand?

Do any of you own this dw flat based or one like it? Any input?

Flat based is lame, unless your in a retro cover band and need a period look. Get the Gibraltar 7706, light weight, stable.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 AM
fourstringdrums

Well I wouldn't say that flat base is Lame..it's all personal opinion.

I personally would go with the Gibraltar. It's just as sturdy and reliable as the DW but only about $45.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Colonel Bat Guano

Needlessly overweight hardware is lame. I second the Gibraltar 8600 series suggestion. The rubber feet are designed in such a way as to allow you to get the base of the stand up off the floor if you don't want the entire base touching the floor. You can even sneak mic cables under the stands when you do it this way. Like fourstring says, these are very sturdy, well made stands.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:25 AM

I've got the DW flat-based stand and I dig it. It's plenty sturdy.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the input guys. Really appreciated and further proof why this site is so fabulous. I'm going with a completely different stand for the reasons that follow. I think you'll want to stop reading now so as to avoid suffering through the analysis of what amounts to time that would have been better served at the practice pad. OK, better served anywhere else. I mean, this is only a snare stand purchase, right.

The 7706 appears to have the same size tubes (1" and 3/4") as DW's lightweight offering, the 9300 L, (an 8 lb lightweight!), so approximately the same weight.
http://www.steveweissmusic.com/produ...re-drum-stands
http://www.dwdrums.com/hardware/9300L.htm

I agree, unecessary weight is lame. I presently own a heavy duty stand in the DW 9300, so I don't need another for that task. I also think there's nothing wrong with flat based stands as they certainly appear to be well balanced and stable. The DW 6300 flat base weighs in at just under 6lb's and has that retro style some of the guys are looking for. But, I don't think it would fit in well with my present set up. By the way, I read somewhere, that Peter Erskine uses the DW 6300 snare stand (and certainly no one would suggest he couldn't use anything he wanted from the DW line) because he thinks it contributes to a better sounding instrument ... something about the vibrations, if I recall correctly. Since Petey and I don't have not much in common at the moment, I think I'll consider those "better sounding" issues at a date down the road.

For my purposes, I think the features of the DW 9000 line outweigh those of the Gib and the 6300 flat based. I will use the black handle quick adjustment as it provides quick and easy infinite adjustment to the angle of the snare, something I use almost weekly. Also, the offset basket feature accomodates the double pedal with a couple extra inches of setup flexibility, something I suppose I take advatange of with each use. I also like the fact that I can switch baskets between the 9300 L and the 9300.

Since I can get the DW 9300 L to my door for US $70, only $20 or so more than the 7706, I plan to go with it. Actually, I'd probably be better off spending this money on a decent snare case rather than on a stand, as a stand will only get used when I bring in the other snare from the sidelines. Thanks again for the help and input from all. I know this was way too long, but hey, you were warned in advance. Joey

Last edited by joeybeats; 01-07-2008 at 04:38 PM.